How to install DEPO clear corner lights onto LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know the title sounds stupid. How hard is it to install clear corner lights after all? And why am I making a dedicated thread about something so meaningless?

A little background:
I bought my 98 LX back in February of this year, and since then, i've been slowly working on small issues, lots of maintenance, and a few key upgrades. Something I've been wanting to do is to change out the front USDM/Lexus amber corner lights to the clear versions. But with the OEM/JDM Toyota/Cygnus corner lights at around $200, I couldn't justify spending that much on something so meaningless when I could use that money towards something more useful like a roof rack or quality sliders.

I started looking at the eBay variations around the $50 mark, shipped. They look cool, and the price point was more doable, but after a quick search, the general consensus reveals that the fitment was not the best, and worse, the housings would get cloudy or start turning yellow.

I also saw that DEPO made the clear corners too. Although they aren't Chinese made (they're Taiwanese), they're cheap, and from my experience with various cars and parts, DEPO makes acceptable fitting parts, so why not? Well, they're not as abundant as you would think. After multiple searches on eBay, I found that the cheapest set of DEPO corners would ship from Lithuania. It would be only $58 shipped, but the con was that it would take 3-4 weeks to get as they're not stateside, and was the cheapest shipping option.
Here is the exact ones I bought

IMG_1723.JPG

When my DEPO lights finally arrived, I figured it was just a matter of minutes to swap housings and bulbs, right? Nope. Well. Sort of. The housings themselves do install easy, but the issue was the light bulb socket.
Here is the back side of the OEM Lexus LX470 corner light housing:
IMG_1730.JPG

And here is the back of the DEPO light
IMG_1731.JPG

Side by side:
IMG_1729.JPG

So as you can see, the light bulb socket sizes are completely different. Why does this matter? Well for one, the OEM Lexus bulb socket connectors just fall right through with no way of holding it in place, and for two, this would be a real issue once moisture is present, as there is no way to seal the lights.

So after doing some combing through on MUD, I found a thread that showed what a Lexus LX470 would need to make it work. And then, afterwards, I searched for any threads explaining how to make it work, but none showed up. I felt confident enough for any types of rewiring involved, so here we are.

Parts needed:
(2x) 90075-60006 Light Socket
(2x) 90980-11019 Housing Connector
(2x) 7057 Amber light bulb

I bought the OEM Toyota parts from McGeorge Toyota, but it may vary for everyone based on where they live. But here are the direct links I used.
Housing Connector $5.52 each
Light Socket $7.56 each

Assuming you buy some regular 7057 amber light bulbs, all said and done, it should cost under $100 for both corner lights.

Tools needed:
Regular ass philips head screwdriver
Small straight pick

Optional tools:
Plastic non marring interior trim removal kit

Total time should be about 20 minutes, but if you know what you're doing, it could take as little as 5 minutes.

1. Pop the hood
2. Locate the one philips head screw near the front of the fender, next to the headlights.
IMG_1725.JPG

3. Remove this screw, and do not throw away, you will reuse the same screw at the end of the installation of the new DEPO light

Last edited:
4. Using a little pressure with your hands, you will press the side of the large part of the corner light housing inwards (towards the center of the truck) and at the same time, slide the corner light forward (towards the front)
IMG_1726.jpg

If it's not budging, you can use something like a plastic interior removal tool to wedge between the fender and light housing to help you push it towards the front so it can slide out easier.
5. You may have to twist the light around a bit to make the top plastic tab where the screw was to slide out without damage.
6. Undo the connector that connects to the light socket by pressing in the grey plastic tab while pulling it away.
IMG_1727.JPG

7. Isolate the connector and use your pick to remove the white plastic part from the inside of the connector.
IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

Last edited:
8. Here's the tricky part. (or at least tricky for me to explain) Look straight into connector and locate the two holes where the metal contacts reside. If you are looking at it in the orientation i'm holding it in the picture, you'll see tiny plastic tabs that are right above where the metal contacts are.
IMG_1753.jpg

9. Using your pick, you will need to PULL away this tab which holds the metal contact in place. At the same time, you can either gently pull the back of the wire or you can wedge the pick in a way that pulls the plastic tab away at the same time pushes down on the exposed metal section of the connector. Repeat for both wires
IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1738.JPG

10. Grab your new housing connector (the white plastic connector 90980-11019), and face the back of the connector towards you. Notice the orientation of the holes. Guide each metal pin connector into each hole, noting the orientation of the pin connectors to match the plastic connector. If done correctly, you will feel and hear a solid "CLICK". Double check it's in place.
IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

11. Looking at the other side of the connector now, you'll see a rectangular face that can now be pushed back into the connector to lock everything into place. Again, you'll hear a solid "CLICK".
IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_1744.JPG

12. Put your 7057 bulb into the new light sockets (the grey plastic sockets 90075-60006) by twisting and locking into place.
13. Insert the new socket into the DEPO corner light, twist to lock into place.
IMG_1732.JPG

14. Connect the new white plastic connector to the new grey plastic socket.
IMG_1746.JPG

15. Turn on your parking lights to test that the lights come on
16. Slide the DEPO light back into the fender, taking care to tuck the wires back in, and avoid breaking the top plastic tab where the old screw goes into.
IMG_1747.JPG

17. Make sure there are no gaps anywhere, and then install the original screw back into the top plastic tab located near the fender and next to the top of the headlights.
18. Repeat for the other side

That's it! Next up will be installing neon underglow lights, Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mudflaps and a footprint gas pedal!
Although this is a write up for a DEPO light to an early model (1998) LX470, I am pretty sure it works on the JDM OEM Toyota corners, but I have no idea what needs to happen on a Land Cruiser or even possibly a late model version as I know some things have changed.
Hope this at least helps out ONE person out there in the future!

Awesome write up! I have been meaning to do this ever since I trashed the right fender.
Thank you!

Do you have a photo of the bulb you used? I can’t find a 7057 bulb anywhere. There’s 7507 which is a 21w bulb that’s supposed to be used only for signal lights. It’ll be too bright for parking lights.

When I installed Depo lights on mine, I changed the socket to 1157 sockets. That way I can use an 1157 dual filament bulb and have proper brightness parking lights.

Great write-up!

Does anyone know what to do if the Depo corner light keeps popping out of its place? (LC)

I love seeing a detailed write-up without any hacks and professional looking results. I did the same a while ago, but I also converted mine to turn signals.

View attachment 2091330
Talk about one-upmanship! :rofl:

Any chance you could share which wire went where and the plug/socket part numbers?

Talk about one-upmanship! :rofl:

Any chance you could share which wire went where and the plug/socket part numbers?
Definitely not one-upmanship here, lol! I didn't carefully de-pin the existing wires or anything like that. I just cut the factory wires and spliced on Toyota repair terminals to the new connector housing. I also switched to LED bulbs while I was in there. Here's my parts list:

• LED BULB ELECTRONIC FLASHER, CF18-08 (AMAZON) $11.29
  • (2) TOYOTA HOUSING CONNECTOR, 90980-11020 (LIBERTY TOYOTA) $10.00 EA.
  • (6) TOYOTA WIRE REPAIR TERMINALS, 82998-12440 (LIBERTY TOYOTA) $3.33 EA.
  • (2) 7507 LED BULB, AMBER, BAU15S-A18-T (SUPER BRIGHT LEDS) $6.95 EA.
  • (2) DEPO LAND CRUISER CORNER LAMP HOUSING (RANMA21) $89.00 PR.
  • (2) OEM TURN SIGNAL LAMP SOCKET, 90075-99106 (LIBERTY TOYOTA) $14.00 PR
Wiring is as follows (to the best of my memory)

Pin 1: Marker Positive (Green)
Pin 2: Marker Negative (White/ Black)
Pin 3: Indicator Positive (Green/ Black)

Hope that helps.

Do you have a photo of the bulb you used? I can’t find a 7057 bulb anywhere. There’s 7507 which is a 21w bulb that’s supposed to be used only for signal lights. It’ll be too bright for parking lights.

When I installed Depo lights on mine, I changed the socket to 1157 sockets. That way I can use an 1157 dual filament bulb and have proper brightness parking lights.
That is an excellent comment
So according to that thread I mentioned in my first post, the TOYOTA bulb part number is 90981-15009, which is an amber bulb you can get on Amazon for about $7. The OP mentioned that it is a 7057 bulb which looks just like that OEM Toyota version. As you said, a 7057 bulb is indeed 21W and is intended to be used as a turn signal and less a parking light. A 1157a bulb uses the same base (will fit the same), but is dual filament and only uses 8.3W. I think it should work just fine either way, but for simplicity’s sake I said 7057.
I went to an AutoZone near my house and actually compared all of the bulbs to see what would work.
Here are the 7057 and 1157a bulbs next to each other.
F4697F04-0BE6-41DA-9E6A-86F3B4BA3C99.jpeg

I myself am waiting for an 1157a LED bulb to show up today from amazon and will see how that works and update accordingly

Great write-up!

Does anyone know what to do if the Depo corner light keeps popping out of its place? (LC)
I would imagine if it’s popping out, some of the tabs that the light housing uses to keep it flush with the fender are broken? They should be located on the backside along the leading edge of the part that meets the fender.

Definitely not one-upmanship here, lol! I didn't carefully de-pin the existing wires or anything like that. I just cut the factory wires and spliced on Toyota repair terminals to the new connector housing. I also switched to LED bulbs while I was in there. Here's my parts list:

• LED BULB ELECTRONIC FLASHER, CF18-08 (AMAZON) $11.29
  • (2) TOYOTA HOUSING CONNECTOR, 90980-11020 (LIBERTY TOYOTA) $10.00 EA.
  • (6) TOYOTA WIRE REPAIR TERMINALS, 82998-12440 (LIBERTY TOYOTA) $3.33 EA.
  • (2) 7507 LED BULB, AMBER, BAU15S-A18-T (SUPER BRIGHT LEDS) $6.95 EA.
  • (2) DEPO LAND CRUISER CORNER LAMP HOUSING (RANMA21) $89.00 PR.
  • (2) OEM TURN SIGNAL LAMP SOCKET, 90075-99106 (LIBERTY TOYOTA) $14.00 PR
Wiring is as follows (to the best of my memory)

Pin 1: Marker Positive (Green)
Pin 2: Marker Negative (White/ Black)
Pin 3: Indicator Positive (Green/ Black)

Hope that helps.
That’s super cool, adding some function, I still don’t understand why the USA versions never added a side marker on the fenders to help let people driving next to you know you’re changing lanes.

Reactions: BEG
That’s super cool, adding some function, I still don’t understand why the USA versions never added a side marker on the fenders to help let people driving next to you know you’re changing lanes.
I also like the idea and have a set of markers in my eBay wishlist for whenever I decide to take on the project.

To those who do not wish to re-pin and change the bulb, the Chinese ebay version has the smaller hole cutout for the LX470. The quality however is worse than Depo which is already lower in quality compared to the OEM Koito lamps. The Depo ones fit mine really well, it stays clipped and the fit is good. I haven’t tried the Chinese one.

Left: OEM Koito
Middle: Depo
Right: Chinese lamp from ebay

BAFC5D71-2304-4FA7-9C29-D2212C303003.jpeg
8CEACDFB-7138-4230-B203-0C6FFEF30087.jpeg
39AF1485-7247-42F6-A7B0-E1D74FB5B8BA.jpeg
B172384B-0F7D-402E-972D-7A9ABFB4BBA8.jpeg
8ED82857-6B88-4472-85B0-A1BF0F743938.jpeg

To those who do not wish to re-pin and change the bulb, the Chinese ebay version has the smaller hole cutout for the LX470. The quality however is worse than Depo which is already lower in quality compared to the OEM Koito lamps. The Depo ones fit mine really well, it stays clipped and the fit is good. I haven’t tried the Chinese one.

Left: OEM Koito
Middle: Depo
Right: Chinese lamp from ebay

View attachment 2092072View attachment 2092073View attachment 2092074View attachment 2092075View attachment 2092076
Can confirm the chinese ones have the smaller holes that match the LX470 socket. They are poorly made tho and I had a really hard time to get it to sit right. Mostly waste of money.

I would imagine if it’s popping out, some of the tabs that the light housing uses to keep it flush with the fender are broken?
Also, the lower mounting tab is slightly different. The OE lamp has a more substantial "nub" to catch onto (vs. Depo).

IMG_1729.JPG

Can anyone point me in the direction of the OEM Koito lights? Apologies in advance if I should post somewhere else. New to the thread and the LC/LX community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom