How to measure steering angle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does someone have a convenient way to measure steering angle when setting the steering stops?
I did it manually by coming of the knuckle face and marking a line onto some cardboard, then turning the wheel and marking another line. A protractor was used to measure the angular difference. I was hoping to use one of the electronic angle finder devices but haven’t found one that measures in the horizontal plane.

I'm not sure if this will work due to the proximity of all the steel but may be worth a try. If you don't already have one on your cell phone, download a compass app. Jack your front end off the ground or you'll need someone behind the steering wheel. Pick a straight edge on the side of your rig, to place the cell phone on, so you know which direction it is facing. Once you know that you should be able to hold it against the locking hub and move your tire left and right. Note the direction it is indicating when you reach the stops and you can calculate the angle using the angle the vehicle is facing and the direction the tire is facing.

Let us know how it works.

Actually, I already tried that. I straightened the wheels and put my phone against the lockout for a reading then turned the wheels and took a reading. When I straightened the wheels and went back to see if I was at the original reading it was off by several degrees. I chased my tail for a bit before realizing the steel was causing the compass to vary whenever I put it against the hub. I might try it again by attaching it to the hub and just leaving it in place to see if it will repeat. I first tried just setting it on top of the tire but the tire rotates backwards as it turns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom