Wheel options - 1983 LC fj60 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first post. I have a, new to me, 1983 Land Cruiser with the stock wheels and bumpers. It has and 2.5 OME lift / suspension and 31" tires on 15" stock rims. I have been reading that changing the heavy steel wheels for lighter forged aluminum will really make a difference in the driving experience. So, my questions are:

1. Is this true from other's experience ?
2. What wheels & tire combos do others use / recommend ?

Any help as I get into this is greatly appreciated ! I'll post photos as I go. Excited to see how this goes.

weight difference in a 15" rim between steel and alloy isn't but a few pounds per wheel, there will be no difference in driving experience in a 40 year old rig with leaf spring suspension
I run stock rims with 31's

I've been working on this part of the puzzle for years. . .literally years. There are options but know you're going to pay a premium for getting what you want. I've narrowed mine down to HRE (Ring Brothers K5 Blazer wheels), Skol (SK-15, 1st choice at the moment) and Forgeline (TR11, TR31). Rotiform makes a wheel that's +/- close to OEM steelies (STL) and they make the STL in both a forged and cast option. Braid (Fullrace T Dakar) is a solid option as well. ICON4x4 offers a forged steelies-look and you can order appropriate front/rear caps with the purchase - and believe it or not, ICON's option is the lowest cost aside from the cast Rotiform STL's.

I tried very lightweight aluminum rims a very long time ago and I noticed ZERO difference in handling, braking, acceleration- No difference at all on a FJ60 compared to the heavy stock steel wheels.

I think all the performance gains of lightweight wheels are only relevant to lightweight sports cars and likely the MEME of lightweight wheel performance has been promulgated by aluminum wheel manufacturers and their resellers.

I've been working on this part of the puzzle for years. . .literally years. There are options but know you're going to pay a premium for getting what you want. I've narrowed mine down to HRE (Ring Brothers K5 Blazer wheels), Skol (SK-15, 1st choice at the moment) and Forgeline (TR11, TR31). Rotiform makes a wheel that's +/- close to OEM steelies (STL) and they make the STL in both a forged and cast option. Braid (Fullrace T Dakar) is a solid option as well. ICON4x4 offers a forged steelies-look and you can order appropriate front/rear caps with the purchase - and believe it or not, ICON's option is the lowest cost aside from the cast Rotiform STL's.
thank you! I'll look at all these options... shocking that the ICON option is the lowest cost.

You might oughta consider keeping the stock until you upgrade your brakes (Tundra Mod). Then your options will increase because you will be swapping to 16-17" inch wheels. but personally, I think the stock wheels with 33x10.5's KO2's tucked under has a special look and works really well. Not many of the new wheels look right or fit well.

You might oughta consider keeping the stock until you upgrade your brakes (Tundra Mod). Then your options will increase because you will be swapping to 16-17" inch wheels. but personally, I think the stock wheels with 33x10.5's KO2's tucked under has a special look and works really well. Not many of the new wheels look right or fit well.
after looking at waay to many modern wheels, I agree. Nothing I see looks better than stock wheels with KO2s. I'll just swap my chrome wheels for black/gray steel wheels. thanks for the help.

after looking at waay to many modern wheels, I agree. Nothing I see looks better than stock wheels with KO2s. I'll just swap my chrome wheels for black/gray steel wheels. thanks for the help.
something like this with the center ring/cap.
1701284047032.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom