I need an engine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2F runners go for about $300 if people can find buyers. I'd search out a good runner before rebuilding one.

It has worked out well for me with SBCs... first so-so $300 one I found lasted 21 years... the latest $300 is 10x better, and will likely outlast a crate motor. '72 350 with 70k miles that sparked inside... newer RV CAM and fresh gaskets... it'll be good for another 45 years.

So I found an engine from a '84 fj60 that a 2f. All parts seem to be there, the owner told me he bought the truck for parts and the plugs were cut and he doesn't have the keys also doesn't know the condition of the motor.
I will be going to take a look at it this Saturday.
If the engine is in good looking condition and everything checks out well how much would be a decent asking price for it, vs a price for the motor if it needs to be rebuilt?
Also since this is from an 84 fj60 would it fit on my 78 fj40s motor mounts and be a good engine to pass smog check here in California?

Screenshot_20180208-014702.png

Screenshot_20180208-014658.png

Screenshot_20180208-014654.png

It may or may not be good, but it looks fairly complete.

At a minimum, take a known good battery to turn over the motor and do a compression check.

There are a lot of parts needed though, so make sure your deal includes all the VSVs, ABVs and other bits mounted on the driver side fender. You'll also want the coil/ignitor on the passenger fender. And if it was me, I'd want the entire drivetrain back to and including the transfercase. You'll also want the exhaust back to the cat.

If this motor is good, then in the end after a bunch of work, it could make an excellent swap, BUT if the motor is in unknown condition, I would pass and look for a good runner.

Regarding the motor mounts, they are in the same location, but the cast ears that bolt to the side of the motor are slightly different. You will want to use the 78 ones as the 84 ones don't have the relief in the underside that engages the top of the actual motor mount.

Before you do any work, you need to make sure this motor is healthy. That's going to be a chore if it isn't currently in operation. You can do a compression test, look at the oil pull the valve cover etc. Good luck, I hope it works out for you. $350 is my price for a used 2F complete. Since this one isn't running, I'd offer $350 for all of it including the transfercase and driveshafts. If it was a known good runner that you could fire up and look/listen/feel I'd be willing to spend $500 or so. But the '85 2F in my FJ40 was $300 about 5 years ago and it's been excellent and far better than the 76 2F that was there before. It's funny but when you don't need a motor, they are everywhere, sometimes giveaways or very cheap. When you actually have an urgent need, they are as rare as hen's teeth and cost $1000!

You sure you can't register out of state? That would open so many more avenues.

@Cruiserdrew thanks for all that info, very helpful.
I do have a friend that j lives here in California but also has a Arizona ID. How would I register it in another state? Would I need to have it towed over there and have the DMV look at it?
If I have it registered in Arizona with my friend would both our names be on the registration?
If I get pulled over by the cops and have Arizona plates with California ID would they require me to change them? Haha I have bunch of questions

So then even tho this engine is from 84, I won't need the cat since mine is a 78?

Hard to know. The emission controls on the FJ60 were designed with having a cat in mind. If the smog guy thinks it's a 78 motor when you smog it, it will likely be OK. If they know it's a later motor, it has to have ALL the later motor's smog gear. So you want to keep the fact it's a new replacement motor on the down-low as the 78 smog standard is lower and easier to pass.

There's a bunch of bits you're going to need along with the motor. From your 1st post, you have the trans/t'case ?

Have you tried Mark's Off Road in Burbank? www.marksoffroad.net

Don't know how long it's been sitting but you're probably gonna wanna make sure it steers and stops well, too.

As for the FJ60 motor above, I would not pay a lot for it without at least pulling the head or some other way of verifying it's good. They get parked for a reason and it's usually engine-related.

Lots of unknowns - no keys, no plugs, no history -- I'd at least make sure the engine spins.

There's an aftermarket A/C unit on there, so the truck was prolly not originally from Kalif.

How much and what year

So a 3FE would be a great set up. But you still need all it's smog gear and it will be hard to hide the fact it isn't the original motor. If they notice, you'll have to meet the 1990 standard. Which would suck. But with that said, the 3FE is an excellent motor, far better than a 2F, but making it all happen would take time and effort. (which means money)

If I were you I would call someone like Georg @orangefj45 and tell him you need a running 2F. Someone will bring in an FJ60 to his shop for a conversion to diesel or 5.3, and you'll have the motor you want with all of the parts. I have seen them put 2Fs in the recycling there if they aren't in perfect shape and ready to repower something else. He will give you an honest opinion of the take out motor and can even do your repower for a fair price. You might also check with @brooksfj60 who might have one too. Mudrak had a bunch of 2Fs at one time, so he's someone else to check with.

Good luck, Hoping something perfect falls in your lap.

One other thing, @FJ60Cam is doing a 2F to LS swap. He's in Tennessee and it's a long way, but for sure he's going to have a 2F here shortly, but I know nothing about the motor. There's a reason it's being replaced.

There must be something magic in California to make people put up with all the issues.

Bikinis in February ? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom