OEM CV installed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just had a set of new CVs installed at Lexus. When I checked for the tell tale sign of the yellow bands to make sure the CVS were OEM I found that there was only 1 yellow band on each. Pictures below, however I also got the box that both came in which appears to be OEM. Thoughts? Are these new OEM CVs and they no longer have two yellow bands?
IMG_1858.jpeg

IMG_1859.jpeg

Yep-OEM. They changed to a single yellow band some time back.

Yep-OEM. They changed to a single yellow band some time back.
Do you or does anyone know when it was changed to single yellow band? I did my one side in January and the old cv was also single yellow (see photo). So knowing that would really help me date other side - which is also cracked following my lift. If its relatively knew i'm only going to do the boots and save some dough this time.

CV ax.jpg

for some reason I am thinking a Lexus dealership would only install OEM parts

For a while some Toyota cv axles had no yellow. I bought a pair from McGeorge Toyota (now ourisman) in early 2023 and they were all silver banded. Here's a post from 2001lc also discussing it.

Yellow bands do indicate OEM, but there are OEM TOYOTA cvs out there that came with all silver banding.

I just purchased some Reboot kits from Partsouq and they came with 2 yellow bands per kit. They must be clearing out old inventory? I wonder if the reboot kits come with just 1 now?

for some reason I am thinking a Lexus dealership would only install OEM parts
They will only install Toyota/Lexus branded parts, but they've also started offering remanufactured parts due to the cost of the new parts (I am guessing). You could get a reman, but the price would be substantially lower. I also think they have a -84 on the end of the part number if its reman.

Do you or does anyone know when it was changed to single yellow band? I did my one side in January and the old cv was also single yellow (see photo). So knowing that would really help me date other side - which is also cracked following my lift. If its relatively knew i'm only going to do the boots and save some dough this time.

View attachment 3570730
I bought OEM from McGeorge in like March 2021 and they had the two yellow bands. I bought the driver side in Feb. 2022 and it was one yellow band. Hope that helps some!

How much does it cost to have a dealer install 2 CV shafts this day and age?
Just under $2k (including the inner seals on the differential housing). It hurt…

If I had done it myself I think I would have saved about $1k in labor from what I can tell. The parts with shipping would have run me about ~$1k for the new OEM and Seals from what I can find. Had the dealer give me the old CVs back so I can reboot and have a spare set if/when needed to swap when the boots on the new ones go in 100k miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom