Inspecting Timing Belt (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My timing belt was changed at 90K miles but now I am 185K so 95K on. I need take children on a 3,000 mile journey and I need decide if this is risky or should I change belt again. I know following the belt changing FAQ how to get to the part where the left cover is removed, but I want to know if there is a quicker way to get to that point where I can see the belt?

I also know many have said a belt really goes in less than twice the allotted life so maybe I just should not worry and go?

If the belt you have now is OEM, I think you should be OK with the 3000-mile trip. Why not open the cover, it is easy but don't drop inside the belt area. My car (toy) had its first timing belt change at 177K miles. Yes, it was in bad shape with tons of cracks but it ran without any issues.

The 90k service interval is what is recommended, you can go twice that. You're fine.
There is no way to "inspect" the timing belt without doing half the job anyway, so might as well do the whole thing.
You're fine. Take your trip and don't worry.

Provided your water pump isn't leaking...and the other components (pulleys, tensioner, bearings) are good...the belt should be of no concern to you. Rarely do the timing belts fail from just fatigue (even on vehicles with twice the recommended mileage).

Its usually a bearing that fails (seizes) or the water pump dumps coolant on everything in there until something fails, that causes the belt to fail.

IF all of those components are good (or you KNOW they were replaced with the 1st belt replacement) then I wouldn't worry in the least about the timing belt. Go on your trip, have fun, do belt later at your leisure.

My truck had 117,000 on it and the belt still looked new, I was more worried about the LX being 18 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom