How to do an SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is got to be a repeat but cant find the exact information that I want. I guess I am not very good at using the search functoin on this site. I want to know what exactly needs to be done to do a good solid SOA on a 1989 fj62. I am thinking that I just need to cut the perches off the bottom put new ones on top and rotate the axles a little upwards, Then put a hy-steer system on then lengthen the driveshafts. How far off am I here? Is this not even the start of doing this conversion. Once again sorry if this is a repeat to many but there isnt a clear list of what exaclty needs to be done that I can find.
Thanks

yeap, that's pretty much it. move springs from bottom of axles to top of axles.

except that you don't rotate the whole axle, you cut the outer ends off, rotate them the few degrees then weld them back on.

don't really need to cut the perches off the bottom of the axles either, just weld the new ones on the top.

You also need to address the front shock mounts, relocate the rear shock mounts (to maximize travel), modify or replace the front crossmember, and figure out a rear antiwrap bar solution. Oh, extend brake lines, and you might want to think about extending the anti-swaybar mounts, too.

Looking around at some other webistes and figuring out some more stuff on here is it necessary to cut and turn. I am reading stuff that for the wagon it is all right and you dont need to cut and turn? what do you guys think.

Would it be worth it getting an axle from say profftis cruiser that already has this done. I think he quoted 450 for the axle that is reday to bolt in. Any one else do something like this I remember one other place but cant remember and find it.

To me there's only one option: cut and turn. You can do a SOA on the cheap, but that doesn't mean you should. One of the biggest reason SOA conversions have a bad rep is because people try to get away with doing it cheaply and then you end up with a hack job that needs constant fine tuning.

Do it one, do it right. A well-designed and well-executed SOA conversion will yield phenomenal results. The opposite...can be really scary.

theside00 said:
Would it be worth it getting an axle from say profftis cruiser that already has this done. I think he quoted 450 for the axle that is reday to bolt in. Any one else do something like this I remember one other place but cant remember and find it.

Here's the other source, http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/customfab.html

Rotated Front Housing
- $195.00 with core axle housing
- $255.00** without core (FJ40/45/55/70)
- $275.00** without core (FJ60/62)

Email Kurt - kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

Exiled said:
You also need to address the front shock mounts, relocate the rear shock mounts (to maximize travel), modify or replace the front crossmember.
Henry
What front crossmember? Modified how?:confused:

A buddy of mine used Proffitt's cut and turned front axle housing on the SOA he just did on his 62. It worked out great.

What about re-locating shock mounts? Does anyone have any input on this? PICS?

Exiled said:
To me there's only one option: cut and turn.
I have done two SOA's now on wagons, one without the cut n turn and one with. It is almost mandatory and I would not recommend not cutting and turning to anyone. It is hugely better if not just for the handling and steering which is drastically imvproved over even a SUA setup. Find a friend who welds if you dont, honestly a cut n turn is very easy. Look at the photos on the SOA article. When I had my 62 front axle broken down for the SOA, it was honestly only an hour more to do the cut n turn... Also, for the rear I am planning on moving from totally inboarded upper shock mounts to something closer to the factory pins to also get the rear shocks vertical then they work a little better and I don't think it will compromise articulation at all. You can click my FJ55 thread in my sig for specific things I addressed with my SOA, I just hauled a 8000 lbs trailer with car on it with my SOA FJ55 the other day with the spring packs I built and it is very DD able with the setup I have. Hope it helps... Andre

Last edited:
Here is the thread, scroll to the bottom of page 2 and start reading where it says SOA axle tech" for some more advanced stuff about getting good handling and load carrying.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410514&page=2

I have done a lot of work regarding a good SOA that handles well on the street using spring packs only and no anti sway bars. But honestly I thing the next step is anti-sway bars because I still get some body roll... Ridger Runner called my SOA "one of the most stable" he's ever been in once which I thought was pretty cool...

Pictures of the shock relocation:
rear shock relocation.jpg
shock relocation.jpg
shock hoop.jpg

Here's the custom front anti-swaybar extensions/quick-disconnects:
extension disconnect.jpg

I am gonna have to agree with Henry/ Exiled

He is right on with doing it right and doing rightthe first time...I pretty much was there the entire time mine was done and I am very glad I paid the money...I had access to a great welder and fabricator and his shop...and mine turned out great...It was done in 99 and everytime I drive the truck which hasn't been much lately because of an engine swapo I am happy with the way it turned out.

I had a cut and turn done, hysteer, new front shock hoops new rear mounts longer brake lines, new drive shafts, and custom leaf packs that I assmebled myself using stock 60 springs and mini truck springs, I have like 9 in the rear and 7 up front.....I also can't speak highly enough about a anti-wrap system...You WILL tewak springs if you don't do it!!

Again this is just my 2cents woth take it or leave it....just trying to help..

I am going to go for it. I am going to go to profitts cruiser or someplace for the front axle. Were should I go for the hi steer system? 4xlabs. Are they the best? What is the best way to do the shock mounts? How come you have to change them to begin with? Did you guys cut and turn the rear axle to? Sorry for all the questions and probably repost questions I just dont want to screw this thing up. Hey Anyone in the PNW that would be interested in helping me out with this little project?

theside00 said:
I am going to go for it. I am going to go to profitts cruiser or someplace for the front axle. Were should I go for the hi steer system? 4xlabs. Are they the best? What is the best way to do the shock mounts? How come you have to change them to begin with? Did you guys cut and turn the rear axle to? Sorry for all the questions and probably repost questions I just dont want to screw this thing up. Hey Anyone in the PNW that would be interested in helping me out with this little project?

Where in the PNW are you?
there is no cuting and turning the rear just rotating the pinion up a few degrees. You need to do a bit more home work:D search and read here and pirate.
here is a good artical the was written quite some time ago, still very valid well written. Its a 40 but pretty much the same deal.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/spring_over/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom