In need of a 54mm Spindle Socket Urgently (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys ! First post here, I’m redoing my breaks and having some serious issues getting off the spindle nuts. If anybody is local between San Diego to Hemet and could loan me the 54mm spindle socket/ or a hand I’ll gladly reimburse with a case of beer.

IMG_7540.jpeg

Have you tried local autoparts or tool stores, they may carry something that will work or which can be modified.

Last edited:
Agreed
I think i saw one in O'Riellys. And i bought new hub nuts for a 4Runner from o'riellys

Shade tree method with no 54mm socket . . .

Nuts are cheap, if you can get them when you need them.

Use a hammer and a large screwdriver, or small sharp cold chisel, ¼" pin punch might also work if it has a sharp shoulder . . .
Put the screwdriver against the point of the nut , use hammer to drive nut anti clockwise to undo it.
You'll need to do this from multiple corners to crack the nut loose and get it moving.

The screwdriver will dig into the nut, the nut will end up burred up. File the burrs flat to re-use the nuts, or replace before reassembling.

There's not much gap between the hub and the nut to get in there, but it works, it's also the only method a lot of workshops will use because they won't have a 54mm socket.
You can't get adequate preload on the bearings if you reassemble with the same method, but it's a good method for a bush repair ( or for a shonky shop)

IMG_7540.jpeg

Drive screwdriver in direction of red arrows. Use as much angle as possible to drive it around the circle, you need to get the angle right so the screwdriver bites into the nut, and drives it anti clockwise too
I'd maybe use screwdriver and hsmner to disassemble so you can keep moving. Order new nuts and a 54mm socket from @cruiseroutfit at cruiserteq.com

This is waht the shadetree mechanics do all the time. It'll work, just don't put them back on that way.

This is waht the shadetree mechanics do all the time. It'll work, just don't put them back on that way.

Every cruiser I've bought, nuts have been removed/replaced with this method at some point in the past. And that includes a fleet vehicle that was service in s shop somewhere.

You just can't get enough preload on them, but majority of workshops set wheel bearings by feel anyway.

Every cruiser I've bought, nuts have been removed/replaced with this method at some point in the past. And that includes a fleet vehicle that was service in s shop somewhere.

You just can't get enough preload on them, but majority of workshops set wheel bearings by feel anyway.
Mine, too.

Other sources if you can wait a few days for it:

Amazon product ASIN B000N35N24

OR, a 2-1/8" 12 point socket should fit depending some on how much damage there is to the nut:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom