Improving ride quality (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In reading all the posts I see the common theme that the FJ40 has subpar ride quality. I have two questions, 1 narrow, 1 broad.

1. Do the longer wheel base FJ43/BJ46 and the FJ45s have noticeably better ride quality?
2. How many of you have seen coil over system implemented and is that the way to imprve the ride quality?

Thanks

C. Murphy

-Yes

-It is one way change ride quality. But quality leaf springs and properly valved shock is way cheaper and helps retain FJ40 value.

Last edited:
In reading all the posts I see the common theme that the FJ40 has subpar ride quality.

Im not sure "subpar" is accurate.
Its not a LWB vehicle...considering this point, with the right suspension the FJ40 has a very nice ride.

for a jeep. :)

Subpar ride quality as compared to what ? It is true ride quality is different than a modern design, but, the FJ40 design has its roots in undeveloped roads etc... As is said on here, the correct springs/shocks and good body mounts it will be fine. I have seen coil over and to me it screwed up the basic design. My 2 cents.

Take a Valium.
Longer wheel base is usually soother.
As I have mentioned before, I pulled a 16 foot travel trailer across the U.S. with my FJ40 for about 18 years.
With the ezee lift hitch and spring bars it was similar to a much longer wheel base and the ride was pretty smooth.

My 65 FJ45LP-B has a far superior ride to my 68 FJ40. But so does my 79 FJ40. Previous owner of the 79 was a friend of my and know he bought it minus the top. Believe it was in 94 when he bought. Springs I'm sure have far fewer miles with less weight than my 68 with it's hard top. Ride has always been hard in my 68 but it's heavier than my 79 with more comfortable seats. Springs are also original. These were also built as utility vehicles really wasn't a whole lot of sport in them originally.

20170409_080635.png
I run coils and radius arms on mine with a 5" stretch out front and 3 to 4" out back with fj60 leaf packs outboarded and soa'd (gotta measure the actual wheel base one day). It rides pretty damn great with the coils and compared to the rear end the front is a lot smoother and less jarring over the bumps. Could probably use a sway bar but thats another story.

D

View attachment 1735591 I run coils and radius arms on mine with a 5" stretch out front and 3 to 4" out back with fj60 leaf packs outboarded and soa'd (gotta measure the actual wheel base one day). It rides pretty damn great with the coils and compared to the rear end the front is a lot smoother and less jarring over the bumps. Could probably use a sway bar but thats another story.

D

So, what you are doing is turning the FJ40 into a more modern design. Actually, it becomes less FJ40 with every mod. That said, it is fine as each person has his/her desire for what they want in a vehicle. I have seen FJ40s that all that was Toyota was some body parts. The FJ40/45 were built for toughness and not creature comforts. You can tell from later models, 1982/83, that comforts were coming. The FJ80 was real comfort compared to the FJ40. I am a purist but I do respect mods that people do.
Here is an image from MUD here of a hard working FJ45 , doing what it was built for.

Overloaded.jpg

So, what you are doing is turning the FJ40 into a more modern design. Actually, it becomes less FJ40 with every mod. That said, it is fine as each person has his/her desire for what they want in a vehicle. I have seen FJ40s that all that was Toyota was some body parts. The FJ40/45 were built for toughness and not creature comforts. You can tell from later models, 1982/83, that comforts were coming. The FJ80 was real comfort compared to the FJ40. I am a purist but I do respect mods that people do.
Here is an image from MUD here of a hard working FJ45 , doing what it was built for.

View attachment 1735616

I don't and will never haul massive logs with mine just like the majority of people in this site so.....

I however do wheel mine and modify it accordingly (my version of accordingly anyways).

D

Newish springs and new greased bushings along with new Bilstein 5100's made my stock '76 ride much better. The Bilstein's do hav

I love how my stock 69 rides; not nearly as smooth as my 14' 4Runner but I really feel like I am in a truck when I am in my 40-- spring seats, leafs and just some shocks, open air-part of the charm to be sure.

deaver multipack, progressive leaf springs with quality multi valve shocks and the ride will be like a modern vehicle. downside will be the reduction in payload capacity and the cost of the suspension. i think a lot of people produce a great ride just by playing around with the "stock" springs by mixing and matching individual leafs until they find the right combination for the ride they are looking for

Love the ride quality of my truck. 1/2” lift, stock shocks. It’s like a sports car guy that wants the best setup for track and street, compromise. The original fj40 is pretty darn good for its primal purpose. Better shocks/valving will make a difference but in my humble opinion it’s one hell of a cross over/dual purpose (as intended).

I traded the original seats for those out of a totaled 03 Corolla. Drove half way across Arizona and most of the way back across California a couple months ago. No comfort problems with the seating arrangement. When I off-road to places I get stuck, and scrape the review mirrors off, well....C.Murphy probably isn't going there.

Quality is the wrong term, perhaps. I think you are talking about comfort here. My 73 is is great for what I do - shortish offroad runs. Comfortable? Not really. If I want comfort, I'll take my truck. Having said that, I don't like trucks that ride like a couch, either, but that's just me. I leave my couch at home!

It's difficult to have a rig perfect, or suitable even, for all uses. Thank goodness for mods and 2nd vehicles.

My bj44 rides much smoother than my bl41 and bj42 they all have stock original suspension original shocks and same kilometers the extra length in the bj43 has less hop than the shorter wheel based 40 models.

I don't and will never haul massive logs with mine just like the majority of people in this site so.....

I however do wheel mine and modify it accordingly (my version of accordingly anyways).

D

I do not think anyone in the USA used the FJ series as third world countries did. I know they used them for work in some cases but believe me, other countries worked them hard. These people "make do" in many cases.

North America pretty much has the wealth to restomod just about anything. All restorations and restomods are exactly what owners want. I just have been to many poorer places where restomods were not even in the thinking. Sometimes replacement parts were not affordable so a work around would happen. This is where the FJ series shined. ( For what it is worth, in Toyota history the FJ series was designed for a 25 year life) I believe them. Mine is stock and next year will be 50 years old. Still running like a champ.

I do not think anyone in the USA used the FJ series as third world countries did. I know they used them for work in some cases but believe me, other countries worked them hard. These people "make do" in many cases.

North America pretty much has the wealth to restomod just about anything. All restorations and restomods are exactly what owners want. I just have been to many poorer places where restomods were not even in the thinking. Sometimes replacement parts were not affordable so a work around would happen. This is where the FJ series shined. ( For what it is worth, in Toyota history the FJ series was designed for a 25 year life) I believe them. Mine is stock and next year will be 50 years old. Still running like a champ.

Good commentary and my rig’s big 50 is coming up as well— there will be no cake or candles but hopefully it will bring home a nice buck or some quail this year; it’s reward will be a nice oil change and admiration from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom