How to definitively determine if a part is discontinued? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting together a comprehensive OEM part list and would like to know which parts are definitively discontinued from Toyota (even if they might still be available from some dealerships). I'm finding that depending on which website you visit, they might list the part as discontinued but on another website, it may be listed as available and for sale.

Is there a good source to get this information (outside of calling a dealer)?

Thanks!

It’s all over the place. No official Toyota parts dealership stocks anything for the FJ60— if it’s available, they order it from the regional warehouse.
A general rule to go by is if one genuine Toyota parts dealer says a part is discontinued on their website — most likely it is.
And if another dealer says that same part is available — it most likely isn’t.

Most parts websites don’t have super accurate up to date availability info. It’s very common for a dealer website to say a part is available when actually it isn’t.

When in doubt — send them an email.

Amayama frequently shows parts as available, lets you order and pay them, then comes back days later to tell you its discontinued. Megazip does it as well. I have learned to ask for confirmation before paying with both of them.

I'm putting together a comprehensive OEM part list and would like to know which parts are definitively discontinued from Toyota (even if they might still be available from some dealerships). I'm finding that depending on which website you visit, they might list the part as discontinued but on another website, it may be listed as available and for sale.

Is there a good source to get this information (outside of calling a dealer)?

Thanks!

No.

You need to discuss said part with a Toyota parts professional with access to Parts Master Information in Dealer Daily in the US.

Abroad, you need to create a relationship with a human in Japan ideally. David Stedman comes to mind: @Japan4X4

In my experience, if the part shows discontinued on parts.toyota.com, that of course means it's been discontinued in the US. But, you might be able to still source it abroad. I haven't ever found a reliable website that provides this information. Though, IMPEX JAPAN — online new genuine spare parts shop - https://en.impex-jp.com/ does a pretty good job.

in general tho, if it's gone in the US its probably not long till its gone abroad.

In my experience, if the part shows discontinued on parts.toyota.com, that of course means it's been discontinued in the US. But, you might be able to still source it abroad. I haven't ever found a reliable website that provides this information. Though, IMPEX JAPAN — online new genuine spare parts shop - https://en.impex-jp.com/ does a pretty good job.

in general tho, if it's gone in the US its probably not long till its gone abroad.

That’s an incorrect assumption.

So what I’m hearing is unless I have an insider at a dealership it’s not possible. That makes me a little sad and explains, in part, why it’s so difficult to source parts for classics.

It’s not hard, it’s just a little slower.
Collect all the part numbers you need and email the list to the Toyota parts dealer of your choice.
They’ll look up all the parts and let you know what’s available.
Easy

It’s not hard, it’s just a little slower.
Collect all the part numbers you need and email the list to the Toyota parts dealer of your choice.
They’ll look up all the parts and let you know what’s available.
Easy
Yes But I’m trying to automate the process to be fast and easy. Part of a service that anyone can use.

In any case, thanks for all the responses. I’m learning a lot.

Yes But I’m trying to automate the process to be fast and easy. Part of a service that anyone can use.

In any case, thanks for all the responses. I’m learning a lot.

This cannot be automated due to the fluid nature of Toyota service parts engineering and service parts procurement— as well as regionalization of procurement and supersessions.

You need to talk to a human.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom