How to stop the doors locking when shifting into "Drive"? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, the title of this thread about says it all, I want to stop my 80 from locking the doors automatically when I shift into drive. If I want to be locked in my vehicle, I can lock the doors myself thank you very much Mr. T. I've searched the threads, but anytime I do all I get is locker issue threads...Anyone know what to do about this?

My 92 doesnt..:D

I agree, it is annoying. I wouldn't mind disabling this "feature"

MySherpa: My 96 US spec FZJ-80 doesn't do that either. IIRC with the engine running and a door open or ajar all the locks will unlock if you attempt to lock a door, but never had them lock automatically when shifting into D. Does your truck have an alarm system?

At one point it had a factory alarm, It still has the little light-whatever-it-is thing on the dash, but I think a PO must have gotten rid of it because I don't see any alarm box under the drivers side seat where I'm told it should be.

Surely someone has a wiring diagram for that year truck. It's probably no more involved then removing a wire to the central locking ecu, much like the pin7 mod.

From this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/539196-doors-lock-start-up-need-code-disable.html

Automatic Door Locking / Unlocking Function:

The factory setting for the automatic door locking and unlocking function is on.

1: Sit in the drivers seat with the drivers door open.

2: Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to on (not acc) 5 times (on-lock, on-lock, on-lock, on-lock, on) within a 10 second period. The status monitors LED turns on, and the piezo chirper sounds once.
***You must perform the next steps within 30 seconds***
Select the operating mode:

Automatic door locking and unlocking on: Close the drivers door. Turn the ignition switch to the lock position. The piezo chirper sounds once, and the exterior lights flash once.

Automatic door locking and unlocking off: Close the drivers door once, then open and close it one more time. Turn the ignition switch to the lock position. The piezo chirper sounds twice, and the exterior lights flash twice.

If you do not turn the ignition key to lock, or exceed 30 seconds during the programming steps, the status monitor's LED will turn off and the previous operation mode will remain.

Great info! My 96 does this and its pretty dang annoying. I am going to try this out.

It says an LED turns on, did our trucks come from the factory with any LEDs, or is it refering to the port installed alarm system that many trucks have??

MYSHERPA said:
Awesome, can't wait to give this a try! Kinda reminds me of Up Down Left Right B A Start :)

Contra ftw

From this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/539196-doors-lock-start-up-need-code-disable.html

Automatic Door Locking / Unlocking Function:

The factory setting for the automatic door locking and unlocking function is on.

1: Sit in the drivers seat with the drivers door open.

2: Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to on (not acc) 5 times (on-lock, on-lock, on-lock, on-lock, on) within a 10 second period. The status monitors LED turns on, and the piezo chirper sounds once.
***You must perform the next steps within 30 seconds***
Select the operating mode:

Automatic door locking and unlocking on: Close the drivers door. Turn the ignition switch to the lock position. The piezo chirper sounds once, and the exterior lights flash once.

Automatic door locking and unlocking off: Close the drivers door once, then open and close it one more time. Turn the ignition switch to the lock position. The piezo chirper sounds twice, and the exterior lights flash twice.

If you do not turn the ignition key to lock, or exceed 30 seconds during the programming steps, the status monitor's LED will turn off and the previous operation mode will remain.

SWEET IT WORKED!!! just like the description above, except I didn't get the chirps. The LED is referring to the red alarm light on the dash, at least that's what lit up for me anyway. Thanks a ton! It's so nice to have this "feature" disabled.

The whole manual for the system (RS3000) can be found on the Sleeoffroad.com site.

This site is bloody brilliant! Worked like a charm!!!!!

No more fiddling to get out and check the trail

Now tap you heels together and make a wish and you'll get a supercharger.

Last edited:
I have a 93 and mine locks when put in drive :meh:

same here - although it doesn't do it immediately when shifting, but, like, a minute later :rolleyes:

The whole manual for the system (RS3000) can be found on the Sleeoffroad.com site.

not all door locking systems are tied into an RS3000 - just sayin'

Odd I have a 97 40th anniversary edition and it don't do any of this auto lock stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom