How to test stock LSD (Limited Slip Differential)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and searched..... Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Looking for the best way to test the functionality of the LSD in my '98 LX470. It's past 150K miles and I've heard that LSD's only have a service life of 30K-50K miles before they basically turn into open diffs. Right now I have no idea if mine is performing the way it should or how to test it.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Mine has 192K and still works.

Be sure you have fresh gear lube (with Additive for LS) in the diff.

Only way to get a definitive answer is to test under REAL conditions.

You will have to find a surface that will allow your rear tires to spin under power (preferably with a helper to watch) and then go for it.

Depending upon the surface/conditions.....you will be able to see the tire track(s) left behind. A 'helper' will be able to see if both tires spin and confirm.

You can dispense with any advice to jack up one wheel and turn this or that. That doesn't tell you diddly squat about the real condition of your LSD.

The LSD in Toyota's are not noted for particularly long life....despite being of robust build. So you are correct to test it.

Mine has 192K and still works.

Be sure you have fresh gear lube (with Additive for LS) in the diff.

Only way to get a definitive answer is to test under REAL conditions.

You will have to find a surface that will allow your rear tires to spin under power (preferably with a helper to watch) and then go for it.

Depending upon the surface/conditions.....you will be able to see the tire track(s) left behind. A 'helper' will be able to see if both tires spin and confirm.

You can dispense with any advice to jack up one wheel and turn this or that. That doesn't tell you diddly squat about the real condition of your LSD.

The LSD in Toyota's are not noted for particularly long life....despite being of robust build. So you are correct to test it.
Thank you! I got this truck in early January and changing the rear diff oil (using LSD additive) was one of the first things I did. The old oil didn't look too bad and there wasn't any notable amount of metal particles on the plug either.

I'll have to see if I can get the right conditions and a friend to help me test it.

Thank you! I got this truck in early January and changing the rear diff oil (using LSD additive) was one of the first things I did. The old oil didn't look too bad and there wasn't any notable amount of metal particles on the plug either.

I'll have to see if I can get the right conditions and a friend to help me test it.

Congratulations on finding your LX. They are great vehicles.

If you have already base lined your fluids, then you are good to go....there.

Be sure and check your heater Tee's if you haven't already.

When you test your vehicle, use low range....it will give you more torque and you need to test low range anyway. All the better if you have done the '7 pin mod', (leave the center diff unlocked for the test).

Some wet grass someplace, a loose gravel road...anything like that...is all you need. An incline would make it even easier.

Hope yours is still working....as mine is .

Flint.

Incline is a great test, with loose ground.

After I posted in your thread that mine worked well @ 140k last year, I looked for pictures from our trip but could not find any that showed the vehicle climbing tricky terrain. We mostly took pictures of the scenery and the kids :)

In a different thread....our member 'Hoser' provided some really great pics of the Toyota LSD.

Its a well built unit (strong) and the friction discs and steels look adequate to me. Not sure how long the coil spring holds up or if the unit can be 'shimmed' for renewed or greater performance. Doesn't seem as if there is much information about the units.

Which Limited Slip Diff in 98-99 LX470....?

I haven't found any source for individual parts (friction discs, etc), so I doubt there is any hope for rebuilding one.

Last edited:
Does the 2002 LX/LC have LSD differentials ???

Does the 2002 LX/LC have LSD differentials ???
No.

98-99 LX 470's (U.S. models) had LSD rear diffs. After that ATRAC.

98-99 Land Cruiser (U.S. models) had a locking rear diff option. After that ATRAC

My Wife inadvertently tested ours yesterday.

We have two entrances to our property, one of them we pretty much never use as it isn't paved, but the paved/main entrance was temporarily blocked because of a wreck on the FM road earlier in the day. Wife wanting to go visit her Mother for a bit decided to take the second driveway.

Anyway, our LX is a '99 model with 210K on it now. I already knew the L/S still worked on it...but it takes a pretty good amount of throttle to get it going. With straight-line acceleration the tire marks are usually even and begin right away. In a turn (like below), the inside tire usually breaks loose..then the LSD kicks in after some distance.

No doubt, the unit is not as strong as when new, but it does still work.

LS_works.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom