How Much is a 1983 FJ60 5peed Worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, i'm an 80 owner but found a great deal on a 1983 FJ60 with 105 original miles. he's asking 3,500k but i know i can get her for 2k right now.

What should i do and what should i check for, is it the same as my 80 series??
I know its a different engine (3fe) but how is the tranny etc...

What problems should i look for.

The truck starts no problem and the AC works (blows Cold).

Its a nice truck, just alittle rusty on the lower panels and such!

Tell me what i should do?

If it is an American FJ60, it will have the 2F carbed motor, not a 3FE. Unless it has been modified, it will not have a 5 spd, it will be a 4 spd.

Check the frame, that is where the rust to worry about is hiding. If the miles are reasonable and the interior is not trashed, $2000 seems reasonable to me.

If it is the rear lower quarters that are rusty, you can just bob them off at the level of the bottom of the tailgate. Problem solved.

Buy it.

Hodag

hodag said:
Unless it has been modified, it will not have a 5 spd, it will be a 4 spd.

This is a notable point as there have been at least a couple circumstances where an FJ60 has been advertised here (NM, USA)as a 5-spd, either because the seller was stupid or deceitful (4 forward plus reverse = 5 speeds). Make sure it's really an oiverdrive 5 speed because that would make a big difference in value.

I used to have a 1983 FJ60 cruiser and it had a 5 speed gearbox as standard. I don't know if this is an australia only option or something? I paid $3000AUD for it and sold it 2 years later for $3000AUD. Seems good value, but I had spent about $3000AUD on it during those 2 years. (tyres, suspension, bullbar, LPG tank recertification.....)

Well i think i am goign to make him an offer for 1500.00, oh and i know its a 4 speed, my fault, i posted too fast.

Rolly said:
I used to have a 1983 FJ60 cruiser and it had a 5 speed gearbox as standard. I don't know if this is an australia only option or something? I paid $3000AUD for it and sold it 2 years later for $3000AUD. Seems good value, but I had spent about $3000AUD on it during those 2 years. (tyres, suspension, bullbar, LPG tank recertification.....)

just like the diesels, the 5spds were not for the US market either:frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom