How to make my truck not start unless the clutch pedal is pressed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an '85 60 that is has the stock 2F and an H55. What do I need to do to make it not start unless I have the clutch pedal engaged? That thing I'll jump several feet if I forget and turn the key with it in gear. I don't have much trouble remebering to press the clutch before I crank it, but........my wife or kids are going to vault it into a wall or another vehicl if I don't install some kind of lock out. Thanks

Don't leave the keys in the truck.

It is no big deal.
The clutch pedal/engine non-start idea started showing up in Toyota cars for morons sometime in the early 80's. Millions of cars before then didn't have this uber-annoying feature PITA.

One reason why you don't want it (and I am sure there are plenty more):
If the engine can't start-up due to lack of fuel/spark, or whatever, you can put the transfer case in 4-Lo and first gear and crank the car forward or backwards with just the starter. That can be a priceless feature in certain circumstances... and could actually save a life or your car.

Place a postit note at center of steering wheel, reminding you to depress clutch pedal.

I'm confused, do you want it to start without clutch depressed (normal) or start with the clutch depressed?

If you want it to start only with the clutch suppressed why not just use a separate toggle switch that cuts the ignition?

If for whatever reason it currently doesn't start unless the clutch is depressed, find the micro switch or leaf switch that is mounted from the pedal like the brake switch and take the switch out and twist the wires together.

There is nothing electrical connected to the act of depressing the clutch pedal as far as I know so you need to rig up a switch, like the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Wire it to complete the start wire going to the key switch. When the pedal is pushed the switch is closed and the truck will crank.
I have never looked at doing this so I'm not sure how much fabrication will be needed, but there will be some.

I do have a kill switch toggle to help keep it from being taken the few times I have to park it in places I am worried about. I will just use it every time and that should do it. Thanks for the responses. Most folks are not used to older vehicles or sticks like we are and the rest of the family don't drive the rig enough to be in the habit of not screwing up by jumping in and turning the key.

Last edited:
Or you could wire up to the brake pedal switch in a way that would require the brake to be pressed to start... easier to hook up since the switch is already there. It will not really do what you want but it will make the driver take some notice of what they are doing more than just key>start...

Hope you find a way to do this.
A friend of mine tried starting my 60 from the passenger seat because she wanted the heat on. Truck jumped forward, kicking me off the tailgate (was changing out of snowboard boots). How f'ing stupid can a person be?
I screamed at her and reminded her that you never, ever touch the ignition unless you are in the driver's seat.

Go to the junk yard and pull the peddle switch and overide switch from a 4R or mini-truck. Get all the wiring that goes with that circuit.

You may get lucky and it will come with the same connectors as on your 60. Checking a wiring schematic should show you how it hooks up.

So you want to stop the cranking unless you have the pedal depressed?

That should be pretty easy then but you'll need a wiring diagram showing where and how the starter operates. Just like woyotavich said get a scrapped brake pedal switch and mount it to the clutch assembly then find the starter motor relay and cut that switch into the coil of that relay.
Job done.

'89-'93 Nissan 240sx had a clutch safety switch. They broke a lot on the 240. My brothers both had to tape a penny over them. Clutch pedal had to be depressed all the way to be able to crank the engine. Pretty sure Fifth Generation Camaro's are the same way. I think it's a good idea if you have others driving the truck that are not familiar with it.

Although I would go with the sticky note route. "Engage Clutch, Confirm Neutral" lol

I hate those things. As mentioned above, you can crank your way out of danger sometimes if you can crank with the clutch released.

But yeah, just find a junkyard car with something like that, and attach it like a brake light switch.

If you really really really gotta have it, I suggest you rig it so that it'll crank if the pedal's depressed just a little-
then, if you really need to move it on the starter, you can rest your foot on the clutch
a little, and crank to safety.
The cruise control dropout switch on the Mitsubishishi works like that- just tap it gently, and it drops the cruise out.
Kinda nice, if you don't want to light the brake lights...

hth

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom