Import tax on Partsouq order (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered suspension bushings for my 80 from partsouq. The shipment made it to Cincinnati. The shipper (DHL) contacted me saying I owed an import duty of $53. Have others run into this when ordering from overseas?

What was the dollar amount of the parts in that shipment?

Bushings were $450. Shipping was $161. Total was $610. The shipment arrived in Cincinnati and I received a request from DHL to pay an import tax of $53. If they do not receive the payment in 5 days they say they will send the shipment back to Partsouq. Just wanted to see if this was normal.

Apparently sometimes they get you for customs duty, sometimes they don't.

Why was the shipping cost so high?

Bushings were $450. Shipping was $161. Total was $610. The shipment arrived in Cincinnati and I received a request from DHL to pay an import tax of $53. If they do not receive the payment in 5 days they say they will send the shipment back to Partsouq. Just wanted to see if this was normal.
After rebuilding my motor and $2k in parts over several shipments, I NEVER had that happen. Buyer beware

It is hit or miss on if you get charged import duty. I've placed ~10 orders from partsouq/amayama and I think 1 or 2 where i had the carrier request/bill for payment for import duty. one bill was about 60 bucks for about 1000 in parts so its at least ballparkish for what you got hit with.

Seems valid to me, I'd pay the import as its still cheaper than most places....and doubt you will get shipping refunded if it gets sent back to partsouq.

I don't know why shipping was $161. Order was between 20 and 30 lb. I was surprised that there would be an add on tax after the fact. I figured that any tax would be calculated on the selling end. Yes, caveat emptor.

Compared to what else was available the prices are still reasonable. Thanks for the replies!

I've had several Partsouq orders just this year and never had unreasonable shipping or had to pay import duty. Something doesn't seem right with this transaction. I purchased radius arm bushings for a MUD vendor for much less than that.

I read awhile ago on here that if you stick to under $500 order total you're generally fine. I've had several ~$300 Partsouq orders via FEDEX to Ohio with no additional duty. I don't think you've implied this, but Partsouq has no reason to collect duty, that's on the customer.

I don't know why shipping was $161. Order was between 20 and 30 lb.
Because they're buying that 30 lb package a first class air ticket. I'm always shocked to see parts from Dubai 2 days later. I can't even get stuff from the Denver NAPA warehouse that quick unless I show up in person.

I've never been charged the import duty before, but I'll keep an eye out for it in the future. I usually just do partsouq for trivial oddball items that are harder to find in the dealer network or through our MUD vendors.

"Because they're buying that 30 lb package a first class air ticket."

That definitely would explain shipping cost. Again, thanks for the replies. IH8MUD rules!

Recently ordered a couple small parts from Amayama which came out
of Japan. Shipping was about a third of the total cost as they said
there were only two shipping methods due to Covid; Japan's equivalent of
snail mail that could take up to 3 months, or FedEx's Rush service. They said
FedEx Economy was not available (due to Covid). The parts arrived in two days
and I didn't get charged duty, the total before shipping was around $300.

There is a limit for duty/tax free import of goods and I don’t know what the USA number is. In Canada it’s currently $40 for tax and $150 for duties for consumer import of goods. Having twenty years of experience getting shipments it’s hit and miss with getting charged. Generally higher dollar value always gets charged though. Currently shipping is amazing due to availability of air freight as no one is flying in planes.

Almost all of my Partsouq orders into Saudi Arabia get hit with import duty. The few shipments I've made to the US from Partsouq haven't yet but I have bought other items from other sources that have. It has nothing to do with Partsouq. I think DHL is more particular than Fedex when it comes to import duties.

I have order many times from partsouq, including one complete set of bushings with all hardware and I have never encountered an extra duty charge.

Haven't had a customs duty charged on anything from partsouq.com yet, including several orders over $500. Same with lots of Chinese stuff. Technically, above a certain amount you're supposed to get dingged for it. It has nothing to do with the carrier. The carrier presents the manifest to Customs. It's up to Customs to charge you then DHL collects if you do get charged. If I ever have to pay, I'll just move on. I'm still money ahead on everything else.

According to CBP, the threshold for the duty is $800. Wonder if there was a misprint on the value of the goods on the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom