How often to change spark plug tube gaskets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Update: I replaced my spark plug gaskets that were only 6 years old. But I had about 120,000 on them. Yes I drive the truck alot. They didnt leak but were brittle and hard just like the old ones i removed 6 years ago. The valve cover gasket was still supple but it obviously got replaced again. It is surprising but I have to realize I might have to go back and redo some of the stuff I did as a "baseline". 6-8 years ago. Almost like a 2nd baseline. I also redid fan clutch oil which I did 150,000 ago. Things like my oil pump seal are doing well which I did 150,000 ago. But it should be on my raidar. Distributer o ring has oil "film" in the area and should be replaced soon. I have one of the last new oem distributers but it is living on a shelf right now since my original is going strong. But I could put that in.

Trivial question. How often do we need to change the spark plug tube gaskets? Every time valvecover comes off?

I installed new oem about 6 years ago 120,000 miles ago when I did the top end rebuild. Yes I drive it a lot.

No leaking that I have seen but valve cover is comming off and will get some other new gaskets like valve cover, pvc, throttle body and distributer o ring that are all also 6 years old. But I didnt know if I should do the plug tube gaskets again as well.

Last edited:
Leaking? No, Leave them. My opinion only.

Leaking? No, Leave them. My opinion only.
I really should keep this one simple and just check valves and button it up. But I n.v have been looking at getting a spair VC and having it powder coated "while I am in there". The high temp paint I put on the VC 6 years ago is pealing. Obviously if I powder coat the new VC I will need to do seals.

Why do I always make bigger projects out of things.😁

I think because they are seals - age and heat cycles are more important than miles driven. I would be inspecting the plugs for leakage and if none I would leave them.

I had a valve cover powdercoated 12 years ago, the coating started to fail (bubble) after 6-8 years, now it looks horrible in the front. Might have been a poor application (small shop went out of business), so IDK.

So went another direction this time and recently had another valve cover coated with CERAKOTE, so going to give that a try. They say it bonds to the surface better than powdercoat.

About how often to change spark plug tube seals. On a 97 FZJ80 I picked up 4-5 years ago, it started to get some seeping from the valve cover gasket as well as oil getting past the spark plug seals. No idea how long ago they were replaced by the PO, but the valve cover gasket was still pliable as were the tube seals when I pulled them off, but they had been leaking/seeping slightly for at least a couple of years.

Point is, IMHO, I would replace the gasket, tube seals, and PCV grommet while it's apart.

FWIW.

Last edited:
10-20 years ago no one ever mentioned spark plug seals. It simply wasn’t a common issue. Consider it a 100k mile interval…which is very much on the conservative side.

Just peek down into the spark plug tubes. If you see oil then change them. The only ever time I’d change them automatically is if the valve cover comes off. Then I’ll change them pre-emptivly with the gasket and throttle body gasket.

i would say when you change the VC gasket just change it all. if its already off why not do it? since you are pulling the VC i would replace the whole thing. its not much money and you would hate to do it again in 6 months when its leaking or something.

I’ve kicked around the idea of getting a used VC to have it anodized. Is there any concern that it wouldn’t mate up correctly to the block of a different engine or would the gasket make up for it?

I’ve kicked around the idea of getting a used VC to have it anodized. Is there any concern that it wouldn’t mate up correctly to the block of a different engine or would the gasket make up for it?
Been down that road. Anodize looks like ass on the type of casting aluminum Toyota uses.

Last edited:
Update in the original post. The ones I had were 6years old, dry brittle and old feeling but not leaking. I replaced them with new ones and am happy I did. These parts are really easy to remove and install when they have not been in there 20 years. Old ones popped out and new ones basically pushed in with very firm pressure from my thumbs. Then a few taps to seat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom