How much would it cost......FJ40 content (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
To have someone take parts from 2 FJ40s and put together 1 FJ40 assuming all of the parts are there? A guy started to take them all apart...engine was rebuilt, but never fired. Frame was sanded down and painted. Between the 2 FJs there is at least 1 FJ that will run....them a bunch of leftover parts. So if someone were essentially starting with the frame and tub and had all of the parts to sift through and put it together, what are we talking? Just to get it together and running.

@NCFJ ?

Last edited:
that is not easy to answer. You are talking about taking two cruisers and dropping it off at a shop and telling them to take the best parts from the two and make one??

It won't be cheap I can tell you that, 1000's of shop hours at whatever they charge is the best answer I could give you. If you are seriously looking for someone to do this i'd call Marshall or Stan and ask him what he would charge.

I think you're asking how much time would it take ? If so, I feel like my first restoration was similar to the scenario you describe. I'm not an expert and it took us 400-600 man hours. An expert/shop/restorer could be 200-400 man hours. Just my opinion though.

Note: These #s would change if paint and body work is not required (very time intensive).

Good point. I don’t necessarily need the best of the 2 parts but since they are already taken off....lol.

I think you're asking how much time would it take ? If so, I feel like my first restoration was similar to the scenario you describe. I'm not an expert and it took us 400-600 man hours. An expert/shop/restorer could be 200-400 man hours. Just my opinion though.

Note: These #s would change if paint and body work is not required (very time intensive).

Essentially, yes. I wouldn’t be doing the work bc I would need it to actually run....haha.

That's like asking "hey, ive got these 2x4s, how much would it cost to build a house from this?"

answer: a lot, and even more than a lot if you're paying someone else to sort out someone else's mess

I'd say if you had every part to assemble a FJ40, in brand new condition, all OE, and sorted... assembly would be around 160-200 hours. Go from there... :)

Might wanna consider selling each of them separately and taking the money and buying a mostly finished project. You'll likely spend a ton more doing what you're considering - Don't know of anyone that paid someone else to restore their vehicle and were able to sell it for more than they spent. Let someone else lose that money.

Might wanna consider selling each of them separately and taking the money and buying a mostly finished project. You'll likely spend a ton more doing what you're considering - Don't know of anyone that paid someone else to restore their vehicle and were able to sell it for more than they spent. Let someone else lose that money.

Yeah, probably makes the most sense....

That is an impossible question to give a definitive answer to without a lot more information to start with. Sent you a PM.

Like mentioned above, it is not going to be cheap. You may well do better in the long run selling off what you have and buying one already up and running.

You don’t want that, the beer cost would far surpass the labor cost of a real shop. :):beer:

Free beer for a week... is it worth risking the flight....HMMM..... maybe but the beer cost would triple on me alone ;)

Reactions: AJR

You should have given him the standard answer

Two Weeks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom