HZJ77 front leaf to 76/80 series style front suspension conversion questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I currently have an HZJ77 "Heavy Duty" model which has front and rear leaf springs. I've been looking at getting new springs, and a friend suggested I look at swapping over to a front radius arm suspension system.

I know the later model 70s came with front radius arms and coil springs, and my friend has an extra 80 series front axle which is the same axle the 70 series use, but with the radius arm mounts instead of leaf mounts.

As such, my questions are:

A. Would it be possible to convert to a radius arm system? If so, how hard would it be? Could we use 80 series parts?

B. Has anyone done this conversion before?

C. Would it be WORTH the trouble to convert it to a radius arm system? What are the Up-sides to a radius arm suspension? What are the draw backs?

I'm a n00b when it comes to suspension set ups and their advantages, ESPECIALLY leaves vs radius arms (I know a 3 link or 4 link would be VASTLY superior to both, but want to keep it somewhat original...)

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

Yes it is possible, both @SNLC and @Loober have done it. There are a couple of threads on the subject if I remember correctly, some digging around here in 70 tech should reveal quite a lot of info about the swap.

Yes it is possible, both @SNLC and @Loober have done it. There are a couple of threads on the subject if I remember correctly, some digging around here in 70 tech should reveal quite a lot of info about the swap.
Hmm, ok. I'll have to keep looking. Only thing I've found has been LJ70s arms not being compatible (or available) and some stuff about the 80's acles being similar to the 76 for layout...

80 series axles are wider , you can order all the brackets and associated parts you need and reuse your 77 axle , neither cheap or easy though . SNLC put all the part numbers in his PZJ70 tread long time ago

80 series axles are wider , you can order all the brackets and associated parts you need and reuse your 77 axle , neither cheap or easy though . SNLC put all the part numbers in his PZJ70 tread long time ago
Yeah, it took me 45 minutes of searching through SNLC's comments, but I finally found his build thread and am reading through it.

What're your thoughts on actually doing the conversion? Worth it?

Yeah, it took me 45 minutes of searching through SNLC's comments, but I finally found his build thread and am reading through it.

Just curious, what are your issues with the current stock setup?

Just curious, what are your issues with the current stock setup?
No real issues. My friend just suggested we do it because he has a spare 80 axle. The ride comfort seems like a decent benefit, but I don't know HOW much difference there would be. Same with additional flex offroad.

This was before I found that it's 3" wider, even with my 2" wheel spacers... and due to that the coil mounts probably don't align. (I'm still reading SNLC's thread) Which is kind of annoying, but I still want to see/hear the benefits vs drawbacks

Yes it is within this thread:

Yes it is within this thread:

That link comes up with a warning that says: "The requested thread could not be found."

Yea, must be ih8mud bug, happens sometimes, give it a try later. Thats the thread its in.

I must be blocked also. I can’t open it either.

I already did a HZJ73 with custom 3 link in the front and 4 link in the rear but that was for rockcrawling . Going to start another personal HZJ73 build later this year and going to start from a shortened 80 frame . I am getting old and so is driving around on leaf springs for me ;)

Try to do a test drive with a 70 series Prado somewhere and you will feel the difference , HZJ73 body and engine/trans combo on a light duty coil sprung frame would make a great daily driver . The leaf springs however are not as picky to what you load in the back and with coils your load capacity will be limited , in the end it all depends on what you want to do with your cruiser and how far you want to go in chasing the ultimate set up

No real issues. My friend just suggested we do it because he has a spare 80 axle. The ride comfort seems like a decent benefit, but I don't know HOW much difference there would be. Same with additional flex offroad.

This was before I found that it's 3" wider, even with my 2" wheel spacers... and due to that the coil mounts probably don't align. (I'm still reading SNLC's thread) Which is kind of annoying, but I still want to see/hear the benefits vs drawbacks

My build thread that lays it all out is annoying?

Yo bro, I got nothing for ya than! 😑

Cheers

If you are wanting something to do with your spare time, and want to learn? Go for it.

If you are just wanting to increase the quality of the ride, then I think it would be a lot less frustrating and cost effective to add greaseable shackles and new bushings/pins on your existing leafs.

Want an even better ride? Try the new parabolic springs with the above.

I think it would be a lot less frustrating and cost effective to add greaseable shackles and new bushings/pins on your existing leafs.

Agreed. I don’t think there is much ROI for this type of swap. Not for most people anyways.

Coil sprung heavy duty 70 series are almost legal for import starting with the JDM HZJ76 models, right?

Last edited:
Running over a nickel in the road and the resulting “spine-jarring” reaction is half the fun of owning a leaf sprung 70 Series. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom