How many miles after gas light's on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a little wheelin this weekend in the southern Appalachian's. :D :beer: Great fun but coming out of the trail the gas light came on. Managed to drive another 15 miles to the nearest gas station. Just curious, what's average expected mileage after the light comes on before you're walking?

I have pushed mine to about 32 miles after light came on and ended up putting in 22.6 gallons so that was pretty close for a 23 gallon tank(I think)
Dave

You've got about 5 gallons left when idiot light comes on. You've got a 25 gallon tank unless you've installed an aux. tank.

You can do the math given your mpg and circumstances. :D

Brent, being a bean counter :flipoff2: , has it nailed.

If I fiil just when I get a flicker it takes just at 19.5 +/- gallons. if I wait till the light is on solid, it's about 20 to 20.5 gallons. Total capacity is 25.3 gallons(published). I have not experimented to see how much it takes when the engine starts to sputter. That is not good for the fuel pump. If I were to guess, I would say that the pump will pull 'til there is about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon remaining.
To recap, I would say that you have about 4 usable gallons when you first get the light. Multiply that by your average fuel mileage observed for the conditions that you are operating under.

D-

17Nov2003 (UTC -7)

So if you're averaging 10mpg, you have about 50 miles to go before the engine dies. 10mpg x 5gal = 50miles (80km).

*10mpg is a very rough guess of an easy off-road & highway mpg fuel economy estimate.

I think I'll take that as a compliment Dan. :flipoff2:

Of course it's a compliment. :doh:

That being said, I do worry about your mechanical skills a bit. ::)

I'm sure that you would kick my sorry bottom on the links though :flipoff2:

I'm thinking of designing a four-bagger 80, would you be interested in assisting? :D
D-

H-,

Yup, same tank. 25.3 US gallons.

Is your spare still under the vehicle and are you wanting more capacity?

The reason I ask is because I want more fuel but I have not found currently existing methods for adding capacity suitable for my wish list. I am considering pursuing construction of an auxilary tank with a capacity of about 25 gallons that would occupy the current spare tire location. The OEM sub tank found in AUS models is only about 13 gallons and the smallest aftermarket tank is 34 gallons, more weight than I want to pack.

D-

Good, Thanks Dan!

I've never been able to hold off until my "low fuel" light comes on, so I don't know if it works. ::) My guage reads empty at about 19.5 gallons used.

I'm going to carry two NATO 20L cans inside the truck for the upcoming baja trip. Depending upon whether that works well or not will form my next move towards greater capacity...I might very well be interested in the tank option.

Heck, I just gained 5 gals! :slap:

-H-

I knew it was a compliment - LOL out of it. 8)

Never said my mechanical skills were any good. I'd worry too! Hell, as my fading memory goes, I barely got thru required shop class in junior high school. I do think I can handle the fog light installation. Did real well in math tho!

Hmmm, a four bagger huh. Our cruisers can easily carry four bags already. Guess who drives when four of us visit another club to play?

I've seen some 'cute' hitch racks that hold two golf bags - designed for a Mazda Miata.

Missed an exit on the freeway in Eastern N. Dakota late at night while towing, and managed to travel just over 50 miles to the next gas. Be advised that the fuel cools the pump, so running low like that is not advised even if your tank is clean as a whistle like mine. Just how clean is a whistle anyhow?

DougM

you guys use all the wrong measurements..... :slap:

There is 20 litres left when the light comes on, and at 20lt per 100km [aprox] consumption you would be able to do 100km, or about 64 miles in normal driving conditions.

17Nov2003 (UTC -8)

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=2;threadid=7665;start=msg64567#msg64567 date=1069139634]
you guys use all the wrong measurements..... :slap:

There is 20 litres left when the light comes on, and at 20lt per 100km [aprox] consumption you would be able to do 100km, or about 64 miles in normal driving conditions.
[/quote]

Naah, how about using the wrong fuel? If they had a stock turbo-diesel, which can average 25mpg going 55mph on a sea-level highway, and they had 5 gallons of fuel, they can go drive up to 125 mi (201.125 km) to look for more fuel 8)

5 gallons is enough for my 3FE to start and warm up. :D

:cheers:

[quote author=drexx link=board=2;threadid=7665;start=msg64575#msg64575 date=1069142966]
17Nov2003 (UTC -8)Naah, how about using the wrong fuel? If they had a stock turbo-diesel, which can average 25mpg going 55mph on a sea-level highway, and they had 5 gallons of fuel, they can go drive up to 125 mi (201.125 km) to look for more fuel 8)
[/quote]

Well, we did do an economy run here with factory td's aftermarket 1hzzzzzzzzz's and my turbo intercooled 4.5, and only one factory td used less fuel than my petrol, and only half a litre less for the same trip.

Seems like you guys are even bolting on the wrong aftermarket parts :flipoff2:

[economy run 11.2lt per 100km or 2.95 gallons per 62.5 miles or 21.1 mile per gallon.]

BTW, its only the latest 1hdfte that makes a fraction more torque than the 4.5 in the 100, but still 25kw down on the petrol, and the 100 4.5 makes more torque at 800rpm than the 1hzzzzzzzz makes in total.....

Now my latest vehicle gets better milage than a 1hdt- and 1hz, at 23mpg on the hwy [no 1h-series "averages" 25mpg] and the prado ahs a better power to weight ratio than the 100 td :D

18Nov2003 (UTC -7)

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=2;threadid=7665;start=msg64744#msg64744 date=1069189858]
...no 1h-series "averages" 25mpg... :D
[/quote]

Well dude, the 25mpg number is straight from the HDJ-80 owner's manual ;)
I myself averaged, after topping up thrice from Denver (CO) to San Jose (CA) which is about 1,300 mi (2,092 km), 27mpg @ about 70mph.

But now with the bigger tyres and body armor and extra stuff, I get about 18mpg in city/highway driving. :'(

Ok Drexx, now that you've got me jealous...how did you come about getting that fine piece of Toyota diesel machinery in the US?

Forgive me if you've gone over it here or on the old SOR site before, I must have missed it then.

I am very curious!

-H-
(At least I get double digit fuel economy with the 3FE! :flipoff2:)

H-

I think I know who he bought it from. ;) If it's the one I think it is, it came from eastern Europe (Yugoslavia maybe?) and belonged to a fellow I know in Denver. I would have bought it if I'd had the coins.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom