Import tax on Partsouq order (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whoa, $214 for ship and import tax...something doesnt seem right

I'd definitely question DHL to make sure they understand you are (and the entry was filed as) an individual rather than a business (assuming you are not a business). And ask about the $800 limit mentioned above. Only had one order from Partsouq in the $600 range, shipped by FedEx and no import duty was due.

They're handling thousands of shipments per day - they may not take the time to research it. In that case, I'd pick FedEx next time.

I've ordered from them several times as well. Never had an additional charge after the initial purchase. However, about 2 mos ago, they stopped accepting any payment method I've tried. Bottom line is they aren't selling to me anymore. So...I'll just have to find myself another giant.

I did "discover" a way (pretty sure it's size-related, in my case anyway) to keep the shipping down...but it was right then, on that order, they wouldn't accept my payment. And haven't since.
🤔

My understanding is the fees are also linked to how the parts are classified on the customs forms. Some items can be imported duty free and others are taxed. Depending on what the shipper writes on the forms will determine if they get hit. When I was in the military and shipped a lot of stuff from overseas I used to have the list of what to call stuff to avoid the fees.

I've never had import duty from partsouq, but haven't come close to $800. The threshold used to be $200, but in 2016 it changed to $800.

Weird. I just got a package from PartSouq that has $75 in merch, $20 S&H, and then $46 in CBP tax & fees. It was purchased with my personal PP and UPS-ed to my personal address.:meh:

Wow. Unlucky maybe? I've placed probably 10 orders on partsouq/amayama and never had an order that small have any customs duties levied. Only on my one order that was over 1k

I had a ~2k$ clutch sent over from japan directly vs buying from the usa side suppliers and did not get a duty bill... lucky for me , did however have cbp freaking out about the fact that there was a bearing of some sort in it, (clutch throw out bearing) and made me do a crap load of extra paperwork making sure the stuff i wasn't importing was not violating "U.S. anti dumping laws" It basically keeps companies from flooding the US with certain cheap parts/industrial components made abroad by cheap slave labor and killing the market for the US made versions of the said components. Bottom line its all in the package labeling imo. I've also had electronics shipped over with no duty being collected, guess its just rolling the dice sometimes.

just ordered a bunch of stuff two days ago, under $100 bucks...now I'm waiting on pins and needles to see if I didn't win the lottery :)

I have about 10 orders and 3 have been pinged for customs. I ship Fedex and they front the CBP cost and just bill me directly. With thousands of dollars spent I have laid less then $100 in custom fees. Still saving a huge amount overall. It does seem like the shipping costs have gone up this year but I imagine that is due to Covid. Happy to pay that as all of the shipments are packed very well and an order from Dubai to WA is at my front door in only a matter of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom