I want my 80 to last forever, but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think aftermarket support will remain to keep them going. There are plenty of vehicles that the manufacturer no longer makes parts for that you can go down to your local parts store and get what you need.

Some of the replies are pretty interesting. I bought an 80 for a winter vehicle and some replies were to park it in the winter!

Honestly having a parts 80 or two would really help keep one going if you decided to run it forever. The one I bought had 305K on the odometer and needed a HG. Once it's back together it's just going to be slowly built back up piece by piece.
I thought about a 100 series but the 80 is better built. The 100 is a compromise.

I think aftermarket support will remain to keep them going. There are plenty of vehicles that the manufacturer no longer makes parts for that you can go down to your local parts store and get what you need.

This is true for vehicles when the count is in the millions.

Not so true when you only had maybe 200k vehicles for an entire run (as well as a company--toyota--that is not interesting in giving proprietary info out)...

Aftermarket parts are inherently inferior in most cases to OEM Toyota parts... That's a fact.

40s are still running many more years later :meh:

This is true for vehicles when the count is in the millions.

Not so true when you only had maybe 200k vehicles for an entire run (as well as a company--toyota--that is not interesting in giving proprietary info out)...

Aftermarket parts are inherently inferior in most cases to OEM Toyota parts... That's a fact.

I'll beg to differ on this. I've been in the early bronco world for many years and I can guarantee it's as strong as it's ever been. The total sales of that model over it's 12 year run was less than 250k and the aftermarket is only growing for that iconic model.

I see no reason why the 80 series would be any different.

Toyota will never ever build a vehicle with SFA in the front again for the US market. Not happening. They have moved on to other things like making a gazillion dollars every quarter. They are, face it, not interested in folks like us anymore. They are willing to lose this market to gobble up every other market. They will let Jeep have the SUV enthusiast market. The fact remains 99% of people on mud (including me) can't afford a new Land Cruiser. It's made to be that way folks. Toyota is not interested in supporting anymore people driving 20-40 yr old vehicles. Just be happy we can get the parts we can currently. I can't wait to revisit this topic in 10 years when 80 series parts really start drying up and gasoline hits $4-5 a gallon and none of us will be able to continue driving them anyway. Enjoy this while it lasts. Because things are going to change rapidly in the next 10-15 yrs regarding automobile development, manufacture and sales.

I agree. I talked with the owner of the local Toyota dealership. He owns an old 40 series and loves it. He told me straight up that Toyota would not make another solid front axle vehicle. They are too expensive to make and too heavy. Toyota is focused on making the most fuel efficient fleet offered in the US and heavier vehicles do not fit into that equation. My 80 will probably outlast me as I am nearing 60 years of age but it is distressing that future wheelers do not have much to look forward to.

I'll beg to differ on this. I've been in the early bronco world for many years and I can guarantee it's as strong as it's ever been. The total sales of that model over it's 12 year run was less than 250k and the aftermarket is only growing for that iconic model. I see no reason why the 80 series would be any different.
i agree the early bronco market is HUGE... I miss my 72 and 75 uncut... :) but I do lovey lx450

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

funny you say that I was at the Toyota dealership my wife was working at and checking out a 200 series. Salesman asked me should we work up a deal for you? I said no way I would never trade my LX450 for that lol. He had a puzzled look on his face... Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I would not hesitate a 200 series at all. Problem is my wife doesn't want another SUV.

I love the 80. It has the classic looks, but features 90s tech. It feels smaller than the 4th gen t4r v8 limited I owned. It was well underpowered as well. But for something so old now, it remains an incredible value with a loyal following.

As an owner of a 200 lc, I find some of the disdain for it (soccer mom) rather amusing. It's the same rally around what you got attitude you see in the 911 air cooled crowd.

I enjoy all land cruisers mind you and hope the 80s owners maintain them in top shape as they become the fj60 for the next generation of fans like myself.

In the meantime, my rear end will be chilling lit and fig in my 200's air cooled seats.

I'll beg to differ on this. I've been in the early bronco world for many years and I can guarantee it's as strong as it's ever been. The total sales of that model over it's 12 year run was less than 250k and the aftermarket is only growing for that iconic model. I see no reason why the 80 series would be any different.

The Bronco is an iconic American vehicle.

The Land Cruiser is an exotic import.

Please walk into any parts store and get a water pump and thermostat for an 80 series off the shelf.

9 times out of ten they will have to special order it.

Do the same for a Bronco and you'll be walking out with parts in hand.

:meh:

Please walk into any parts store and get a water pump and thermostat for an 80 series off the shelf.

Napa has just about everything for a '61 Buick - just sayin' :hillbilly:

Buick.jpg

Sorry Beno, I'm not buying the "exotic import" argument. The reality is this vehicle will last for the long term simply because it *can* be modified. Sure, there's plenty of folks who will want to keep them 100% stock with Toyota parts (seen it with Broncos many times trying to buy all OEM - forget it), but as you say, that won't last. I see the 80 series living on for the long term as a vehicle proven to be versatile and capable, regardless of OEM parts. Eventually when old man Toyota quits making parts, the aftermarket *will* fill the gap...why? Because the vehicle has become too important to NOT develop a good solution to a problem.

Maybe I'm an optimist...but I've seen the early Bronco market fill the gap for parts long since gone or discontinued. Ie. I can go out and buy a brand NEW frame for an early bronco that was NEVER as strong as what the factory offered...and yet the aftermarket is now offering. Or an engine, or a transmission, or a set of axles, or an interior component, or whatever you want.

My point here, and again I may be an optimist, is this vehicle can, will, SHOULD, have the long term support it deserves. And I think you're seeing it...

Okay so maybe the old 1FZ motor isn't going to last...but maybe, just maybe that's because there's BETTER solutions. Look at the crazy nut ball ICON Bronco...that's sure as heck not being driven by any old carbureted 302. Heck even my own old beater Bronco was changed to a SEFI 5.0 years ago.

Anyway, enough rambling for a new year...I'm the (somewhat) new guy here so I'll take my lashings...but I'll stand by my statements that the 80 series will last a VERY long time, regardless of who's providing the parts.

I would not hesitate a 200 series at all. Problem is my wife doesn't want another SUV.
i wouldn't pay 80k for a super sized Highlander lol. Now a 70 series we are talking....

Sorry Beno, I'm not buying the "exotic import" argument. The reality is this vehicle will last for the long term simply because it *can* be modified. Sure, there's plenty of folks who will want to keep them 100% stock with Toyota parts (seen it with Broncos many times trying to buy all OEM - forget it), but as you say, that won't last. I see the 80 series living on for the long term as a vehicle proven to be versatile and capable, regardless of OEM parts. Eventually when old man Toyota quits making parts, the aftermarket *will* fill the gap...why? Because the vehicle has become too important to NOT develop a good solution to a problem. Maybe I'm an optimist...but I've seen the early Bronco market fill the gap for parts long since gone or discontinued. Ie. I can go out and buy a brand NEW frame for an early bronco that was NEVER as strong as what the factory offered...and yet the aftermarket is now offering. Or an engine, or a transmission, or a set of axles, or an interior component, or whatever you want. My point here, and again I may be an optimist, is this vehicle can, will, SHOULD, have the long term support it deserves. And I think you're seeing it... Okay so maybe the old 1FZ motor isn't going to last...but maybe, just maybe that's because there's BETTER solutions. Look at the crazy nut ball ICON Bronco...that's sure as heck not being driven by any old carbureted 302. Heck even my own old beater Bronco was changed to a SEFI 5.0 years ago. Anyway, enough rambling for a new year...I'm the (somewhat) new guy here so I'll take my lashings...but I'll stand by my statements that the 80 series will last a VERY long time, regardless of who's providing the parts.
Exactly why I put a 6.0L in my LX. I don't want to buy part strictly at the dealer, I don't want the lack of power. No offense to the purist. I shifted back to the cruiser world from the Early Bronco crowd and was baffled on how expense parts were (lifts, parts ect) but at the end of the day I love my Lexus and will someday get another Bronco. Beno is right I NEVER had issues buying parts at any local auto store, rarely had to special order.

i wouldn't pay 80k for a super sized Highlander lol. Now a 70 series we are talking.... Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I thought the same thing when I first saw them. But after driving my boss's a few times and seeing two built up, I REALLY like it. Since a 70 series is impossible for us in this country, the 200 is pretty damn sweet.

Whether or not you like the offering is one thing. Both are still sports cars. From my understanding Subaru supplied the boxer engine and Toyota did chassis development. Subaru was (or is?) building the Camry for Toyota in a US plant too.

I guess.....but one is the "geo" of sports cars and the other is the "Bugatti" of sports cars.....in my opinion neither is a "sportscar."

What are you looking for then? Toyota doesn't make muscle cars (I'm ok with that) so no Camero or Mustang types. You want something along the lines of an S2000 (which Honda doesn't make anymore) or a Nissan Z? And the FRS was a joint collaboration between the 2. But at any rate I don't think Toyota has a hard time selling cars. Until I bought my Honda (cheap commuter) I hadn't owned a non Toyota in almost 10 years. Even now were looking for a GX for road trips/family vehicle. But back to the topic of the thread. If my 80 died I would get either another or if Toyota would Reinvent the Classic 40 I'd go with that. Fat-fingered on my iPhone using IH8MUD

Toyota doesn't have trouble selling cars because they are conservative and sell to the masses. I think they were aware of his even when they made the LFA. It was so exclusive that they knew they wouldn't have an inventory problem.

But back to my question....does ANY company compete with a rubicon in stock form?? I know I could buy another 4runner and get lockers...but I am talking out of the box....is there a vehicle as capable, brand new, that competes with the rube?!??

Also, I have read lately that due to our presidents car regulations, not trying to turn this political, just stating a fact, there are new weight regulations and the 2015 wrangler may not have solid axles. Will 2014 rubicon become the next 97-80 series??

Again, I have never cared for Jeeps, but facts are facts, I have a pretty big budget and would buy a new rover or year old g-class....but dollar for dollar the rubicon is the best I can find....

I have a Jeep. I love the convertible aspect but they are not built like the vehicles we own here out of the box. There are recalls on the newer ones for engine problems and most leak water from the side doors. bla bla bla. I could go on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom