I’ll post up before the WKEND, maybe more campers will get it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
REALLY I am just looking to take a peek inside (images) the rear cabs of 80’s premised on extended traveling with more than one person. Read at your peril otherwise.

I just want to assure any who might read this;

I have spent hundreds of hours in the threads: reading: scanning images: and otherwise trying to learn something from those that came before.

I have also spent hundreds of hours on youtube looking at builds and listening to experts in the field of service, ‘overlanding’ and whatever...

I am trying to get a sense and therefor a working budget together for a life out on the road for a year.

The largest part of the budget;

(1) hard parts: lockers/diff/axles related work--I am undecided about T-case spools, hubs: then
(2) suspension and all bushings therein related, and then the
(3) RTT/Custom Load Bar/Rack.

Those three items are effectively over one half of my estimated expense so far.

In those three areas I am not looking to cut any corners where any of that work is concerned. And so I think paying full retail is a fair exchange.

Of course there is other high ticket items like armor and what not that in of themselves might not be expensive per se but add up nevertheless.

My concern is build quality, practicality of products, efficiency of use and I tell you what, youtube is filled with a ton of rear cab builds on legitimate expo builds that are brilliant but the problem is with those particular builds is that they are not typically built in an 80 Series. And the problem in the images posted on MUD is that in most specific builds the poster very rarely makes more than a passing comment about all the chit built up in the rear of their respective rig.

About all I know about space management in the rear cab of the 80 is one; there is not a lot of space per se and second combined weight should not be overlooked.

Where my own build is concerned all I know is that I want a fridge/freezer combo, some configuration of drawers and on-board water tank storage and all of it will sit above an extended fuel tank mounted between the rear rails (I might be one of those that runs an ARB rear bumper?). I’ll make my decision on the rear bumper once the extended tank is installed.

Other than that I have no sense of organization. If I just trust myself to buy an appealing off the rack shelving/rack/drawer unit I feel like it would a huge mistake potentially

I guess images/descriptions of other’s rear cargo builds in their respective 80 is what I am after.

If there are creative solutions to real world shortcomings about rear cab storage and organization I want to know what others are saying about what they have learned...

Last edited:
The hard part about answering your question is that there isn't ever a perfect solution that fits each person or even that person's variation in trips. I have struggled finding the right solution but have 2 kids to take with me along with the wife so space gets tight quickly. It might be best to separate out the questions to each individual component (onboard water storage, onboard air, rear storage solutions, roof rack, fridge/freezer) to get an idea of what would fit your needs.

For me, I liked the idea of a RTT, but with the outdoor activities that I enjoy I often have wet and dirty gear that I would rather not store in the truck when driving. It makes more sense for me to have it on the roof. If it was just the wife and I we could sleep in the land cruiser with the bed ontop of a drawer system but this would not allow enough space for a fridge/freezer. I would use a cool box instead that I could set outside of the truck when sleeping. It would hold ice long enough (5-7 days) between trips to town for more food at which time I would also buy ice).

Speed of set up and takedown of camp is important to me as would be organization of everything to make access convenient for items when on the road. Lay out everything that you would take on the trip, organize it by how (and how often) you would use it and look at systems based on what your needs would be. Do you want or need a long set of drawers or would a pack system like what is offered by front runner make more sense?

Maybe people will chime in that have more experience that I do. I haven't had major trips living out of the landcruiser but camp regularly for 4-7 days at a time and have had a trip or two lasting several weeks. Each trip I am still trying to figure out what I could do that would make things better/easier. Having 2 kids in the midst of it and the changing needs that they have as they grow sure throws a wrench in it. I think I am close and then needs change. Hopefully someone with useful advise will chime in. :)

you are right, there is not a ton of room in the back of an 80 series or any US spec cruiser. how many people are we talking about when you say more than one? two adults? I have experience with both off the shelf and homemade storage and armor between my 80 and my 100 and both have pros and cons. also you may not need lockers or diff work, what kind of "life on the road" are you planning? the first cruiser to drive around the world was an open diff 40 series with a trailer and two dudes on an adventure.

I went simple. I have a custom shelf that came with mine Moody on here had it made somewhere. It bolts to the third row brackets, has a spot for two water jugs, and tie downs for containers and a fridge. I usually just use a Yeti instead of a fridge though. I've always thought about drawers but I use my third row seats a few times a year. In the pic, we were on a longer trip with our dogs so I pulled the second row out too but I don't normally do that. Plus, I try to be more organized but the pic was taken on day 3 or 4 of an Idaho backroads trip and it was taco and mescal night.

P7070250.jpg

What kind of traveling are you going to be doing? Do you have a destination in mind - such as Mexico City, for example or are you just going where the wind blows you? How long will your average camp be - 1 night, a week or longer? These questions play into the routine of setup and pack up. Believe me, after a few weeks or even less, you'll understand where I'm going with this. I've been on a couple of group runs down to Baja, plus some shorter local runs and I've come to the conclusion that for this kind of traveling - I need a trailer, for several reasons. I've been traveling alone, but one more person doesn't add that much to your load - usually just clothes, a few personal items and additional food/water. The 80 will carry the gear, with my middle seats removed. But, it's "packed to the gills". And setting up camp and packing up quickly just gets to be a chore. The 1 night camps are the worst, because you start to make excuses to take short cuts and not fully unpack because it's not worth it. I've got a RTT, 270* awning with a wall kit, Outback drawers, NL fridge/freezer, a free standing shower/bathroom enclosure, water bricks for water, camp kitchen, Coleman white gas stove and plan to get a Tembo Tusk skottle for gourmet cooking...:rolleyes: ...lol. Anyway, my point is, in a perfect world, you stop early enough to set up camp without having to rush around. But in reality, you're either trying to make a certain destination or get as far as you can by the end of the day. And then get as early of a start as possible. With a trailer, you'd have more room and flexibility to have some of your camp easier and quicker to set up and pack up. Plus with a RTT, once you set up camp, you're commited to not moving that vehicle until you pack it up, so sightseeing spots that are beyond reasonable walking distance are out of reach. Just some things to consider as you build your overlanding rig.

Last edited:
80t0ylc

Logistics are just preliminary right now.

Ultimately most of the anticipated 20K+ mileage will be spent on highways (thus, 285/75/16) that’s what I am certain of.

We will visit most major cities in the New England states, perhaps spending the entire fall season in the region and also we anticipate probably without question the most costly part of the trip as we anticipate many nights spent in hotels and what not while in that region.

We also will visit many metro areas in the southern states as well but the southern metro areas are not nearly hemmed in so ‘camping’ in traditional locales is anticipated in that region.

Regardless, staying in large metro areas is expensive as &*%$ so really we’re talking about essentially a matter of weeks out of the entire year.

The build needs to pass inspection for hopefully three or even four multi-day/night excursions otherwise sanctioned by some governing body like TLCA.

Neither the wife or I are of the skill set where taking on well known, famous or infamous trails (Rubicon) on our own is something we feel entirely comfortable with, (thus building a network on Mud) but the rig will be built to access more remote campsites without running water or electricity. On that front, of spots where to camp; youtube, mud members and other related forums there is no shortage of knowledge and experience...

Last edited:
This is a how long is a piece of string question, and a lot depends on how you want to use that string.

If you are primarily touring, you can simply throw some tubs in the back of a stock standard 80, add some good sized all-terrains, add a winch and go almost anywhere in comfort and surprising ease.
Use a winch to skull drag the 80 out of the s*** when you go looking for it.

If you're intention is to do a tour of known wheeling destinations, then suspension, lockers, and armour come into the picture.

An 80 is capable of a lot more than people give credit for, and it can be done with a lot less dollars than most throw at them

Agreed. Baseline the sucker, build it for comfort.

Forget about diff lockers/part time crap/tcase gears etc.

Make it reliable and then add the comforts.

EDIT: If you get around the Woodstock, NY area, drop a line and we can discuss Heidegger and his views on
technology.

... Or drink beer.

Last edited:
. Plus with a RTT, once you set up camp, you're commited to not moving that vehicle until you pack it up, so sightseeing spots that are beyond reasonable walking distance are out of reach. Just some things to consider as you build your overlanding rig.

This is one of the big draw backs I see with a RTT - not sure if you can leave your sleeping gear unpacked up there and just pop the top when it is time to sleep or not, but being able to use the vehicle once at camp and not have it tied down is important to me. Also with regards to campng in metropolitan areas, a RTT is a dead giveaway that you are sleeping/camping whereas sleeping in the back of your truck may look like you are just parked somewhere. Not sure I would do that in a city but it gives you the option.

Onur Heidegger did do some work on Nietzsche which I have not read one word; the most I know of Heidegger is by way of his student Arendt...I sobered up nearly two decades ago in a 12 step program... but upstate NY is gorgeous, the wife must see it, definitely needs to reach Montauk.

All I want to see on the island is a few buildings specifically, a couple of libraries, a couple of campuses(libraries) and one pretty significant museum, and it would be rad to get off the island and drive out to stop by, deliver a growler from one of the Northwest’s favored brewers, and shake your hand. I got some odd parts that I think you might be able to get sometime over the next couple of years. The wife may get a different brand after the trip but I am thinking I will stick with something in the Land Cruiser tradition until I die.

But I live in the Pac West, the truck is getting lockers. IMO the region is unrivaled for its sheer beauty and open trails... obviously the guys in the south have a strong case and so do a few our friends in the mid western states but on the whole this truck will be built to participate locally and far off.

Both the wife and I, we have found, just aren’t real comfortable with walls. We are more the outdoor-type.

Last edited:
80t0ylc

Logistics are just preliminary right now.

Ultimately most of the anticipated 20K+ mileage will be spent on highways (thus, 285/75/16) that’s what I am certain of.

We will visit most major cities in the New England states, perhaps spending the entire fall season in the region and also we anticipate probably without question the most costly part of the trip as we anticipate many nights spent in hotels and what not while in that region.

We also will visit many metro areas in the southern states as well but the southern metro areas are not nearly hemmed in so ‘camping’ in traditional locales is anticipated in that region.

Regardless, staying in large metro areas is expensive as &*%$ so really we’re talking about essentially a matter of weeks out of the entire year.

The build needs to pass inspection for hopefully three or even four multi-day/night excursions otherwise sanctioned by some governing body like TLCA.

Neither the wife or I are of the skill set where taking on well known, famous or infamous trails (Rubicon) on our own is something we feel entirely comfortable with, (thus building a network on Mud) but the rig will be built to access more remote campsites without running water or electricity. On that front, of spots where to camp; youtube, mud members and other related forums there is no shortage of knowledge and experience...
when you make it to new england specifically ma. hit me up Ill show you some great class 6 roads that will make you glad you have an 80 series. and I "overland" my 80 a lot and have set up the rear numerous times but use a hardtop RTT for sleeping. so Im not much help there. But one thing a hardtop RTT can be set up and broke down in minutes combine that with a good awning and you can setup and breakdown an amazing mobile camp in under 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I can have my RTT (Maggiolina Grand Tour) up and ready for sleep in, literally, less than 5 minutes. You can leave all your sleeping gear up there. Take down is about 10 minutes. Not sure on the Tepui and other style RTT's, but a hard shell sounds perfect for moving from campsite to campsite on a daily basis, like what they are planning.

I can have my RTT (Maggiolina Grand Tour) up and ready for sleep in, literally, less than 5 minutes. You can leave all your sleeping gear up there. Take down is about 10 minutes. Not sure on the Tepui and other style RTT's, but a hard shell sounds perfect for moving from campsite to campsite on a daily basis, like what they are planning.
I totally agree I had a tepeui for a day then got the hardshell only prob is you cant have an awning on my particular hardshell but they make them and the beauty art of an enclosed awning off a hardshell is it can be heated in winter months something i neglected to take into account when I bought mine. so dont be dumb like me think then buy.

If I was putting myself in your shoes on your intended trip, I’d want to be able to sleep in the vehicle in the metro areas as well as on top in a RTT when out camping. Problem recognition drives my build of my 80 and why I do/build what I do on the 80. Jeff of Overland the World has a great setup

Shore dreamer Thank you for the lead.

Oddly enough, Dan Rich’s build on Overland Bound youtube channel is my point of departure.

As far as youtube, what these guys are doing in Australia and So. Africa is incredible but LCPhil is a super solid influence for me here.

I am gonna watch the clip.

I got a couple of years on the RTT but right now if I was at the end of the build I would go nuts to get in one of these Bundatec’s... but the tent market seems to be one of the more innovative segments in the market place right now so waiting a year or two I would not be surprised if the tent market becomes more competitive and consumers wind-up with a wider choice of some really premium-type RTTs.

Maybe we’ll go to one of the expos next year?

20180410_185728.jpg

Sleeping platform/drawers
Many of my early days camping was in the desert. If you wanted to sleep, you did it in a rig. High wind pick up gravel and thrash it against the tent.
We now have a thinner mattress set up.

I've seen a few of your posts - you need to get yourself unfrazzled. Seriously.

My comments from the cheap seats are as follows:
1. Calm down. Yes, time stops for no man. But you can make it so that it's your time.
2. Lock the rear differential of your truck. As funds permit; auto locker is fine. And that'll get through most trails.
3. Get a mild lift and a decent set of tires, a reasonable set of tools, perhaps a few spare parts (belts & hoses?), and a communications setup that is appropriate for where you go. An 80-series truck in decent shape will most likely do all the rest, as long as the driver doesn't get in the way.
4. Can't help with the other 9 steps of this 12-step program - good luck.

I've only camped with a ground tent in my 80. But, in my Tacoma, I made a "bed roll" consisting of 4" memory foam mattress, under sheets, top sheet and a down comforter. I would roll it up to the front and had 3 totes in the back. At camp, I would move the totes out of the vehicle and onto the ground. (you could put them on the roof instead) It worked pretty well but wouldn't be the ideal Walmart parking lot setup.

That being said, there are plenty of places to camp in New England. To echo @RFB , let me know when you're up here. I can help out with local guides and camp spots. This summer, I complete the Trans New Hampshire Expedition. It was 4 days of covered bridges, waterfalls and woods almost all on dirt, camping along the route. If you look through my build thread, there are some pictures. (look for my postings in late June) You can probably save money camping up here too.

There will be a number of "Exploring New Hampshire" runs going on during fall up here too. Here are a few pictures from last year (just to get your interest. If you'd prefer focusing only on rear setups, let me know and I'll delete the pics)

b3oWGbrh.jpg

RBy3eGmh.jpg

KwAdNqqh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom