Installing a Manual Oil Pressure Gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a major oil leak that I am trying to fix but I also have something wrong with my oil pressure. When I am idling, the oil pressure gauge is almost at the "L" on the gauge. If I rev the engine, the oil pressure goes up a bit. iron_giant thinks that there is something wrong with the idiot gauge itself so I need to install a manual gauge to check to see if there really is something wrong with my oil pressure.

So, how do I install a manual oil pressure gauge? Any suggestions?

:beer: Chad

I've done this at least three ways. Use a t-fitting and run the stock sending unit and an aftermarket oil gauge off the port under the oil filter. Discard the stock sending unit and plug the aftermarket oil gauge line into the sending unit port. Or drill and tap one of the large bolts that holds on the side oil cooler and mount the oil line there.

iron_giant thinks that there is something wrong with the idiot gauge itself

It's common knowledge that the stock gauges suck. A mechanical oilpressure gauge is a valuable addition to your dash. I used a T fitting from Ace hardware in the original sender location, a 3 foot 1/8th" SS line and an Autometer gauge.

It's common knowledge that the stock gauges suck. A mechanical oilpressure gauge is a valuable addition to your dash. I used a T fitting from Ace hardware in the original sender location, a 3 foot 1/8th" SS line and an Autometer gauge.

Where can I find the original sender to T into?

My factory gauge is sitting in the middle and doesn't move

Changing the sender is the easiest option and they are not expensive. My new to me 62 had the oil pressure pegged to max, I changed the sender and it works fine, though I still don't trust factory gauges

Depends on what year engine you have...

Good point, his sig line shows a 12H-T, I have no idea where the sender is, not to mention it might be a 24V motor. I'd bet the Mr.T used the same style sender for these motors as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom