Icon (on the level) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep, I'm aware of how this works. I plan on trimming the flares. However the slinky coils and shocks are supposed to come with/use a bump stop spacer according to both Icon and Redline, which is one of the bigger differences between the 2 set ups. I was wondering how big of a spacer that is.

Also, my front measures right about 23.5" and rear right at 23".

Edit: trail gear front bumper, 10k winch, sliders, skid, bare 4x4labs rear bumper, sleeper platform w/ drawers removed. 37" spare in cab.
40mm rubber bump from a 70 series & none in front.

Also, my front measures right about 23.5" and rear right at 23".

Edit: trail gear front bumper, 10k winch, sliders, skid, bare 4x4labs rear bumper, sleeper platform w/ drawers removed. 37" spare in cab.

Are we going to see some pics of your rig with the ICON setup ? Would also like to hear your thoughts on it.

So both rigs sit about the same as far as center hub bottom flare... it is interesting they sit a bit nose high. This is actually is better in the handling department as far as breaking in turns etc... Dylan does come from the desert racing community which is how they set up race rigs. I've always have thought this same way to keep vehicles level to a tad low in rear.

I posted these in a different Icon thread, but I'll post them back up here per request.

13719733_10100449845073836_5056653981803567890_o.jpg

13724056_10100449845078826_3331123511129837120_o.jpg
13724113_10100449845228526_1643931280149359537_o.jpg

40mm rubber bump from a 70 series & none in front.

Interesting. Right from the redline website (stage 1 heavy 75mm lift kit description): "Bump stop drop adapters front and rear".

And from Icon: "The overall travel should be pretty similar but where the ride height sits in the travel range differs between the kits. The Slinky springs require bump stop spacers to limit up travel, but have a ton of droop travel from ride height. Our springs do not require any up travel limiters, but do not droop as far as the Slinkys."

That's why I thought the slinky kit used bump stop spacers on both ends, and if so - might be a little better suited to larger tires right out of the gate. Putting big bump stop spacers on the Icon lift takes away from the designed flex/travel since it doesn't droop down as far. I'm hopeful to get the truck to the shop tonight and play with the forklift. I had no rubbing with my 35s, for those that are reading this thread considering the same.

Lots of posts! @half k cruiser , I really like the set up. I don't do anything high speed to warrant the fancy shocks but the stage I set up with the 2.0s has treated me well. The rig isn't bouncy and doesn't sway side to side on the trail like some 80s I've seen out there. Flex feels good and relatively balanced between front/rear. I am running 2.5* OME bushings in the arms, plus 3* trunion bearings in the knuckles for caster, and it tracks well doing down the road. Haven't had a chance to try and washboard roads yet. We drove the entire PCH with it loaded up for a trip and while it wasn't a Lotus carving corners, but was surprisingly fun. I towed a van back from WA to CO and for as fast as the 80 would go with the load, it seemed to carry it well enough for a lifted vehicle on a fairly squishy suspension.

@4rings5cyls thanks for the updates, looking forward to your forklift shots and any further review. I am currently in debate between the ICON springs and trying out the new Tour Flex options @reevesci is developing. The slinkies were an attractive option but the supply problems have made them unfeasible. Good to see so many new options out there for the 80 series.

@half k cruiser will do. Is your avatar on Red Cone? Sure looks like it, but I could be wrong. If you're ever out in CO let me know and you can check it out in person.

Interesting. Right from the redline website (stage 1 heavy 75mm lift kit description): "Bump stop drop adapters front and rear".

And from Icon: "The overall travel should be pretty similar but where the ride height sits in the travel range differs between the kits. The Slinky springs require bump stop spacers to limit up travel, but have a ton of droop travel from ride height. Our springs do not require any up travel limiters, but do not droop as far as the Slinkys."

That's why I thought the slinky kit used bump stop spacers on both ends, and if so - might be a little better suited to larger tires right out of the gate. Putting big bump stop spacers on the Icon lift takes away from the designed flex/travel since it doesn't droop down as far. I'm hopeful to get the truck to the shop tonight and play with the forklift. I had no rubbing with my 35s, for those that are reading this thread considering the same.
I was un aware of of the listing on the Redline site for bump stops... Darren wrote many times none on front. Jasen at Redline might have added that info. His page has a lot of discrepancies like one for sure the secondary rate on the front 75mm springs reads 240lbs when they are truly 260lbs.
When a suspension company offers a kit they do not know what tire size you are running.

@half k cruiser I'm still working on your question...

A few updates since I installed the Stage 3 kit on my '97. First, as mentioned, I LOVE IT! The on-road ride is definitely tighter, but it seems to really soak up the bumps off-road. It's way more composed in the dirt and doesn't feel like it gets tossed around as much. I haven't really had a chance to push it as I too discovered the need for extended brake lines. I ordered a set of +4" all around. Haven't yet installed. The kit is a true +3" and sits level with no armor. Also installed the kit supplied Icon castor correction bushings and front sway-bar drop brackets. Installation was very straightforward.

Just this weekend, I replaced the Toyota panhard bars with a set of TJM adjustables front and rear. Post lift, my axles were about 3/4" off center. The new bars corrected this and also seemed to tame a bit of the "dive to the left" under heavy braking. Stainless brake lines and new fluid should also bring some additional improvement.

@half k cruiser will do. Is your avatar on Red Cone? Sure looks like it, but I could be wrong. If you're ever out in CO let me know and you can check it out in person.

You nailed it. Right at the bottom of the last descent. Running through CO in March on the way to Moab, but doubt I will have time to stop until Grand Junction. I usually come out to the Eastern slope every September and would like to meet up with the local club one of these years.

Hello fellow Mudders...

Has anyone installed or has any reviews to share on the Stage 1 kit? Considering this kit over an OME 3" lift setup.

Any comments / opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20170123-134604.png

Hello fellow Mudders...

Has anyone installed or has any reviews to share on the Stage 1 kit? Considering this kit over an OME 3" lift setup.

View attachment 1387637
Yeah, right now the Icon is the best bang for the buck in dual rate as far as a complete dual rate suspension kit. Just get the kit!
You can also just drive to Icon & talk to @DylanICON in person...

Last edited:
Hello fellow Mudders...

View attachment 1387637
Did you read the first post here? That's the Stage 1 kit. You'll want to get brake line extensions too.

Do you think Icon will offer a Heavy Duty Spring Option for us that have Winch/Front Bumpers and Drawers and Rear Bumpers with Swing Out's ?
You could always ask them. The wonderful thing about Icon is that the owner is a passionate 80 owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom