How to get peak AC performance from your 2003+ 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So in the end do you feel there’s no advantage to the second aux fan? I have the same issue and came here to ask for details on your install and mounting it, but maybe it looks like I should examine my fan clutch instead?

Adding another supercharger to the cooling system is way more fun than fixing old worn out parts, but ultimately I’m after results....

So in the end do you feel there’s no advantage to the second aux fan? I have the same issue and came here to ask for details on your install and mounting it, but maybe it looks like I should examine my fan clutch instead?

Adding another supercharger to the cooling system is way more fun than fixing old worn out parts, but ultimately I’m after results....
Not who you addressed the question to, so wanted to get that out of the way.

That said, an auxiliary fan, by definition, can supplement and help move air over the condenser at low speed, or idling conditions, and therefore keep the A/C performing well under very hot conditions when vehicle is slow or stopped. But it cannot support on its own the necessary air flow, or make up for a lack of flow from the primary engine driven fan. As such, any symptoms related to cooling at low (or zero) vehicle speed, should start with engine fan clutch as the the first suspect.

That said, an auxiliary fan, by definition, can supplement and help move air over the condenser at low speed, or idling conditions, and therefore keep the A/C performing well under very hot conditions when vehicle is slow or stopped. But it cannot support on its own the necessary air flow, or make up for a lack of flow from the primary engine driven fan. As such, any symptoms related to cooling at low (or zero) vehicle speed, should start with engine fan clutch as the the first suspect.
I have this same issue in my 03. I will have the engine fan clutch looked at first. thanks guys.

Yes rite , Aux fan will just giv air flow. Try to find the main problem. In my LC after fitting second AUX the problem was same in heat of 51c when vehicle is idle / stationary compressor after few min will play cut off on.
just check your engine radiator Fan clutch.

i replaced the Fan clutch and using 2 AuX fan 1 connect with compressor factory and second With manual switch.

( im very bad in explaining🙂)

Last edited:
(Engine off) Move The fan by hand . The fan should not move easily.

Thanks for this I’ll check it too. I added the aux fan via @LandCruiserPhil to my ‘06. It seemed to help for a summer or two but now I’m not maintaining cool when stopped. I was considering adding a second aux fan. I also have a Scanguage II that I should get around to setting up. Not sure how much it’s affecting my engine cooling beyond just the ac right now.

Thanks for this I’ll check it too. I added the aux fan via @LandCruiserPhil to my ‘06. It seemed to help for a summer or two but now I’m not maintaining cool when stopped. I was considering adding a second aux fan. I also have a Scanguage II that I should get around to setting up. Not sure how much it’s affecting my engine cooling beyond just the ac right now.

Get your Scan gauge going and watch your water temps. I have a slight heat problem and it turned out my tstat was only opening 3/4 of the way.

(Engine off) Move The fan by hand . The fan should not move easily.

I just spun my main engine fan by hand (truck off), almost no resistance, turns freely. Is this what you mean? Symptom I’m noticing is loss of ac output when truck stops, even with auxiliary fan switched on. Time for a new fan clutch?

Well my mech said I was low in Freon so put a lb in with some dye. Blows ice cold now. Will check for leak w UV light

Decided to do the spin test on fan and ..... yep. It spins freely too when engine off.

Likely have a leak and need new clutch. Awesome.

@LandCruiserPhil You restocking the condenser fan kits for the 100 series? How do I get on the waitlist?

For anyone wondering about the usefulness and longevity of the LC AC fan kits, I’ve had mine installed in my 2003 LC for a few years now. I’ve gone through two blazing hot summers, and on my third summer now.

It’s still running as good as day one, and it helps the AC stay cool when stationary, even in 100° heat. Worth every penny, if you ask me. :)

I just spun my main engine fan by hand (truck off), almost no resistance, turns freely. Is this what you mean? Symptom I’m noticing is loss of ac output when truck stops, even with auxiliary fan switched on. Time for a new fan clutch?
Yes time for new fan clutch

Thanks for the reply. I ordered one today, apparently they’re in pretty limited supply in this country. Hopefully will come in end of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom