Idler pulley (1 Viewer)

:cheers:I have a questions in regards to the idler pulleys in a 92. I have replace the bearing in the upper, just below the power steering unit, and ordered a new one from Cdan for the one that is located below the A/C unit, and have received it. But when Dan and I talked and deceiced that the one I ordered is the a/c idler pulley, it comes complete with the bracket. When I received it, I realized that it is the same as the upper, with the replacable bearing, so my question is:

Since this unit is a special order and can not return, can I USE the pulley in place of the old one?

I have matched them together and other than the groove being slightly deeper and wider, and it actually bolts right in. I should say it is in and running just fine, is there any reason I shouldn't use it?

Why is Toyota calling this one a A/C idler pulley, when it is located under the power steering unit?

Well I hope this makes sense, and some help in answering is greatly appreciated.

John
WoodyFJ80

Are you still using this pulley?

I guess they call it the A/C idler pulley because it's for the A/C belt :hmm:

I just tightened my belts about an hour ago and noticed the idler pulley for the dual alternator belts wasn't turning :doh:

Pulled it and sure as $h!t the bearing had seized :bang:

I figure it's been like that for a while now, so I just put it back in and slackened the belts again to reduce friction until I can get a new one tomorrow :meh:

I am still using this pulley it seems to work just fine. the squealing has gone, but I do have a 92 so it is differant than your 97. Tha belt for the A/C is ran through a differant pulley, in other words, one pulley for the power steering and one for the A/C. They are both on the passenger side of the 3FE. CDan is the man for parts. Good luck, I know you can replace the bearing in one of the pulleys, but I am confused on which to call it. For mine it was the upper pulley.
WoodyFJ80

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom