How to tell if air lockers are locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
So I got front and rear lockers installed but haven’t really used them yet (still breaking in the new 4.88s). I have have turned the switch on and can hear the air compressor but I don’t hear any clunk or click or anything telling me something happened in the diffs. I can hear the CDL and my elocker on my Taco makes a noise. Are ARB lockers really this quiet? I’m pretty sure my front locker locked by the feel in the steering wheel. Just thought I’d hear something when it locked.

The stuff happening inside an arb air locker is buried so far down inside the guts of the diff you are very unlikely to hear anything. Maybe whooshing air, the control solenoid activating.. but the guts of the diff, too much solid metal then air space then axle and diff housing between the fun stuff and the outside.

You should definitely feel the front locker during steering, and even the rear if the turn is tight enough. Go find some gravel to take tight turns in.. a major reason ARBs were so popular for so long is their pretty solid track record of engaging when asked… even if there may be other problems in the overall system.

Agree with @bloc. I have the eLockers but also can't hear them engage. I had to find some gravel and make some turns. When the rear is locked it will slip the inside wheel durning the turn and when the front is locked, you will feel the steering fighting back at you. Only way I know of to be sure. Just don't do it on pavement as the additional traction could bind things up (I'm sure you know that but someone else who finds this thread in the future may not).

… Just don't do it on pavement as the additional traction could bind things up (I'm sure you know that but someone else who finds this thread in the future may not).
Yeah, I’m probably overly aware and paranoid about this to the point where I’m ordering CV/axle parts to carry as onboard spare.

Yeah, I’m probably overly aware and paranoid about this to the point where I’m ordering CV/axle parts to carry as onboard spare.

I carry a spare CV, Grease and axle nut/socket as well. Many people think I am crazy for doing so.

Perhaps limited use of said lockers will serve you better, like only when you really need them as opposed to throwing the switch as soon as tires leave the pavement?

Theyre dead quiet and the design doesn't allow for a closed-loop enabling sensing element. Your only hints will be if both tires are pulling or if you feel a tire drag in a curve.

Perhaps limited use of said lockers will serve you better, like only when you really need them as opposed to throwing the switch as soon as tires leave the pavement?
For sure. I almost didn’t bother with the front locker as MTS or crawl with rear locker when I need a bit more will be pretty awesome. I don’t think I’ll really use the FL much and will probably always be the last switch I flip.

Just wait: it will scale obstacles you can barely imagine when triple locked.

I don’t think I’ll really use the FL much and will probably always be the last switch I flip.

I remember those days. The escalation is real. Fun times.

My ARB air lockers are completely quiet. It is very noticeable when one or both are locked. And subsequently when you unlock them. I used ARB air lockers on a previous build as well. I love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom