How much do you like/enjoy/use the tailgate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love the tailgate. It was one of the features (besides “looking badass”) that sold my wife on the truck.
Now as for using a LX to go to Tierra del Fuego - I would consider something else.
99.9% of that drive will be on improved surfaces. You’ll need to ship from Panama to SA. And you’ll need to drive or ship it home.
weset off to do this journey in a 4Runner which was a much better choice.
You want decent fuel mileage and you want to blend in. You also need to fit in a shipping container.
having made that drive to Patagonia now 4 times, and countless drives to Alaska, Central America and Mexico over the last 35 years, i would agree about the LX statement. Not so much with the 4Runner, unless you make sure to keep your load weight down. Not a terrible choice (heck, most of the drive can be done in a clapped out Kia) but the 4 Runner real world mileage isn’t much different than a 200 Series LC but payload is much lower.

having made that drive to Patagonia now 4 times, and countless drives to Alaska, Central America and Mexico over the last 35 years, i would agree about the LX statement. Not so much with the 4Runner, unless you make sure to keep your load weight down. Not a terrible choice (heck, most of the drive can be done in a clapped out Kia) but the 4 Runner real world mileage isn’t much different than a 200 Series LC but payload is much lower.
I'm open - which vehicle would you recommend for going south - camping part-time?

Didn't give it much thought prior to purchase but having it I just love it. Yes so far in 2 months of ownership makes nice staging area while dressing for skiing and work area out of the rain.

I'm open - which vehicle would you recommend for going south - camping part-time?
Honestly, whatever you already have that will hold the gear you need. Cant tell you how many people i have met that really wanted to do the trip but had no time or money. Meanwhile, they were driving a brand new 4Runner or Ford pickup. So i would say, depending on your resources, save up the traveling money then decide on a vehicle. A LC100, a Gen 3 or 4 4Runner, a Tacoma with a shell, heck even a newer Subaru Outback would be fine. But dont let the vehicle be the limiting factor. Just go!

Honestly, whatever you already have that will hold the gear you need. Cant tell you how many people i have met that really wanted to do the trip but had no time or money. Meanwhile, they were driving a brand new 4Runner or Ford pickup. So i would say, depending on your resources, save up the traveling money then decide on a vehicle. A LC100, a Gen 3 or 4 4Runner, a Tacoma with a shell, heck even a newer Subaru Outback would be fine. But dont let the vehicle be the limiting factor. Just go!
I've got a fully built out 2017 Transit van. I want a smaller rig to go south. I get the idea that any rig can do it - I at one time was going to do it on my BMW GS - not anymore...
So - You would recommend an LC100 - why not a LC 200 and again why not an LX - we don't have LC's up here only LXs.

I've got a fully built out 2017 Transit van. I want a smaller rig to go south. I get the idea that any rig can do it - I at one time was going to do it on my BMW GS - not anymore...
So - You would recommend an LC100 - why not a LC 200 and again why not an LX - we don't have LC's up here only LXs.
LX will be fine, although id do a couple of things first. Tape over or remove the Lexus badges. The car will get stolen or broken into. Also, dump the big wheels and replace with 18” wheels with a very standard tire size, including the spare. If you need a new tire you will be waiting weeks for a 20 incher to arrive. Id remove the 3rd row seats too as doing that will give you an extra 120 pounds of payload. Other than that you should be good to go.

I have a lot of experience with Transit vans, especially high top vans. Id skip that if it were me given the size but i woild use it in a heartbeat if it were my only choice. Again, i wouldn’t let vehicle choice prevent me from going.

LX will be fine, although id do a couple of things first. Tape over or remove the Lexus badges. The car will get stolen or broken into. Also, dump the big wheels and replace with 18” wheels with a very standard tire size, including the spare. If you need a new tire you will be waiting weeks for a 20 incher to arrive. Id remove the 3rd row seats too as doing that will give you an extra 120 pounds of payload. Other than that you should be good to go.

I have a lot of experience with Transit vans, especially high top vans. Id skip that if it were me given the size but i woild use it in a heartbeat if it were my only choice. Again, i wouldn’t let vehicle choice prevent me from going.
I know the Transit can do it - it will just be more fun with a smaller 4*4 rig imho. Planning on putting 285/75/17 & removing 2nd & 3rd-row seats. I'll get a land rover badge to cover the L...

Don’t plan on camping. Lodging will be inexpensive, you’ll need gated parking or you’ll get robbed, and camping gear will eat up a lot of space and make you look like a foreigner.

P.S. you won’t be able to fly home most likely. You’re truck will be stamped in your passport. You cannot leave without it.

No offense, but there is loads of information available on this now (unlike when I did it). You may want to do a bit more research. A LC tailgate isn’t going to be the dealbreaker. A Kia can make it. And when you have no maps and are all alone you are not going to go far off the beaten path. The locals don’t either. Because that’s how you end up dead.

P.S. you won’t be able to fly home most likely. You’re truck will be stamped in your passport. You cannot leave without it.

No offense, but there is loads of information available on this now (unlike when I did it). You may want to do a bit more research. A LC tailgate isn’t going to be the dealbreaker. A Kia can make it. And when you have no maps and are all alone you are not going to go far off the beaten path. The locals don’t either. Because that’s how you end up dead.

Posting this was just one small detail of the LX/ GX that I simply wanted some insight on since I had no experience with either. & no certainly not a dealbreaker either way!
The traveling part has been glossed over - details will be taken care of in the next 1.5 years.. btw I have spoken to some folk who have parked their vehicle down south all day long.

Last edited:
1578279186028.png
1578279186028.png
1578279350045.png

But what springs is it running?!?!

Armored 200 did its job. And dont trust any armed person in Mexico unless it say MARINAS on their uniform and vehicle. Only the Mexican Navy can be trusted in any capacity.
Yes!!! Especially when you are driving a vehicle that is worth more than the whole village.

My .2 is the tailgate is one of the great features of the Land Cruiser in all the series but the 40 series. I would eventually like to swap the barn doors on my 40 series and add a tailgate there as well 👍

My .2 is the tailgate is one of the great features of the Land Cruiser in all the series but the 40 series. I would eventually like to swap the barn doors on my 40 series and add a tailgate there as well 👍

My last 2 FJ40's have been FST's just for the tailgate - love the option

Another +1 for the tailgate. We use ours so much and find it so useful it has influenced me away from a rear bumper with swing out to accomodate larger than 13 gallon aux tank (24 and up require relo of the spare tire). Same with removing the 3rd row - ours is staying in, for now. Your life stage may vary, of course.

Yes!!! Especially when you are driving a vehicle that is worth more than the whole village.
Take a second to contemplate the numbers. The US Mexican border is the "most crossed border in the world" with 1M legal X / day. Not sure if there are that many $10k Kia cars available cuz you don't want them drivin $25K LCs! I just hope they all make it back alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom