install time? on wiring harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey I'm putting a V8 into my fj40 and didn't even consider a new wiring harness and was just gonna do a bare bones wiring by myself. but new thought bring more expenses, the tub is off the frame and is going on a new frame, tub is getting new paint and the truck is getting a new engine so I thought this was a good idear'

I'm def. getting the EZ wiring kit and i have basic knowledge of wiring principles....

is it fairly straight foward process? how long did it take you guys to do?

thanks everybody!

Is this tbi or carb?

If it's tbi and you have the factory harness it's not too bad, think only like seven or eight wires connect to the lc harness.

with stock tbi/ fuel injection harness- long time to weed through and clean up. Carb'd- you can use the wiring you have now.
I spent about a month working on my wiring, but I didnt work on it every day and I soldered every wire with shrinkwrap and weather packs without the special crimping tool It took many weeks.

-Dustin

bandy rooster said:
just a carbed 350

3 months come on? what do you work on it 3 minutes a day, twice a week?

That's about right. :D

Without the soldering, heat shrinking and guessing at WTF the PO did, prolly would've had it done in a few days.

Dive in and find out just how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop...

Completly replacing the harness on the vehicle?

You could easily spend 40+ hours on installing it so that it will work without question everytime....or you can throw one at it, and then be chasing sparks and hopefully catching the shorts before it burns your truck and anything else down. ;)

The Land Cruiser could be a hobby to some, and they may only have a few hours a week that they can commit to the project, which would take them a LONG TIME to do anything, compared to someone that does not have as many things going on in thier life comparatively....

Good luck!

-Steve

Do you want it running or looking nice and running. Took me 1 solid week with the use of Centech fuse block and *some of my old harness. Updated a bunch and added in some extra nice to haves in the future... electric fan, on board air, rock lights, fog lights, radio, in cab lights, CB, etc. Saves you time when you go to install the hardware.

I would figure out what you want now and in the future and build it.

If your dedicated and have eveything lined up...1-2 weeks.

My :banana: .02.

Let me know if you need any :bounce: rah rah support:bounce2: ..

Cheers

Bandy, I did the same thing, got the EZ harness and it took a long time. I guess if I had worked on it for an hour or two a night, doing it the same way that I did before it might take a few (2-4) weeks. and I say this thinking about how I had my cruiser when I started it; no wiring of any kind in the cruiser, no gauges, no switches, purely from scratch.

It is not so much the time that it actually takes to throw it in there, but the time to think about what needs to be run where, and what needs to be included that EZ might have run somewhere different. So it is exactly like poser said, It is all about figuring out the little things that makes it time consuming.

One example I have is that I needed an additional line for a second fuel sender. Well the harness didn't come with this, so I had to add a line, and run it through the same loom and conduit (all my wiring underneath is in plastic conduit) as everything else. This just took time.

I also assume that you are actually soldering and heat-shrinking the connections, as this takes a bit of time.

Also make sure you put the headlight fuse in when you are done! It is not already in the fuse block. This pissed me off for a while before I looked at the fuse panel and saw that it was missing.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. It was a really big accomplishment rewiring the whole cruiser, now I know exactly where every wire is and what it does.

Good luck

i'm not trying to rush it or anything poser... i'm not that half ass. I just have a lot of things to do and was guaging some reply's i wanna have this done in time for june to drive down to FL because my father is practically given me the "boot" his G/F and him are getting married and she hates me so everything i do is calculated in with time and money... I give everything my best in doing this and spend every second of time on it... so hardy har har

It took two of us about a month, and we worked on it about 2 full weekends, and about 6 hours during each week. The 40+ hours sounds about right. We completely replaced stock wiring and reconstructed the hazard-brake-turnsignal connections according to the OEM harness. Crimping and heat-shrinking, adding multiple accessories, working with primary and secondary fuseblocks, and documenting every detail of the existing wiring as we found it as well as every detail of the new wiring.

Has never refused to start or run.

the only real new thing on there will be the ford taurus fan (in the mail on the way from Ebay (60 shipped)). I'll have to wire the alt. which shouldn't be to bad. what did you guys do with wires for the dash and high beams and what not?

I am doing one right now on my 45 and it will take some time. at least to do it right. It comes with alot but you will have to reuse some of the old or get some more new for stuff like the windshield wipers and stuff like that. Biggest thing is to document all the old and new. And hope you did not have a PO like i did and have 2 light switches hooked up in tandem. Still trying to figure that one out.

bandy rooster said:
i'm not trying to rush it or anything poser... i'm not that half ass.

No one, including myself, accused you of being half-assed. Please read the reply, and stop at that. There is not a hidden meaning or anything implied in what I write....

bandy rooster said:
I just have a lot of things to do and was guaging some reply's i wanna have this done in time for june to drive down to FL because my father is practically given me the "boot" his G/F and him are getting married and she hates me so everything i do is calculated in with time and money... I give everything my best in doing this and spend every second of time on it... so hardy har har

You are wading into the scope-creep pool.....

If I were you, I would list EVERYTHING that needs to be done to the truck yet, BEFORE you tear into the wiring, and put an estimated completion time to it. Everything, every little task. When you have those numbers, add them all up, and multiply that total by 1.5 or 2.0. This should give you a close figure for time remaining on what you still need to complete. I then would figure at least 50+ hours for the wiring man. There are going to be things that you run into that will make you stop progress, grab a book, or come out here and post up questions, etc. Then when you think that you have it somewhat close and looking good, you will find that you left something out, and need to start over. It eventually happens to everyone on a project.

A friend is building a buggy right now. He started this back in December. He bent up his complete tube frame and cage and had his rear 4-link suspension set up in about two weeks. Then had the drive train and front axle set in the chassis a week later and had a Land Cruiser 40 series front cowl and clip on it in another week. He made the comment to me that he was really kicking ass on this thing, and figured that it would be done in about another six weeks. I kind of laughed and said wait until you get to all the little s***. “You will be glad that you were able to accomplish what you have so far in this short amount of time.” Well about three weeks ago, he called to yap about something, and I asked him how his build was going, and I was told to get bent.

s*** always happens with projects. Having a set schedule is nice, but sometimes difficult to stick to...

Good luck!

-Steve

Come on guys, with a little planning and some common sense 20 to 30 hours easy. I just finished my 40 up about two weeks ago and spent 20 hours wiring and 2 hours double checking and trouble shooting. That included shrink wraping everything and running additional circuts for extra goodies. I used an EZ 21 and it was a snap. Lay the harnes out next to the rig before you start then eliminate what you don't need. Check all switches out before you begin a questionable switch will make troubleshooting a pain in the *?/@. I had a bad ignition switch that worked fine until I fiddled with it, most of the two hours was spent figuring it out. Now bright lights and runs solid soaking wet. Good luck Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom