How to identify FJ40 hardtop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope this is in the right place. I don't think I have posted on here but one time. I have been occasionally looking for a hard top for my 72 fj40 project and have found one 8 hours away but he doesn't know what year it is. Can I somehow identify the year from pictures? I've had this project for three years and its time to finish it up this summer.

I hope this is in the right place. I don't think I have posted on here but one time. I have been occasionally looking for a hard top for my 72 fj40 project and have found one 8 hours away but he doesn't know what year it is. Can I somehow identify the year from pictures? I've had this project for three years and its time to finish it up this summer.

Pictures would go a long way towards giving it the year range of a hard top.

The guy only has one picture for now and I'm having trouble finding it. If I do, how do I post a picture. I'm not good at computer stuff Lol

If you check out the SOR website, it looks like there are three variations on of the hard top.
The easiest way to determine which is which is probably looking at the window configuration on the sides.
1611249435833.png

Get the picture and put it on the desktop of your computer.
When you go to reply hit the "attach files" icon and select the picture. Then click "insert" then "full image" and "post reply"

Screenshot 2021-01-21 091843.jpg

The guy only has one picture for now and I'm having trouble finding it. If I do, how do I post a picture. I'm not good at computer stuff Lol

Guy only sent one picture and is eight hours away. No way would I even think about buying it at this point. If pictures show it's in the right year range for your 72 think I would find someone local to the top to take a look before driving that far. If your asking for help you probably do not know the 40 series that well and would want someone who does take a look before spending anything. A cheap top full of rust and Bondo is not a deal in the long run. By the time your done with all the time and money to repair could find a better one with less headaches.

He is going to send me as many pictures as I want. I just don't like hounding people on Facebook asking questions unless I know I'm serious. I know what to look for but as you said you don't really know until you see it in person. I don't know anyone in the are so if the pictures look good I will have to make a drive. I live in south Alabama and there doesn't seem to be anything around here. The top is in Lebanon TN.

You can go to the clubhouse section on this site and lookup groups in the Tennessee section. You can post there and youll probably find someone who will take a look at it for ya! It might cost ya beer or two.

that is a later, ambulance door hard top, the vent windows make it 1978?
and it looks like 1 of the vent windows is missing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom