Hunting 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Due to finacial constraints I'm limiting the search to 98-00.

What are the differences in model years?

What I've found so far are the loss of locking dif in 2000 replaced by an Active Traction Control.

I'm hoping CruiserDan might jump in here with his always timely info. Thanks for any help.

I'd get another 80, just stay away from the 91-92. My 97 has plenty of power for my needs, lockers (if you can find one). Springs, solid axle...easy to lift. Cheaper then a 100 series. Just a thought. The 10k more you will spend on a 100 isn't worth it to me (yet).

my 2 cents

I would love to get a later model for my DD and keep my lil monster 3FE 91 for wheeling.

Get what you love man!

I prefer the 80 series.

I have not formed a fully rounded opinion of the 100 series. I can't get past the slab side styling and the IFS. (An old dog, no doubt.)

D-

The reasons I'm looking closely at the 100 series is the power difference and braking ability. Those two reasons combined with other research from vehicle review web sites.

One that was interesting was "The redesigned chassis and suspension resulted in a 50 percent increase in structural rgidity." (Edmunds.com) Which would show up in towing stability.

C-Dan,
I'm not entirely sold on the looks either. One thing I do like is the lack of attached fender flares. Those things are nothing but a headache and a long-term maintanaince problem.

I've attached the photos of the rebuild to my 92 to the "Fond Farwell" thread for anyone interested.

If you're willing to deal over the internet, try any of the Lexus dealerships in Dallas. Those folks have sold more LX 450 and now 470 models than anybody in the country, and the 98 and 99 models are starting to come back in for trade-ins.
It's amazing to me that I see at least one or two LCs or LX models at every traffic light in North Dallas. This is SUV country -- I've been told that half of all new Suburbans are sold in Texas.
No salt, no rust (unless you get down to Houston or the gulf coast), good quality service usually at better-then required maintainance intervals.

LT
8)

I think you are right for looking at a 100 as a daily driver FWIW. I picked up my 99 LX for around 24 when it was all said and done. Asthetically it is in great shape, maintenance records well documented. If you get one that is closing in on 80k miles start thinking timing belt replacement (~$400). I bought mine at 78k and used that as a tool to knock some more bucks off of the price.

As far as towing, these things pull a good bit without flinching. I've got the same engine in my Tundra and it does fantastic. Anything with alot of weight should have some surge, electric or inertial braking with it anyhow; that being said I haven't had much experience towing with the LX (it's new to me) but my Tundra brakes just find under a load.

Even most of the 100's in Houston are ok as I feel like I looked at everyone near me (took a while). I didn't venture too close to the coast though :)

-Tad

Tabraha,

Did you find discriminating features between the 98 or 99 (basically the same right?) and a 2000?

Supposedly the '99 LX received a redesigned roof rack, floor mats became standard (that seems odd to not be std for that much money), and the Nakamichi sound system w/ 6-disc in-dash changer became available as an option. The Nak' sound is really nice by the way.

The '00 has the VSC and BrakeAssist on it. Also, the moonroof and lit running boards became standard. Wood steering wheel and shift knob became options as well.

The '98-'99 range seemed to blend a very comfy on-road ride with the ability to add lockers down the road if I ever decided they were necessary without having to worry about it's affects on a computer contolled traction program. I'd love to get lockers for it once I save up enough money to start tinkering with the truck but right now my sportscar gets the lion's share of my fun money. I'll probably need to get stuck a couple of times before I can justify lockers. :D As of now I haven't even had the truck long enough to get it dirty ::)

Ghost -
The 1998 was the first year of the UZJ100, and I generally prefer to buy the second year or later because there just had to be some bugs in version 1.0 :whoops:
However, the 98 was also the last year you could get a factory locker on the rear axle. The 99 has only the center diff lock, but it did pick up independent rear a/c as a very desirable option in Texas.
(Union General Sherman once said, "If I owned Texas and I owned hell, I'd live in hell and rent out Texas!" He passed through during the spring and summer of 1864, I believe.)
From 99 to now, there have been incremental changes to the 470 and cruiser, generally available as standard on the 470 and options on the cruiser in the first year, followed by standard on both vehicles the following year. You can get details at Edmunds or any of the automotive web sites.

Good Hunting!

LT

8)

Rear Locker was an option in '99. I would say get a '99 with rear ac and rear locker. I have neither on my '99 however 2 of my friends have '99's with both and they options do not change the price that much.

The '99 LC with rear ac and rear locker will be choice of vehicle for sometime, that way I can get a great truck at a cheap price and just move my accessories over. They are selling in the mid to low 20's in NC.

Don't be so quick to admire the frame stiffness over an 80, it has to be because of the IFS. Alot of stress on the frame rails torsionally verses a live axle setup. The Tundra will also out tow a LC just because of the weight and the drive train. My father has a Tundra and tows a 5th wheel and loves it over his previous F150.

UZJ100 is correct, the rear locker was an option in 99, this is what I have. 63k, no problems yet. As for differences between 98 and 99 I dont really know of any other that the rear ac, which is great seeing how I am in Houston/Waco. Style is a personal judgement, but i like the looks of the 100 series. I do not like the bumpers...damn plastic. The 100 is amazing on road, a way better daily driver than an 80. I have only done mild offroading w/ my 100, so I havent gotten to fully test the ifs. The front is protected by skid plates, well plastic ones, but they work well if driving under control. The center diff has a small metal skid plate for protection. It feels very solid off road. I tend to be very conservitive in guessing what I can do, and I usually suprise myself when it does what I want it to do w/ ease. I know there are some guys here that can give a better description of a 100 off road. The rear locker is great...I was playing in a ditch, pretty much trying to get stuck w/ only center locked..and i did. Locked up the rear, and i was out.

-Matt

Has anyone had any experience with the Automatic Stability Control or the Traction Control System?

I think that showed up in 2000.

I thought I read somewhere that the 2000 also had a 5 speed trans compared to the 4 speed of 98 & 99.

Edmunds standard features lists the 2000 with a 4 speed though.
In addition to locking differential as standard...

The 5 speed auto came out in 2003.

Some people do not like traction control because the vehicle can feel "doggy" under hard acceleration. This is due to detected wheel slipage that triggers a retard in engine output. This is more noticable in Sequoias because they are part-time 4wd.

And I guess there isn't an on/off switch for that?

Nope. :whoops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom