Icon (on the level) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One thing I was going to mention is that the Icon springs set the rig perfectly level (no armor as seen here). No stinkbug. Also, the lift is a solid 3". The front springs are equal length, as are the rears. The (very complete) kit comes with 10mm urethane shims to level side-to-side. I put one up on the front left and I'm good. Just want to get some more information out about this kit. Mine is the Stage 1 and I'm really liking it.

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

Is this your 80? (Pics seem like a Cruiser shop, or you have a fleet of 80's!)

If so, mind giving some more pics say of the springs under load - like a wheelwell shot or 2?

Maybe your shocks too, and impressions of it if you have time in the common lifts like OME - would be great for future potential buyers!

Icon doesn't get enough exposure here so anything would be great!

I too have the kit and like it - unloaded. Kitted out for a full trip (food, water, tools, parts, dogs) they sag a bit. Might not be as bad if I did not have a 4x4labs rear bumper with dual swingouts and a fairly heavy sleeping platform.

I like the valving on the shocks but I'm no expert. It handles the slow speed stuff well, while still being compliant on the square edge/high speed stuff.

I switched from an older OME system, so it's probably not a great comparison as the shocks were pretty much at end of life.

It's a solid competitor against the slinky systems, but they use the travel differently (also less buy in price). In theory these have less droop but more up travel. They re-use factory bump stops and slightly shorter shocks whereas the slinkies drop the bump stops down, but use longer shocks (and springs? that one I haven't confirmed).

Here's a shot of the front springs next to OME

-P9m_HhX7xIkPfNQzFvE_jMRa8xLcokkBHddzeAvzCoUiPlPKatXpd6p5YfrkCE2o6kAoGYYGvUhwN7L7wjhjRwP-IWTIq8FC9KFTUPshuT4yGU3I1kd1BfK6za32qZo512nqvWfwlCnNP1UvATYIH_b3ICvmhNSSOFlgbwslKjt51wVBaFFuHvZWcVIVc7Z3uUhL2X4DpvQFmhUdX3NAgNOJXVkgUBZfPkufs_RaxLtEQ0kadybJaaY4TEJR0Dekb6JzCbNVK9yUrKQrdPGc-WbSiVp48pfRTYnKZR3QpHX7-EJF2Od50OSBHFcV9kPlEjZx2yN2AMBPrg0iBd-txImvqwAlsVSDYXRzgvF_yzQmcSVeJQ2uZ7eOWSWNoS-uW0JkvqzjbV2SZJTViYw81TlFjQyW0Zck9eaDeDgpPeYcBqdAiKdvSWAk6M10Y6dStBSQ6CBn0nyNUoMmocGLP8H-cTaxTCsHsf9IQBBdDVr1a3MPIk1Dy8pYSblQujrytN_VUR6UVqOvvIveLAryCSabObbIOceUaIIRHwGnyJDOGl-TVrhwPb6kURxfn0fbyYrOtaBK11eSJITSKxLV7PGtbk41trAOlK42egXbVh0md4gjbZr=w1512-h850-no

I had her offroad last weekend and I really liked the articulation and ride, but I was relatively lightly loaded (and moving slowly) so I don't know about being heavily loaded yet. I'm looking forward to trying her out on gnarly washboard. My other 80 has the OME Stock height, which is a mild lift and heavy rate. That does well heavily loaded but I'd take this other spring rate when not loaded that's for sure. The other rig has fairly fresh Tokiko OEM shocks, and initial impressions are that the Icon shocks are a huge jump in performance and valving.
P.S. The shop is Michael Hein's West Coast Cruisers. Ramona, CA

I have the Stage 3 kit from Icon. LOVE the way this truck handles. Feels a tight on the road and really soaks up the terrain off-road. As mentioned above, the kit was very complete and straightforward to install. I also installed the spring shim in the front right corner and it sits perfectly level. I'm running no additional armor, yet. Could not be happier with my choice.

30477914054_b585786e91_b.jpg

30477914544_2df21c5bc4_b.jpg

30931713360_06d9dd1332_b.jpg

img_8209-jpg.1373441

Oh, I've got a brake line extension kit coming from Akela. Up on the lift the full droop puts a lot of tension on the stock length lines. So, I do suggest a brake line extension kit. Icon sells one, as do others like Slee.

Sweet!

I was running 35s, just got 37s. Trying to get over to a buddy's shop to use a forklift to see what kind of rub I'll get.

I was running 35s, just got 37s. Trying to get over to a buddy's shop to use a forklift to see what kind of rub I'll get.
You will need a conservative 2.5" bumpstops at all 4 corners for 37s without cutting.

One thing I was going to mention is that the Icon springs set the rig perfectly level (no armor as seen here). No stinkbug. Also, the lift is a solid 3". The front springs are equal length, as are the rears. The (very complete) kit comes with 10mm urethane shims to level side-to-side. I put one up on the front left and I'm good. Just want to get some more information out about this kit. Mine is the Stage 1 and I'm really liking it.

View attachment 1385519

View attachment 1385527
When you have time will you give us a center of hub to bottom of flare measurements?
If it is really a 3" lift you will be at approx. 23" on all corners.

Last edited:
How big are the bump stops with the 75mm slinky set up? Aren't you running 37s with that set up with 1" body lift?

I have the swing outs off the bumper and drawers out of the sleeping platform, I'll pull some measurements tomorrow.

Im sold on the ICON stage 3 system.
I'd love those reservoir shocks too, but I want to remind people that the shocks are the sole difference between the three Icon kits.

Last edited:
Q: "When you have time will you give us a center of hub to bottom of flare measurements?
If it is really a 3" lift you will be at approx. 23" on all corners."

A: 23 5/8" front and rear (+/- 1/8" side to side) !
Vehicle is unloaded and without armor.

How big are the bump stops with the 75mm slinky set up? Aren't you running 37s with that set up with 1" body lift?
Yes I am running the Slinky set up, but running 37s has nothing to do about suspension. It about the bumpstops, I mentioned that one has to conservatively run 2.5" bumps or an equivalent. I had 1.5" pucks up front with a 1" body lift & that worked. After cutting 2" out of the front fenders I then removed the pucks then added .5" back in. Then reinstalled the flares & gutted them out.

Sorry for thread hack... if you have any more Qs just PM me.

Yes I am running the Slinky set up, but running 37s has nothing to do about suspension. It about the bumpstops, I mentioned that one has to conservatively run 2.5" bumps or an equivalent. I had 1.5" pucks up front with a 1" body lift & that worked. After cutting 2" out of the front fenders I then removed the pucks then added .5" back in. Then reinstalled the flares & gutted them out.

No hack. Good information being put into one thread. Thanks Nuggy.

Yep, I'm aware of how this works. I plan on trimming the flares. However the slinky coils and shocks are supposed to come with/use a bump stop spacer according to both Icon and Redline, which is one of the bigger differences between the 2 set ups. I was wondering how big of a spacer that is.

Also, my front measures right about 23.5" and rear right at 23".

Edit: trail gear front bumper, 10k winch, sliders, skid, bare 4x4labs rear bumper, sleeper platform w/ drawers removed. 37" spare in cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom