Icon (on the level) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could always ask them. The wonderful thing about Icon is that the owner is a passionate 80 owner.

this is what I am wondering as well. I have seen a few dual rate springs out there and would like to switch to that setup but my 80 is a heavy pig and I need the heavy load springs like I have now with OME setup. I also have a set of airbags on hand to install eventually for when I tow our pop up trailer.

@GW Nugget that's a bummer you can't trust the vendor's website, and from the sound of the supply issues - it makes one wonder how long the Autocraft/Redline relationship will last. Hopefully it gets squared away.

Got into the shop last night. This was as far as I could take things - the front wheel was starting to rub the wheel well. Rear still had ~1/8" clearance to the frame/well. Front sway bar disconnected, rear attached.

X2MeOmpM-D4fS1dPqtaz11UcofhdDfFbrK4v8pLhAwUKUtc-N4JmMGl85ljynu7VJzSwaznuJG5fVRnMSig7R65w3zRjj9oxr4fJwYPLpPnDdUeV3PouYJGYXQTAAQutGamf3wZtEhhyDjasyJKffRgUoDjOAO3AIZ99V75owYzdrrYHsZNbLm3gZwc_OHQgZb107L-WKTPccSX3wzcdYhzJ4Bk02IA-gG1q-PjNnHMVSOIF-2EJ_VcqqHv4vgEvn8ZhtWGZC3SWA9XR7edTXcX3PTCsGZR1ZYJ0THLpxqdpbqpx2I6ydYX-XbXpRslNNQpwXbWfKUmazSg1nR_p_I-pYPKEK6DW7HQ44_RJmKAb5RoZjaePFWDRdCGaMm7qLcxkY38mpDdXyNYcJ-7U-kRxFeJAeyyB4n19p-VdaHeEkURT3KBw34CwoiQWjMducD1SF6kHRI0RDwfvUGcdfoyUrni62t2FyfXps9Ch1O6P9uONDTrKVODa7rJEcMwjmWRP5l9QJH_P2H-MV8vlMaml7BPufq9sB5QRcHQi75TYY3116In8arxbs5ARDkCL1zGZ76ehGKUIuefBCjw_iYl2Y1FWYvyeGgpWKgCS4Rw2TLBBvQSN=w1140-h855-no

9vc668564iIzJvmQVXY13cGyfEbTXVi2zguDMb2wy7pH8hzCBbY7X1pUM61_FHPa6qdQhDH76gv93TwcH9EP2B9ijteWG-kw0RzZxB0V_slmFtvxgY7gPTmwCjCvWd7Vgpm9WWdw-m0gel6li9XBryVc-2yuu8kTqL2mn0h9j0ayONp4P7nMGMFcvxU62xdM9ARBG0BS2ol9R5nMnU4sH9N9i_q4xw3EfELvb0q6qT_Kh-M-Kt1Asq91nqbvdSGVVqP9B2B46xPT9ZS7kV6-z0HhZp0HgoCjlIQ0pD8h2XrnrZqlhnppUHoVanxoFrUoTu_ImRxCBrz99rHTzVncyc1guaJVVG7V5PZcBzSiPMZQi7rd14zAmNVRPeRIexjNeNgXf51tLDlkjU9PUhMTzz2xtcMNKPNTES5p9GyQvlSCloCaefXAAGJar4hZ-bWVVN0lk6ClpB7ojqvY1Tsoqu9gZ2tm7C6K6EoXXfel2bI-T7fxa-Ff2u6m6jSZ7r52g3CiCRKNQPuYy25ctVLxUKPL3oHXZsBVO9F2ToqDF7Ev13-zQfAYSXbEoelqhqnbM87YeCQxomYBqzLzF1_7tZP6-hD0JJedqn5OWBNd8Pggh_hGnFrH=w1140-h855-no

Overall compared to the other pics I lost a little travel, but I still need to put in adjustable rear bars and fix the mildly bent rear lower links. The front will definitely need some love but that was expected. The rear fits better than expected and shouldn't need too much attention comparatively.

Stage 1 and training wheels.

IMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3784.jpg

UPDATE: I've had a chance to do a bit of wheeling since installing the Icon lift. And I've gotten some weight in it.
First, articulation: one section had a fair bit of cross-axle ruts and I hadn't aired down my tires yet. I'm not locked and I expected I might loose traction or get some tire slip. Nope. I realized that the increased articulation kept my tires planted. Waaay different than my OME Stock heighters.
Weight: I'm sitting tall, 3+" as my rig is light currently. I had about 800 lbs of people and gear in it on a mild trail last weekend. Felt great with a bit of compression on those springs.

Seems like good reviews on this kit so far, my suspension needs some love and I'm looking at the stage 1 kit as it seems to best suit my needs.

Those that are seeing 3.5" from this kit, are you running the 70mm springs, or the 75mm? If I gain much over my current height I won't fit into my parkade at work, so that's a definite consideration. Could someone with 70mm springs measure from the wheel center to bottom of the flare for me, and ballpark the weight of their truck?

Edit: or am I getting confused with the Slinky kit I've also read a lot about, and the Icon kits are all 3" lift?

Last edited:
Seems like good reviews on this kit so far, my suspension needs some love and I'm looking at the stage 1 kit as it seems to best suit my needs.

Those that are seeing 3.5" from this kit, are you running the 70mm springs, or the 75mm? If I gain much over my current height I won't fit into my parkade at work, so that's a definite consideration. Could someone with 70mm springs measure from the wheel center to bottom of the flare for me, and ballpark the weight of their truck?

Edit: or am I getting confused with the Slinky kit I've also read a lot about, and the Icon kits are all 3" lift?
I believe all Icon kits use the same springs.

I believe all Icon kits use the same springs.

Gotcha, then I just need to measure my current lift and see how much I'd stand to gain with the Icon setup to make sure it's feasible.

Did you ever weigh your truck with full gas and driver so I can compare?

Looks like I sit about 22.5" from wheel center to bottom of the flare, so call it a 2.5" lift currently. The sunroof visor hits the sign going into the parkade at this height, I brought a tape measure and currently have 2-2.5" clearance to the roof girders in most places, it looks damn close at speed!

I also weighed my truck today, 5865lbs with full gas and me and my daughter inside (3152lbs front axle, 2711lbs rear axle), the recently added steel rear bumper and sliders is noticeable and really makes the blown Fox's shine, lol. On that note, I pulled the trigger on the Icon Stage 1 kit today, so that's pretty exciting! I'll have to go on the weekend when it's dead and make sure my truck still fits in the parkade...

Do they typically use different spring rates for the heavier diesel engines?

No, I've never seen a diesel specific lift spring from any market (AUS, JPN, etc). I'm not really sure how much heavier the diesel engine really is, as seen above my front axle weight is only 441lbs heavier than the rear, what does an FZJ weigh on the front axle as a comparison?

Looks like I sit about 22.5" from wheel center to bottom of the flare, so call it a 2.5" lift currently. The sunroof visor hits the sign going into the parkade at this height, I brought a tape measure and currently have 2-2.5" clearance to the roof girders in most places, it looks damn close at speed!

I also weighed my truck today, 5865lbs with full gas and me and my daughter inside (3152lbs front axle, 2711lbs rear axle), the recently added steel rear bumper and sliders is noticeable and really makes the blown Fox's shine, lol. On that note, I pulled the trigger on the Icon Stage 1 kit today, so that's pretty exciting! I'll have to go on the weekend when it's dead and make sure my truck still fits in the parkade...
That's almost identical to my weights.

I too have the kit and like it - unloaded. Kitted out for a full trip (food, water, tools, parts, dogs) they sag a bit. Might not be as bad if I did not have a 4x4labs rear bumper with dual swingouts and a fairly heavy sleeping platform.

finally seriously looking at lift kits and am debating between the OME with 863J springs vs. ICON stage 1. I'm also looking at the 4x4 labs bumper with dual swing and jerry cans. If you had to do it over again would you still get the ICONs w/sag or consider the OME with heavy springs?

finally seriously looking at lift kits and am debating between the OME with 863J springs vs. ICON stage 1. I'm also looking at the 4x4 labs bumper with dual swing and jerry cans. If you had to do it over again would you still get the ICONs w/sag or consider the OME with heavy springs?

I'm very happy with my Icon stage 1 lift. Only issue was some spring clatter over sharp bumps, took a while to diagnose, but easily solved with a set of spring isolators (large size).

Tein Silencer Rubber (130mm+ Diameter Springs)

^^ I might grab a pair of those. I have some chatter over square edge bumps that I just cannot trace down for the life of me. Almost everything else on the front end is new and tight.

If I had to do it over again, I'm not sure what I'd do. The extra weight of a dual swing out bumper, 37" spare (heavy), 2 jerry cans, 140lbs of dogs, probably 100 lbs in tools and recovery gear, 20-50 lbs in camping gear, easily 100 lbs of sleeping platform, and call it around 150 lbs in the bike rack + bikes that we bring on trips definitely weighs down the rear. But if I go out close to town I'm almost entirely unloaded, and the springs are great.

^^ I might grab a pair of those. I have some chatter over square edge bumps that I just cannot trace down for the life of me. Almost everything else on the front end is new and tight.

If I had to do it over again, I'm not sure what I'd do. The extra weight of a dual swing out bumper, 37" spare (heavy), 2 jerry cans, 140lbs of dogs, probably 100 lbs in tools and recovery gear, 20-50 lbs in camping gear, easily 100 lbs of sleeping platform, and call it around 150 lbs in the bike rack + bikes that we bring on trips definitely weighs down the rear. But if I go out close to town I'm almost entirely unloaded, and the springs are great.

Try hitting the springs with a rubber mallet and see if it's the same noise you're hearing. This was a tough one to track down!

Ah, that's a good idea. I try to avoid wailing on things with a hammer...but it's worth a shot.

Look at the Stage1 Slinky kits. Still Icon shocks but custom spec'd. The Slinky coils will handle loads better than the icon springs since you're looking at bumpers etc. Having had OME heavy J springs for 15 plus years before switching, there is no way I'd do OME if I had it to do over again. I can't see myself ever going back to an OME suspension.

Is Redline the only place that sells the Slinky kits? I'm seeing their name around the 'net and the forum but links to their site are either error pages or when I try to navigate directly to the site there's nothing on the page about the kits.

Is Redline the only place that sells the Slinky kits? I'm seeing their name around the 'net and the forum but links to their site are either error pages or when I try to navigate directly to the site there's nothing on the page about the kits.
No they are not a Slinky dealer any longer. Endless Horizon Outfitters is the go to spot for Slinky kits! Kevin will take good care of you.
Suspension 80-Series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom