Installed bumpers from Dissent Off-Road and quick write up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to Dissent Off-Road (Colfax, California) yesterday to get their aluminum / steel front bumper installed on my 2020 Heritage Edition. Been slowly but surely upgrading the Cruiser. It already had step sliders and roof rack from Dissent, which I really like for its looks, function, and craftsmanship. Arrived about 0820 hours and was met by the owner, Ben Calhoon. Been bugging Ben weekly since November with questions about upgrades and order status of the parts I ordered from him :))

To my surprise, Ben asked about my schedule, and said that the rear bumper I ordered was ready as well. I said “Let’s do it!” since I was on vacation and came prepared this time. Maybe Ben wanted me to bug him less by giving me one less item to bug him about haha. To those who have never been to the shop, Ben has manufacturing and installation all in one building. There’s a waiting area with comfortable chairs and a tv with the Samsung tv service. There’s a kids area as well. The last time I was there I didn’t bring a phone charger and restaurants were a bit far away. This time I brought chargers, a book, lunch, and dinner. It was actually a nice place to be if one wants to enjoy peace and quiet. The shop was busy with humming and crackles coming from the machines and welding in the manufacturing area. But I digress.

The fit and finish of the bumpers were excellent, and so was the welding done to put them together. The bumpers definitely provided a lot more function and increased approach and departure angles quite a lot. The powder coating was also top notch. I was surprised at how heavy the steel factory bumper was behind all that plastic.

It was a treat to have Ben himself do the installation. Since I’ve known him, his business has grown and he has been quite busy with running things, so I must say I was lucky he had the time to do the install. Time went by fast. Whenever I got bored I walked around and admired the 40 series Cruiser from Brazil he had at the shop (I think it was fit with 39” tires), the 1990 LC 60 he just got, and the Ford F-250 Tremor that he built a custom aluminum flatbed for.

At 1720 hours, Ben had both bumpers installed, including the Comeup winch and Rigid Fog lights. That’s pretty impressive considering he did it by himself and indicates he’s done quite a few installations. After some instructions on how to use some of the accessories, I was on my merry way back home.

I noticed a little bit more wind noise coming at freeway speeds, but other than that the cruiser drove as smooth as it always has. I expected a MPG drop from added weight and the less aerodynamic bumper, but to my surprise it actually stayed the same. So other than a bit more wind noise, I gained a lot more functionality and clearance with the bumpers. I have a feeling that even with the winch the overall weight may have been the same or a bit less than the factory bumper. In terms of looks, it definitely looks meaner and less of a typical SUV look. I am definitely happy with them and look forward to trying them out in the trails.

Here are some photos of the install and the finished product. The light bar and fog lights are Rigid Industries products. The roof rack, slider steps, and bumpers are all Dissent Off Road.

The parts weren’t cheap, but you get what you pay for. Giving business to someone local is a plus in my book. If I have any issues with the product or install, it’s just a drive away.

Next in my list will be Dissent skid plates, tire swing out, camp kitchen, awning system, and BP-51 suspension. Time to work more overtime : / to pay for them.

1E7A5915-7B7A-46C3-AA9F-6DFD12FA8AAB.jpeg

EBE3B4C7-14BF-4433-9096-23747F31422B.jpeg

04510DF8-0C1C-4F1D-8A9D-49CD9CDD8118.jpeg

EB825E10-33C9-4E08-A8EA-34CDAB6F3313.jpeg

C24AC8B7-0CC7-4FFF-A08F-8AD7DFF9668D.jpeg

Last edited:
I went to Dissent Off-Road (Colfax, California) yesterday to get their aluminum / steel front bumper installed on my 2020 Heritage Edition. Been slowly but surely upgrading the Cruiser. It already had step sliders and roof rack from Dissent, which I really like for its looks, function, and craftsmanship. Arrived about 0820 hours and was met by the owner, Ben Calhoon. Been bugging Ben weekly since November with questions about upgrades and order status of the parts I ordered from him :))

To my surprise, Ben asked about my schedule, and said that the rear bumper I ordered was ready as well. I said “Let’s do it!” since I was on vacation and came prepared this time. Maybe Ben wanted me to bug him less by giving me one less item to bug him about haha. To those who have never been to the shop, Ben has manufacturing and installation all in one building. There’s a waiting area with comfortable chairs and a tv with the Samsung tv service. There’s a kids area as well. The last time I was there I didn’t bring a phone charger and restaurants were a bit far away. This time I brought chargers, a book, lunch, and dinner. It was actually a nice place to be if one wants to enjoy peace and quiet. The shop was busy with humming and crackles coming from the machines and welding in the manufacturing area. But I digress.

The fit and finish of the bumpers were excellent, and so was the welding done to put them together. The bumpers definitely provided a lot more function and increased approach and departure angles quite a lot. The powder coating was also top notch. I was surprised at how heavy the steel factory bumper was behind all that plastic.

It was a treat to have Ben himself do the installation. Since I’ve known him, his business has grown and he has been quite busy with running things, so I must say I was lucky he had the time to do the install. Time went by fast. Whenever I got bored I walked around and admired the 40 series Cruiser from Brazil he had at the shop (I think it was fit with 39” tires), the 1990 LC 60 he just got, and the Ford F-250 Tremor that he built a custom aluminum flatbed for.

At 1720 hours, Ben had both bumpers installed, including the Comeup winch and Rigid Fog lights. That’s pretty impressive considering he did it by himself and indicates he’s done quite a few installations. After some instructions on how to use some of the accessories, I was on my merry way back home.

I noticed a little bit more wind noise coming at freeway speeds, but other than that the cruiser drove as smooth as it always has. I expected a MPG drop from added weight and the less aerodynamic bumper, but to my surprise it actually stayed the same. So other than a bit more wind noise, I gained a lot more functionality and clearance with the bumpers. I have a feeling that even with the winch the overall weight may have been the same or a bit less than the factory bumper. In terms of looks, it definitely looks meaner and less of a typical SUV look. I am definitely happy with them and look forward to trying them out in the trails.

Here are some photos of the install and the finished product. The light bar and fog lights are Rigid Industries products. The roof rack, slider steps, and bumpers are all Dissent Off Road.

The parts weren’t cheap, but you get what you pay for. Giving business to someone local is a plus in my book. If I have any issues with the product or install, it’s just a drive away.

Next in my list will be Dissent skid plates, tire swing out, camp kitchen, awning system, and BP-51 suspension. Time to work more overtime : / to pay for them.

If you think his new place is far from restaurants, you should have seen his old shop 😂

But seriously they look great and that’s a nice write up of your experience.

Im surprised you picked up extra wind noise. I didn’t experience that at all.

If you think his new place is far from restaurants, you should have seen his old shop 😂

But seriously they look great and that’s a nice write up of your experience.

Im surprised you picked up extra wind noise. I didn’t experience that at all.
When one is old and out of shape, anything farther than 2 blocks is too far 😂.

The extra wind noise isn’t too noticeable unless driving freeway on a windy day. In city driving I don’t notice anything. Most of the time when you modify car for extra capability there’s a trade off of some kind. A bit of wind noise is worth the extra clearance and the good looks. It turns heads for sure, especially when it’s someone driving a Toyota TRD Pro. Once you know you know lol.

The welds on Dissent products should be considered art, I'm glad he doesn't grind them down. I've been looking at Dissent for a front bumper as well; what does it run fully kitted with the lights and winch? Around $3.5k?
If I remember correctly it was closer to $4k, but that includes installation. Probably close to your figure without labor. There’s no way I’d be able to install the bumper as quick as Ben did. Even with instructions it would probably take me a few weeks haha and not sure if it would be done correctly. So it’s totally worth it to me to have someone else install it who happens to be an expert. And I agree. The weld marks is their signature in my opinion. When I see it I automatically think dissent. It’s what caught my eye when I first learned of them. My buddy had one of their bumpers in his GX 460 and I automatically thought wow this looks cool and something Mad Max would do if he has welding skills haha. And a powder coat machine. 🤣

I've been looking at Dissent for a front bumper as well; what does it run fully kitted with the lights and winch? Around $3.5k?
The full replacement (2016+) is $2,250.
Powder coat is $225.
The 12.5rs Comeup is $1,245.
The 6” rigid sae lights are $440.
I’m not sure about shipping or install.

View attachment 2661633

View attachment 2661634

View attachment 2661636

View attachment 2661655

View attachment 2661656
Awesome. I have the same front bumper/fogs and side steps on order (no winch for me), hopefully shipping in a week or two. Same color LC as well. I'm going to have my installer color match the bumper to the vehicle. Your LC looks great. . .can't wait for mine to be done.

Awesome. I have the same front bumper/fogs and side steps on order (no winch for me), hopefully shipping in a week or two. Same color LC as well. I'm going to have my installer color match the bumper to the vehicle. Your LC looks great. . .can't wait for mine to be done.
Just curious the usage you have for a bumper like this where you would skip the winch? Is it more for animal strike prevention than offroad usage?

Just curious the usage you have for a bumper like this where you would skip the winch? Is it more for animal strike prevention than offroad usage?

Yep, we camp quite a bit (in fact, we’re thinking of full time RV living for a few years) and wanted animal strike protection without adding a ton of weight.

Thanks! I’m looking at bumper options and trying to formulate pros/cons of different options. I want better approach and departure angles, but also need the “corners” higher and better protected- they seem to be the most frequent scrape zone on the body in the rocky east coast trails I’m doing now. I like the idea of lighter, but I think I need steel for impact strength as the trails I do get harder. I watched the FJ cruiser I was following (with an expert driver) smash down on his bumper several times and dread what that would have done if they were aluminum (the rear was a Kaymar steel).

Thanks! I’m looking at bumper options and trying to formulate pros/cons of different options. I want better approach and departure angles, but also need the “corners” higher and better protected- they seem to be the most frequent scrape zone on the body in the rocky east coast trails I’m doing now. I like the idea of lighter, but I think I need steel for impact strength as the trails I do get harder. I watched the FJ cruiser I was following (with an expert driver) smash down on his bumper several times and dread what that would have done if they were aluminum (the rear was a Kaymar steel).

Definitely a consideration. I don’t do trail running per se, so Ben’s design made the most sense.

thanks for this write up. I've been considering Dissent's rear bumper so this is good info.

I plan on the ARB front because it's airbag tested and I like the full bull bar on the front for animal strikes. I also like the looks and have had several ARB bull bars over the years. But ARB's rear bumper lacks the functionality and options of Dissent and Slee.

nice write up! I just spent about 18/20 hours over the holiday weekend installing my front and rear bumpers...... and Im not even 100% done yet. Paying to have them do it all is not a bad idea at all!

nice write up! I just spent about 18/20 hours over the holiday weekend installing my front and rear bumpers...... and Im not even 100% done yet. Paying to have them do it all is not a bad idea at all!
pics or it never happened!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom