Improve Fuel efficiency-power (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Something I think just about all of us overlooked: As we mod our trucks, this usually involves meaty tires... Those BFG Mudders do not return the same mileage as our cushy Michelin LTX tires... (is it just me or does every street 80 have the LTXs on them? - My (new) 80 with 180K came with them...) It is probably realistic to expect that a set of mudders will rob 1-2 mpg by virtue of rolling resistance.

I agree with everything you said except this. It will do nothing to improve fuel economy, but it will cost more.

I believe this to be true.
My Fj is my primary driver.
On my FJ, I get better fuel economy with 93 Octane.
I am consistently getting +2 MPG over 87 O.
I drive 35K per year on that vehicle; I believe the the extra $.25 per gallon is offset by the +2 mpg.
The math =
35000/19mpg=1843
35000/17mpg=2058
1843x$3.35=$6174
2058x$3.05=6277
Not a ton but better, it all adds up.
Try it and let me know.........gm

Some states do not require or mandate Ethanol in all grades of gasoline. You may be dealing with E-10 in the 87 octane grade and straight 100% in the premium grade. In this case, the premium would definitely give you more MPG. Ask your local station if the premium and/or 87 has ethanol in it.

1st off thank you Jonheld you got to it and answered it before I could

:bang: why not hightest with 107 boost?...or methanol?...or "race blue"? :bang:

:rolleyes:

The land Cruiser will run on **** gas. I saw what my head and pistons looked like at 120K miles running the cheap Texas gas from the PO. There was so much carbon build up on it that hurt the mileage.

Gas quality can make a difference over the long haul, this is not the same as gas octane. I do run Premium for the super charger and I also run mid grade in all the other vehicles due to the additional cleaning chemicals that keep the injectors clean and limit carbon build up.

Carbon? last time I checked water was cheaper than running mid grade, I'd look into that

Something I think just about all of us overlooked: As we mod our trucks, this usually involves meaty tires... Those BFG Mudders do not return the same mileage as our cushy Michelin LTX tires... (is it just me or does every street 80 have the LTXs on them? - My (new) 80 with 180K came with them...) It is probably realistic to expect that a set of mudders will rob 1-2 mpg by virtue of rolling resistance.

VERY true! Words to live by

In another life I replaced 235 (28") street treads on my Hilux w/ 30" BFG AT's, and instantly lost 100 miles TO THE TANK!!! :frown: :eek:

Light tire w/ alum wheels for on road

Whaterver your hearts and steelies are best for off

Last edited:
Like Jon, I stopped figuring MPG a while ago. I kept track for a few weeks, and I gained 2MPG....which made a whopping 10 MPG average.

And no silly K&N, either.

I could be getting better, as my truck is near-stock. But it's those dang lights on top that rob my gas from me. :meh: I like them too much.

I don't do gas calculations.

I just bend over whenever I pull into the station.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom