How to get peak AC performance from your 2003+ 100 series (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
As of 2003 Mr T deleted the electric condenser fan from our 100 series Land Cruiser. Along with the fan delete they changed the way the air ducts into the radiator. The fan delete and re- ducting works great at speed but AC performance suffers when stopped or setting in heavy traffic. Recently I had my AC go hot on a 113° day Click HERE for the story.

Some interest was shown on creating a bolt in set up for adding back in the electric condenser fan. I put together a kit with the needed parts to bolt in a factory or factory replacement electric fan in a 2003 - 2007 LC or LX470.

Electric Fan Kit - 100 Series - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

Aftermarket fan install on a 2006 LX470 (horns remove for better picture)

IMG_2852.JPG

Needed bracket installed - no drilling required, encapsulated nut welded on back of bracket for ease of installation.

IMG_2849.JPG

Whats in the kit

IMG_2844.JPG

If you have the needed tools the kit is not a big deal to build yourself. If you dont this kit makes for a 1:banana:install for the even the mechanically challenged.

Last edited:
That is some interesting information about the Condenser Fan delete as the AC in my 1999 has to be far and away the best of any vehicle I have ever owned. While it is slightly less effective at stop and go, it is still a bloody ice box in there.

If I owned a 2003+, I would be all over that.

Definite interest!

This is great. Please share more.

What do you plug this into? is it running 100% of the time?

Definite interest!

This is great. Please share more.

What do you plug this into? is it running 100% of the time?

I did the upgrade initially for waiting at the border crossing. My switching was only going to be needed a couple times a year. I later (see link in post above) discovered I need it more now that the summer is full blown. I will be upgrading my switching.

Old switching:D

img_2792-jpg.1117642

I'm in for a kit. Definite.

Can you provide a link/part number for the non-OEM fan you used? I can handle the wiring.

Should have a 1/2 dozen mounting kits available by the end of the week. Post up interest in this thread to be on the short list.

Depo makes an aftermarket replace, the least expensive I found. Mine burnt up during testing not a good choice. I have another alternative coming at a reasonable cost that carries a 10year warranty. Our daily temps are now in the 110°+ range some hard testing will follow with the new fan.

I'm in as well. Looks like I may need this for the next several years

Put me in for one.

I'm in for sure.

Are you guys planning on a dash mount switch or tapping into a circuit that's hot when AC is on?

I'm in for sure.

Are you guys planning on a dash mount switch or tapping into a circuit that's hot when AC is on?

The factory and the aftermarket fans only pull 5amps. At 5amp no relay is needed unless you use AC to turn on the aux fan. For me I only see it as a needed basis because 90% of the time the aux fan is not needed even here in AZ. Im using a button switch rated at 25amps from Dorman and installing in the removable blank plate for the magic dial thus leaving no scares to my LX dash. Be careful buying Chinese illuminated button switches, many claim LED lights and are not creating too much heat leading to switch failure.

IMG_2896.JPG

^Thanks.
Keep us posted on availability, and let us know when you found an aftermarket fan you're pleased with.

Update - It looks like with the help of my great parts guy at Camelback Toyota we found the factory lower fan bushing used on another model Toyota that is the same as the one not available for the LC/LX fan.:rolleyes:

Kits are almost 100% but I want to see the new bushings I ordered before I post up the offer.

I'm semi interested (Hey, I'm reading this thread aren't I) . If I do it, I will simply tap a circuit and add a simple little thermo switch strapped to the Hot Gas or liquid refrigerant line. to activate the fan.
Why do something manually when you can set it and forget it?
Switches like this are available easily for anywhere from about $15 to over $100 for the rich geeks that insist on LEDs and programmable dynamic PID loops.

YMMV and you get to pick your own solution.
Dane

So the Depo aux fan failed on you... were you running the fan 100% of the time at that point? I'd think it probably has a duty cycle, which would lead to a 100% duty cycle killing it.

Do you know how much the aux fan affects air flow when it isn't running? I.e. if I'm cruising down the highway I wouldn't want it to be blocking a lot of the air flow and thus becoming detrimental to my AC

So the Depo aux fan failed on you... were you running the fan 100% of the time at that point? I'd think it probably has a duty cycle, which would lead to a 100% duty cycle killing it.

Do you know how much the aux fan affects air flow when it isn't running? I.e. if I'm cruising down the highway I wouldn't want it to be blocking a lot of the air flow and thus becoming detrimental to my AC

The Depo fan fail while I was testing it in my 80 series maybe 2 hours in 113°. The fans are designed without a duty cycle and I have put my 99 fan, AC, and cooling system to the test for hours.

I have an OEM fan also and the Depo was an exactly LOOKING copy. The fan is mounted exactly like the vehicles equipped from the factory. The 99 AC and cooling was the best I have ever encountered hands down. With that said the only thing you should expect out of adding back in a factory fan is better performance with zero down side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom