HZJ77 Electrical issues (and more!) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Long time reader, barely ever poster as I am not super skilled at forum etiquette yet. Please be gentle haha and thanks in advance for any and all safe wisdom you can impart.

So I have a 1990 HZJ77 and am going through a divorce which is wonderful. What's not wonderful is now I only have this vehicle and full custody of three kids, so keeping it fully functional is a necessity until I can afford a beater car.

The other day was especially cold (located in greater Cincinnati Ohio area), I had left the truck out of the garage overnight like a non-Cinci native and I HAD to get my kids to their supervised visitation with their mom. Tried to crank her up and she wouldn't start so I figured diesel had gelled. I was in a panic so I cranked it too many times (and discovered a kid had left the rear side door slightly ajar all night) and the batteries also died. I got my neighbor to drive me to AutoZone so I could get new batteries and some anti-gelling emergency fluid. Added that to the tank, installed new batteries since the old ones were 11 years old or more anyway.

She cranked right up just fine and we got on our merry way. On the way home the AT oil Temp light, filter light, AND battery light all turned on...so I'm guessing I need a new fuel filter and the anti-gelling agent caused sediment to clog the filter?

I ordered a new filter from cruiser outfitters/cruiserteq site but I won't be here til Thursday and I need to be able to drop off/pick up kids...

I don't get the battery light at all though. The batteries I installed were ok'd by autozones finest staff (who were skeptical my truck is really diesel of course because they're for sure experts). They're group 27F -DLG Duralast Golds, 710 CCAs.

Basically I'm just hoping you guys who know way more about these awesome vehicles than a rookie like me know

A) What's going on??
B) Temporary fixes to keep her running without any serious damage til I get the right fuel filter/parts??

That Christmas money sure went quick... 🤕

On the way home the AT oil Temp light, filter light, AND battery light all turned on...so I'm guessing I need a new fuel filter and the anti-gelling agent caused sediment to clog the filter?

A clogged fuel filter does not cause those other lights to come on. That's an electrical problem , probably a bad earth. If its a 24v you should mention it.

Bad ground or voltage regulator. Bad alternator or voltage regulator will cause those lights to come on.
when my voltage regulator went Out my lights went on like that. Right now when cold, my first mile or 2 my lights flicker once like a millisecond when I shift from 2nd/3rd for some reason.
not sure if it’s an alternator or the VR again but it’s only a small blip when cold.

Check in your area for a Starter Alternator repair specialty shop.
They should be able to test regulator and alternator for you on the spot.

Ditto, definitely start with testing the alternator and checking the condition of the fusible links by the batteries. If you can't find a solution there, then until you can fix it, it will probably be a good idea to unplug the batteries when you let it sit overnight so you can eliminate having power related starting problems in the morning as well as not destroying your new batteries. If you can rule out those easy ones then you'll have the pleasure of going through the grounds and harness. Electrical diagnostics on these aren't anything special. If you need to go that deep this pdf has the hzj7x wiring diagrams at the end.

Attachments

• Toyota Land Cruiser Electrical Wiring Diagram_ 1HZ Heavy ( PDFDrive ).pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 123
Bad ground or voltage regulator. Bad alternator or voltage regulator will cause those lights to come on.
when my voltage regulator went Out my lights went on like that. Right now when cold, my first mile or 2 my lights flicker once like a millisecond when I shift from 2nd/3rd for some reason.
not sure if it’s an alternator or the VR again but it’s only a small blip when cold.
Hey Thanks! I found another thread with someone (maybe you, I can't remember) posting the same exact question and it was the alternator. Definitely going to see if I can find a repair shop for it ASAP.

our area for a Starter Alternator repair specialty shop.
They should be able to test regulator and alternator for you o
Hi all,

Long time reader, barely ever poster as I am not super skilled at forum etiquette yet. Please be gentle haha and thanks in advance for any and all safe wisdom you can impart.

So I have a 1990 HZJ77 and am going through a divorce which is wonderful. What's not wonderful is now I only have this vehicle and full custody of three kids, so keeping it fully functional is a necessity until I can afford a beater car.

The other day was especially cold (located in greater Cincinnati Ohio area), I had left the truck out of the garage overnight like a non-Cinci native and I HAD to get my kids to their supervised visitation with their mom. Tried to crank her up and she wouldn't start so I figured diesel had gelled. I was in a panic so I cranked it too many times (and discovered a kid had left the rear side door slightly ajar all night) and the batteries also died. I got my neighbor to drive me to AutoZone so I could get new batteries and some anti-gelling emergency fluid. Added that to the tank, installed new batteries since the old ones were 11 years old or more anyway.

She cranked right up just fine and we got on our merry way. On the way home the AT oil Temp light, filter light, AND battery light all turned on...so I'm guessing I need a new fuel filter and the anti-gelling agent caused sediment to clog the filter?

I ordered a new filter from cruiser outfitters/cruiserteq site but I won't be here til Thursday and I need to be able to drop off/pick up kids...

I don't get the battery light at all though. The batteries I installed were ok'd by autozones finest staff (who were skeptical my truck is really diesel of course because they're for sure experts). They're group 27F -DLG Duralast Golds, 710 CCAs.

Basically I'm just hoping you guys who know way more about these awesome vehicles than a rookie like me know

A) What's going on??
B) Temporary fixes to keep her running without any serious damage til I get the right fuel filter/parts??

That Christmas money sure went quick... 🤕
UPDATE: I called a few shops but haven't found one that's able to actually repair. I went into a parts store and they were able to test, according to their testing unit the issue is the voltage regulator. Not sure where I can find a replacement, as CruiserTeq's site didn't have them listed...anyone know of where I can find one for sale, or have a spare I can beg off of you?

THANKS to everyone who replied! Greatly, greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I called a few shops but haven't found one that's able to actually repair. I went into a parts store and they were able to test, according to their testing unit the issue is the voltage regulator. Not sure where I can find a replacement, as CruiserTeq's site didn't have them listed...anyone know of where I can find one for sale, or have a spare I can beg off of you?

THANKS to everyone who replied! Greatly, greatly appreciated.

just call @cruiseroutfit they have a ton of parts not listed. Cruiser outfitters = cruiserteq.
Is your voltage regulator internal or external? Either way a call to them would be best in your situation.

just call @cruiseroutfit they have a ton of parts not listed. Cruiser outfitters = cruiserteq.
Is your voltage regulator internal or external? Either way a call to them would be best in your situation.
Hey thanks, I called cruiser outfitters but they unfortunately don't have the ability to order that particular alternator (27060-17060) which as far as I can tell must have an internal volt regulator. I was surprised too as they've been able to get me what I needed on every other occasion. Right now I'm considering copying another guy's mod where he swapped that same alternator (30 amp) for a 60amp if I can't find a replacement at a good price.

America must be is a really bad spot if you can't find a starter-alternator shop in Cincinnati.
I had to drive 90 minutes here in Virginia to get to one.

Hey thanks, I called cruiser outfitters but they unfortunately don't have the ability to order that particular alternator (27060-17060) which as far as I can tell must have an internal volt regulator. I was surprised too as they've been able to get me what I needed on every other occasion. Right now I'm considering copying another guy's mod where he swapped that same alternator (30 amp) for a 60amp if I can't find a replacement at a good price.

If you can't find a shop like @jblueridge said to repair it, give Rob at Over view of Odd Iron Off Road and offerings for Land Cruisers and off road vehicles - https://www.oddironoffroad.com/ a call. I seem to remember @Gun Runner 5 having a Rob put a fancy alternator on his HZJ77.

Tell me about this fancy-fangled alternator. I'm about to replace mine. It's growly inside.
I’m not sure the phrase “fancy” is appropriate but I’m running a high output Terrain Tamer alternator. 😊

I’m not sure the phrase “fancy” is appropriate but I’m running a high output Terrain Tamer alternator. 😊
Sounds fancy to me.

Did it bolt right in to your 1HZ or did it need a bracket?

Also, is it longer than the original stock alternator? I ask because my intercooler pipe almost touches the back of the current alternator.

Sounds fancy to me.

If I remember correctly (at my age I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast) it was a direct bolt on. 😊

Some of them do need a bracket. Maybe its the 80 or 105 series. Or maybe there is a larger aftermarket alternator that needs the bracket. Like Gunrunner, aging memory is a curse. Whatever it is, the bracket is supplied with the alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom