How much should I pay for axle service? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't do the front axle service myself -- no help and not smart enough. How much should the dealer charge me? I have my choice of dealers or I can drive about 1 1/2 hours to an independent mechanic that has some LC experience. So what is a fair price? I am doing the service so i can sell this 1992 and buy a newer one. I am in the middle GA area. Thanks

You're going to take it in the shorts. I wouldn't pay to have it done and then sell the vehicle. The dealer is going to charge you around $1k. I would do it myself or just forget about it.

I agree with c-man -- just squirt some stuff in there and turn the radio up when the buyer's cruisin' it --

-- what you gonna sell it for??

eric

I just finished doing mine this weekend along with Hltoppr. It wasn't hard, just time consuming with doing the trunion bearings too. You could do a birf pack in a few hours (four pounds of grease, 7 or 8 cans of brake cleaner and a lot of shop towels). Why not practice on the 92 for the new one you are going to get?

Macondawg,

Call your cruiser mechanic that is 90 minutes away and ask him how much. I'd guess about $800 including parts and labor. Figure $1,000 to $1,200 at a Toyota dealer.

I can understand your reluctance to do it yourself right before selling it. It might make more sense to be up front with the potential new owner and let them do the job and you reduce your price by $1,000. (Assuming you're not trading it in; if so, then definitely don't spend the money up front as the dealer can do it at their cost.)

Now if you're doing it so you can get top dollar (i.e. fix leaks, or fix clicking) then you *might* break even. Somehow I doubt it.

-B-

Send me a PM with the stats on that truck...I may be able to get a buyer for ya.

Lots of Georgia Cruisers are looking for 80s now and front axle service is no big deal to these grease lovers!

Mine would have been $1300 at the Lexus dealer but was covered under warantee ;)

I paid about $190 US for the gasket kit and 4 oil seals. The labour is harder to figure as I paid $680 US labour for having 4.88s installed and I had them do the birf service at the same time. So that would be $870 US for the birf service AND labour for regearing the diffs. The regearing parts were extra of course. Looks like I got a good price.
Cheers
Sean

Post over in the tech area. I think there's a few cruiser dudes over there. Someone may be willing to do it in your driveway for less $ and if they are crusierheads, they LIKELY know what they are doing. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom