Import to Alberta questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HW1

Threads
Hey, I posted this in the import forum, but you guys in this clubhouse might be able to help me more.

I'm from Calgary, and working in California until October. I would like to drive up a FJ60 when I leave. I have a couple questions regarding importing:

From what I understand, because the vehicle is over 15 years old it doesn't need to comply with RIV regulations at the border. But are there other Federal safety regulations or OOP inspections (Alberta) that I need to be aware of? My main two concerns are (1) importing a vehicle with a lift. A lot of great cruisers have a 3" lift, and if I bring one into Canada I want to make sure this is okay. From what I understand, this is a no go. And (2) that the lack of DRL is okay, although I'm not too concerned about this because it was manufactured before 1989 when the law required it. So it doesn't need to comply, correct?

These might be dumb questions, but any help you can give me would be huge! Thanks.

My cruiser passed with a 6" lift. It should not be a problem. As long as everything that came with the truck works and it is safe to be on the road you should not have to worry.

Mike at proactive automotive here in Calgary did my OOP inspection.

Wrong! You just got lucky.

Lift is a no-go. Must be stock or at least look stock to an uniformed border guard. A member of our club here in town was refused entry with an '81 mini truck that was lifted. He had to leave the truck and come back a week later, take it to a US mechanic and have some cheap ass low springs thrown in and bring it back across again. It was sitting on the bump stops on the second attempt.

In Alberta it must pass the OOP which you can find the criteria for online. Grandfather clause does cover clutch interlock but not sure about DRL - probly OK though.

Best thing for the OOP is not to take it to a big corporate garage like a Canadian Tire because they will always cover their asses and err on the side of caution - IOW: fail you when in doubt. Instead, take it to a mechanic who runs his own shop and will work with you through any hiccups. I can recommend Auto Check who did my BJ42 out of BC - (403) 295-2901 - was about $180.00 IRC

Mike at Proactive would not be my first choice though I have never personally used Proactive. But have heard slightly bad reviews mostly related to price. Proactive was difficult to work with for that same mini truck guy when it came to the clutch interlock. An '81 mini truck did not come from the factory with it but the regs were slightly ambiguous in verbage. Mike was going to force him to install some sort of interlock until my friend took the initiative and called the gubberment for clarification. The rule states if it came from factory with one then it must work. The rule does not actually state that if it did NOT come with it you don't have to have it which is in fact the case.

Going back to crossing the boarder with a lifted truck:

When Northbound they will ask if you had any work done while in the US. This is a LOADED QUESTION ! If you are naïve and say "yeah, I had a lift put in" you are screwwwwd.

Just found this on riv.ca:
Why is an modified / altered vehicle not admissible?
When a vehicle has been modified, other than general repair or routine maintenance, the vehicle no longer maintains its original factory issued certification. This certification is a requirement to qualify for importation into Canada.
NOTE: This also applies to Canadian owned vehicles that are modified in the United States and returning to Canada because the vehicle no longer maintains its original Canadian certification.
For example:
a motorcycle converted into trike,
a cargo van converted into a camper,
adding a suspension lift kit to a vehicle,
adapting a vehicle for disabled access or
re-fitting a vehicle with different body kit
Importers considering the importation of a modified vehicle or Canadians planning to have modifications made to their vehicle outside of Canada must inform themselves about the need for compliance to Canadian standards which must be established by the final stage manufacturer (or modifier). Failure to establish compliance to Canadian standards will result in the vehicle being denied access into Canada.

Bottom line - it's easy to bring back your favorite vehicle but you need to read EVERYTHING the process requires. Do your research.

Good Luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom