Hunt For Low Compression (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d probably do a leak down test next. This can tell you if you have a ring problem, a head gasket problem, or a valve problem.

I am in Tucson AZ (2389 MSL), and I was hauling my Wife and I up to Sedona (4350 MSL) haha.

I was getting 110psi to 105psi for my compression numbers across the board.

I have not check my rings yet, I need to tear it down the engine a little further to see those but do not want to unless absolutely necessary.
My low mileage, original 60 can’t pull 50mph up 17 to Sedona. Just an FYI, I tuck in the right lane with the semi’s with my hazards on at 40-45mph.

my 210,000 mile 84 with 31" tires, 4 speed, and original gearing can usually hold about 50mph on Killington Pass in Vermont. I have managed to tow a trailer over the less steep side and maintain 45 mph. But I've never had to let off the throttle on the way up because I was exceeding the speed limit. Climbing passes on I70 in Colorado was 3rd gear, 40 mph in with the big trucks.

X3, leakdown test. My guess the valves/seats are worn, or the valves are adjusted too tight. Worse than that, rings weren't sized correctly.

This is all post-break in period, right? I wouldn't expect the compression numbers to be awesome until after the rings have been bedded.

@GLTHFJ60 , I was just about to suggest to check the valve lash. I was able to add 3 inches Hg on my vac gauge by adjusting my neglected valves. .008 intake, .016 exhaust.

Has the oil and filter been changed after the break in? if not it wouldn't hurt to do so.

326k with a known worn cylinder and a good tune. I Did 75 with my 4 speed and 33’s.

You need an immaculate tune up and a good gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom