In Australia hunting parts for my Troopy, Anybody need anything? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious: Aussie spec tailights differ how?

RoscoFJ73--Not sure I'm understanding you. The inner reinforcing bracket is what I was trying to illustrate in my photo. It is located inside the structure of the door (i.e. in the cavity between the exterior body panel and the interior metal structural panel of the door), and appears for all the world to be an integral part of the door. I don't see it in the photo of the Troopy door you attached, but the angle might not be right. I'm still relatively new to all this, and am just trying to get an OEM tire carrier for my Troopy, so if you have info on a bolt-in alternative, I'm all ears. If you could supply photos of how it all goes together, or an exploded view diagram, that would be very helpful.

I suppose it's not the Australian tail lights that are anything special, they're perfectly normal--red brake and running lights on top, clear reversing lights in the middle, and amber turn indicators at the bottom of each. It's the European spec lights (which is what my France sourced Troopy has) that are unusual. The left side tail light has a blackout cover on the top, a "fog light" (apparently to alert trailing motorists to your presence in foggy conditions) in the middle, and clear reversing light at the bottom, while the right side tail light has a blackout cover over the top and middle, and a clear reversing light at the bottom. The running lights, brake lights, and turn indicators are in fixtures mounted in the rear bumper. I'm getting the Aussie spec lights to make the arrangement a little more conventional for USA driving. Probably safer, too, since other motorists in the USA are unlikely to be familiar with the Euro way of tail lights.

I suppose it's not the Australian tail lights that are anything special, they're perfectly normal--red brake and running lights on top, clear reversing lights in the middle, and amber turn indicators at the bottom of each. It's the European spec lights (which is what my France sourced Troopy has) that are unusual. The left side tail light has a blackout cover on the top, a "fog light" (apparently to alert trailing motorists to your presence in foggy conditions) in the middle, and clear reversing light at the bottom, while the right side tail light has a blackout cover over the top and middle, and a clear reversing light at the bottom. The running lights, brake lights, and turn indicators are in fixtures mounted in the rear bumper. I'm getting the Aussie spec lights to make the arrangement a little more conventional for USA driving. Probably safer, too, since other motorists in the USA are unlikely to be familiar with the Euro way of tail lights.
European tail lights are that way too after a certain year, due to European DOT laws. After seeing others replace theirs with older style ones if I remember correctly you will need to modify the tail light wiring harness, what all is involved I don't know, maybe try a search here or in the diesel section. I believe after a certain model year in Australia they have the same blacked out upper tail lights.

OK...this day had to come. I'm closing the offer (for now). I have a lot of guys interested in a lot of things, and I'm chasing it all down, but I need to leave myself time to get it all packed and shipped before I head to NZ. After NZ, I'll be returning to Australia (north of Brisbane) for a while, and may offer again. So, if you don't already have your requests in, I'm not taking any new ones. Thanks, everybody!

OK...this day had to come. I'm closing the offer (for now). I have a lot of guys interested in a lot of things, and I'm chasing it all down, but I need to leave myself time to get it all packed and shipped before I head to NZ. After NZ, I'll be returning to Australia (north of Brisbane) for a while, and may offer again. So, if you don't already have your requests in, I'm not taking any new ones. Thanks, everybody!

Have you got much to ship at this stage?...If so, how are you shipping it?

I'm closing the offer (for now).

Damn it! Just missed out. Was going to order this:
vdj79.jpg

PS-Nice thing you're doing @gilmorneau

RoscoFJ73--Not sure I'm understanding you. The inner reinforcing bracket is what I was trying to illustrate in my photo. It is located inside the structure of the door (i.e. in the cavity between the exterior body panel and the interior metal structural panel of the door), and appears for all the world to be an integral part of the door. I don't see it in the photo of the Troopy door you attached, but the angle might not be right. I'm still relatively new to all this, and am just trying to get an OEM tire carrier for my Troopy, so if you have info on a bolt-in alternative, I'm all ears. If you could supply photos of how it all goes together, or an exploded view diagram, that would be very helpful.

You seemed to be saying you thought the troopys had 2 different doors, one for the wheel carrying speced models and one for no wheel. I called that interior bracket a plate, well it is sort of as it has a flat surface. So what I am saying is the doors are all the same and you just need to add the interior plate/bracket and the external bit to carry the wheel. There is no extra spot welded reinforced pieces on the doors, the doors are all the same.

Curious: Aussie spec tailights differ how?

They are not really "aussie spec". When 7* series have a rear tyre mounted on the door, they are required to have brake lights and indicators mounted inside the bumper because the tyre obscures the lights. Some countries only required one set of brake/indicator lights and some countries like Australia require both sets to be in the bumper.
The tail lights in the body are blacked out in the top half but I think only the post 1990 models had this.

Something to be remembered is that there are 3 ( I think) types of taillight shapes and sizes. They do not all interchange.
We had some long winded posts on this subject before.

Just in case the shopping list opens up again - a/c compressor mounting bracket that bolts to the engine for an LJ70 2L-T motor.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well!
Cheers,

Aw, man... missed ya. So many thing i want from Oz! Some things not even for my LJ73!

Let me know if you reopen it! no worries though.

-Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom