Installed Terrain Tamer Brake Pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed front and rear Terrain Tamer brake pads that I got from my friend Rob at Odd Iron Off Road. I actually put OEM pads on my 2010 Subaru Forester this morning and decided while I already had all the tools out and setup that I would go ahead and install the Terrain Tamer pads I had waiting on my 2005 LX470. Fairly easy job. The pads were a perfect fit. They come in a terrain tamer box with a pair of front and rear pads that are sealed in plastic. each pad has a shim on the back of it. I reused the clips on the front and rear calipers. The pads installed easily without any issues. Everything fit perfectly. I took the LX470 for a test drive after completion and it stops very well. The powerstop pads which were placed on it by the previous owner did not seem to grip nearly as well. The vehicle seems to have better stopping power, I will keep you updated. My wife drives this vehicle 80% of the time so I will see what she thinks of the pads and update this thread. Overall I am very happy with the terrain tamer pads at this time. I used generic Valvoline dot 3/4 fluid to flush the system which I assume also helped some. If you are in need of new pads I would consider terrain tamer pads. I have a pic below of the item numbers.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Tredwards - Rob is a great resource for the community and we appreciate his trust.

I recently ordered a new 200 and look forward to swapping out the OE pads for the TT units after things get broken in.

Cheers,

Ward Harris

What are the advantages of these pads vs OEM?

I will defer to @wardharris . They actually have a couple different options for replacement pads.

I'm interested to hear more if you could chime in @wardharris. I'll be in the market for pads and rotors soon.

I am not the tech guy on the Cruiser Brothers team - Georg Esterer at Valley Hybrids (@orangefj45) knows what he is doing in all things automotive - especially Land Cruisers. Will try and channel Georg and some customers with some comments and let him chime in. If all else fails, suggest you shoot him a PM to set up a phone call.

So, basically, what we have seen and heard: Through customer and shop installs on 40, 60, 70, 80, 100, 200 and FJC Cruisers, the pads offer less noise, straight stopping, reduced dusting, less fade, no "wobbles" and less pedal effort/better pedal feel. Some of those comments came from rigs with TT rotors installed at the same time, others were pads only.

When rotors are installed, some wobble and pulsing problems have been solved. Longer term reports form Australia and Europe suggest longer rotor and pad life due to cooling and beveled edges on the drilled areas. Heat from heavy use, long downhill runs and heavily loaded expedition and industrial rigs provide excellent results.

These components are going on armored Land Cruisers weighing over 12,000 lbs. Same benefits observed.

So much for the good news.....the bad news - FJ Cruisers have multiple rear rotors and it is bloody awful trying to figure which the customer has. Fitment for the rears can be a b*tch. No other bad news. We have sold many pad sets and rotors direct to end user doing DIY and also to our partner shops. No complaints, gripes, nits, etc. Georg runs them on his 100 and I have a new 200 on order that will get a set of pads after the rotors get broken in.

There are two grades - TT (standard use) and TTC (extra heavy duty), the latter supposedly holding up better on very heavy rigs and heavy use.

Give Georg a shout or check out the web store.

Thanks!

PS Check out Trollhole's 200/Tundra hybrid build at this link. Terrain Tamer brakes and a couple of Harrop elockers with 35s.....saweet!

200 Series Icon stage 5 hybrid lift

upload_2017-8-10_17-21-37.png

I build mostly 60/62 series and use Terrain Tamer Pads and rotors exclusively. I just completed a 62 with an LS3 swap so improvement in the braking was on the build sheet. Hauling this truck down from 60 MPH in a hurry will test your seat belts. Stomping on the brakes will start slowing you before all 4 corners lock up. Very manageable emergency stops.

About 5 years ago I did both of my axles rebuild with new brakes on my 80 series with Terrain Tamer parts.
I think the massive advertisement by 4WD Action worked on me, I was very happy with the product.
Two years after the rebuild I sold the tuck with no issues.
Recommended

Very, very happy with the TT brake setup on my '06. Stopping is way better than my '99 but also has a lot less crap bolted to it.

Supplied by @wardharris and installed by @beno

Doesn't get much better than that! Thanks guys!

Very, very happy with the TT brake setup on my '06. Stopping is way better than my '99 but also has a lot less crap bolted to it.

Did you go with the standard setup or the heavy duty?

I did same but i went with the rotors as well and new oem calipers and SS brake lines and earls self bleeders(one man) and its got brakes at least 50% better than when I got her service was great shipping was fast

Thanks for the review Ben!

IMG_1271.JPG
We've installed a number of the Terrain Tamer rotors and pads on various cruisers including my 100 and HJ60. I and my customers have been very happy with the results; more breaking power and shorter braking distance.
Here's a pic of the recent work on the HJ60; full knuckle rebuild and brake upgrade, utilizing all Terrain Tamer components.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Interested in feedback from people running Terrain Tamer pads with non TT rotors. I am not a fan of cross drilled rotors or the price associated with them.

I am thinking of using OEM or brembo rotors

Interested in feedback from people running Terrain Tamer pads with non TT rotors. I am not a fan of cross drilled rotors or the price associated with them.

I am thinking of using OEM or brembo rotors
Reports are good for TT plus OEM rotors. Not as good as tt slotted/drilled/beveled but much better than OEM or aftermarket.

Please be sure to resurface your rotors if you go this route with current/installed rotors.

Good luck and thanks!

I am not a fan of cross drilled rotors or the price associated with them.

I'm curious if it is just the price you don't like or if there's something else (performance, longevity, etc.)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom