I just failed my E-test.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That wasnt really a surprise, I just took the emissions test to see where I stand.

Currently, my FJ40 has been de-smogged (by the previous owner) and I checked it without any of the emissions control equipment on it. My HC ppm at idle was nearly 1500 (400 is the limit here in Colorado) and 411 at 2500 rpms. My CO level at idle is 9.99 % at idle (under 3% is passing).

Kief was kind enough to sell me his emissions control equipment, but I have not installed it yet. I'm curious if any of you guys know how much difference it will make in the E-test situation. I have to install it anyway, to pass the visual inspection, I'm just curious about how much other work I might have to do.

Right now, my engine is running rich anyway, I still havent gotten the Carb adjusted to the elevation all the way (I moved here from Ohio), although I did take it in to the shop to have them set the timing and adjust my mix for me... i guess it didnt do the trick (maybe needs to be re-jetted?).

Anyway, my exhaust smells awful... if I drive around with the top off, I smell like a lawn-mower when I go inside.

So, how much will the smog equipemnt help? You guys have any other pointers on how to pass a Colorado E-test?

TIA

-AnthroCruiser

I don't know the rules and regs. for CO, but I'd first look at re-jetting plus advancing the timing some more, even if it pings a little or runs a little hot, just to get past the test, plus turn the idle mixture in. If you smell like a lawnmower then you could do a little work yet with the carb.

I hate it when that happens, answer a post and somebody beats you, end up sounding like a mimic.

It is both misfiring (high HC) and running rich (high CO).

Check your compression and tune it up. If the compression is good and it still fails after the tune up, then rebuild the carb and maybe go to the next smaller jet.
Havine the air injection and catalyst working would help, but I doubt it will cure those numbers.

where in colorado are you??? i know a kick ass carb guy in colorado springs if you are intrested.. with a rebuilt and properly jetted carb and all the Emmissions stuff you should be good to go!

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I figured that my Carb was my biggest issue. I also have the stock points on there... and I'm thinking about upgrading to a HEI or otherwise electronic system.

Isotel, I'm up in Fort Collins. I took it to Fort Collins 4x4 to get the timing and carb adjusted after I moved here, since I was short on time and assumed that they would have seen a bunch of these... but the thing is running horribly now.

So, Colorado Springs would be a bit of a trip... I'm assuming 100 miles or so from here, but it might be worth it if this guy knows what he's doing. And my cruiser is my daily driver...

Anyone know a good, intelligent mechanic in the Fort Collins area? :)

Thanks again, everyone...

-AnthroCruiser

AnthroCruiser,

I failed my emissions test in March. I had a shop in Greeley install a new Weber Carb kit that I purchased from man-a-fre (aka man-it-ain't-free). I've heard mixed messages about Asian vs. Weber--anyway, my cruiser is running better now than it EVER has.

Scott Williams
Greeley Auto Tech

He did a great job. He had to re-jet the carb because of the altitude, but as I said it runs great and passes emmissions. You might have a problem with the cruiser being de-smogged. Also the weber kit was ~$400.00.

My cruiser was desmogged and I didn't even know it when I took my Colorado emissions test. I passed with flying colors.

The mechanic I had work on my trunion seals told me that there was suppose to be stuff connected to the engine.

I had my emmisions done at a place in Aurora off of Buckley. By the way, if you get the 5 year collector plates you don't have to renew for 5 years and you NEVER have to take another emmissions test. With the plates you renew every year, you have to get an emmissions every year.

Thanks for the tip jl, maybe I'll give him a call, sounds like he might be able to help withmy carb.

Romer, do you have a stock carb? I would kinda like to keep mine (rebuild rather than Weber, etc.) They guys that gave me the E-test said I couldnt pass without my air-pump, the rest I could do without.... it's pre-catalyst anyway. Any thing non-stock that might have helped you out?

I'm going to get the collector plates :) Seems like a lot less hassle.

-Anthro

All stock. Just nicely tuned. I do have an air pump though. I guess I'm not 100% de-smogged. What I am missing is whatever coonects to the hookup on top of the engine.

Sorry if I mislead you.

A little closer than Colorado Springs - in Boulder, try Charley's Garage 303-443-7714. He's got a mechanic who pretty much does only Cruisers. You could likely get a good rec as to what jets should be in the carb. Anyone know when the High Altitude Compensator system was added to the 2F? My 84FJ60 runs stock jets but is leaned out by the HAC. Personally, I'd stick with the Aisin carb.

Thanks for the info 60wag.

He sounds like a good guy to call, at least for some good info. My Cruiser is my daily driver, and my ONLY driver, so I don't know if leaving the carb in Boulder for any period of time is really an option, but since thats going to be a problem no matter what, I'll have to consider it.

Thanks again guys

-Anthro

Antrho,

Another option is to find a rebuilt carb, and have them ship it to you and then do the swap when it arrives, and send back the core. This option probably has the shortest 'downtime.' I would guess it would cost about the same as a new weber but cheaper than a new aisan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom