Humming/vibration at speed when turning left (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Subject line practically says it all. When I'm above 25 mph and turning the steering wheel to the left, I get a humming/vibration out of the front end (sounds almost like tire noise, but I have very non-agressive tread). When truck is turning right, no noise. This happens when truck is in 2wd. The noise goes away when brakes are applied.

Bad bearing? Something else?

Also, when I turn left at slow speeds, I get a "bump" out of the suspension, almost like leaf springs slipping--I can feel it in the steering wheel and hear it as well. Could this be connected?

I'd guess the hum is a bad wheel bearing. It'd have to be realy trashed to cause a bump in the steering.

Jman said:
Subject line practically says it all. When I'm above 25 mph and turning the steering wheel to the left, I get a humming/vibration out of the front end (sounds almost like tire noise, but I have very non-agressive tread). When truck is turning right, no noise. This happens when truck is in 2wd. The noise goes away when brakes are applied.

Bad bearing? Something else?

Also, when I turn left at slow speeds, I get a "bump" out of the suspension, almost like leaf springs slipping--I can feel it in the steering wheel and hear it as well. Could this be connected?

you have a cruiser?

Had the same thing on another of my trucks this past week. The wheel bearing was loose. Get in there, and repack the bearing since you've already got it apart. Oh yeah, take a look at them too. Any blueing and you'll need to replace the bearings and races.

beaufort-fj60 said:
i have never seen a pic, just wondering.

You don't remember my previous avatar? :grinpimp:
Jman's-New-Mods.jpg

I think the hum has been covered: most likely wheel bearings. I've had them loosen up after a repack so it's not impossible.

On the clunk, that could be the drag link and tierod ends. Does it do this while the truck is sitting still (like set the parking brake, and with the motor running, turn the wheel back and forth)? Maybe get a helper to work the wheel while you look under the front for the source of the noise if you can reproduce it in a driveway. Could also be bad bushings, bad rod ends, leaf springs moving, loose u-bolts and sway bar end links.

Nick

I've had wheel bearings loosen up after a bit of driving, like 500 miles. On my FJ55 one side was super loose after about 100 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom