How to: oil change for the non-purists to complain about (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
It was finally time to do my engine oil change after postponing it for a few weeks.

Step 1: 14mm socket to remove the drain plug.
Step 2: Make sure you have waste oil containment unit.
Step 3: Remove drain plug and let all oil drain out.
Step 4: Call Blackstone 2 weeks ago to get a couple of the oil sample containers.
Step 5: Collect some oil in the plastic container.
Step 6: Fill out paperwork and ship to Blackstone via USPS (if they bitch, tell them to shut up).

Pro tip- let engine warm up a little to get the oil to flow better. Not hot, just warm.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Step 7: New drain valve by Fumoto. I went with the F103S only because I wanted a shorter nipple.
Step 8: Admire your new drain plug/valve. See it open and close using the valve.
Step 9: Attach the spring clip onto the lever to keep it from accidentally popping open.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Step 10: screw in your replacement Fumoto drain plug/valve.
Step 11: wait for people to complain about how "low" it hangs.
Step 12: laugh and giggle because you've been hearing that your whole life and it never gets tired.
Step 13: Take photos to show your friends that although it hangs, because of your lift and everything else in the way, there is very little chance of damage.
Step 14: Giggle a little more.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Step 15: Assuming the last person that did your oil change isn't a complete douché bag, you should be able to just lay on your back, reach up and twist off the oil filter.
Step 16: Since there is going to be about 1/2 cup of residual oil leaking out, prepare to position the oil filter in such a way to catch the drippings.
Step 17: Clean off the axle, engine side and oil filter mounting area and be sure its clean.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Special thanks to KERNAL for figuring this one out: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/installation-of-90-degree-oil-filter-adapter-on-1fzfe.654184/

Step 18: Follow KERNAL's instructions and deburr some of the edges on the adapter. Its Ford quality so you have to treat like it a piece of s*** and its out to kill you.
Step 19: If you have long arms then this part is cake. Just oil up the o-rings and install onto the adapter and then reach up and start threading the adapter onto the oil filter threads on the side of the block.

Pro tip- because I needed the room AND I had already moved my breathers up into the engine bay, I didn't need the stock breather where it was.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Step 20: Using a 19mm socket, tighten down the adapter BUT do it with the oil filter loosely in place so that you are in between the motor mount and the power steering pump. You don't want to be touching either.
Step 21: Since the oil filter is now in a bottom up configuration, you don't want to start the truck dry, so fill up the filter with oil (get some on the o-ring) and screw into place. Hand tighten only you gorilla!
Step 22: run your fingers around the filter, you should have even space all around.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Now go ahead and add in 7.2 US Quarts of your lube of choice. I of course went with Diesel Mobile 1 and continued using the Toyota small oil filters made in Japan that are now unobtainium. Close the oil cap and start her up. Let the truck warm up to operating temp and check for leaks. None? You kick ass!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I love Fumoto valves. Although the LC is the only vehicle I don't have one on yet.

I love Fumoto valves. Although the LC is the only vehicle I don't have one on yet.

My Ron Davis Radiator gets here on Wed. There will be a Fumoto as the drain petcock as well. Since its more protected, I went with the longer nipple. I'm trying to eliminate my excuses for not doing this stuff more often and by myself.

That valve hangs real low. :flipoff2: but seriously, thanks for making anything I do look like a billy rig of a job and reminding me that I am the douche bag that put the last filter on. Now I'm off to source all of this stuff. Are you running magnetic drain and fill plugs? I saw new plugs maybe in picture 24 or something... Later

You mean for the diffs? Yeah I am running Toyota's hex plugs for the diffs and the transfer new. There are different part numbers for the fill plug and magnetic drain plug. Its in another thread somewhere recently. Highly recommend. All my plugs came off easily but not everyone is so lucky.

Wow...what a write-up. I didn't realize an oil change was a 4 banana job...:flipoff2:

Is the engine oil valve so you can pull samples more easily, or just another OCD exposed;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom