How many lumens are you running on low beams? 60,000+ (1 Viewer)

How many Lumens are you running on low beams?

• Super Bright LED 28,000-40,000 lumens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ultra Super Bright LED 50,000+ lumens

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am on a search for the highest, brightest, most lumen headlight bulb for my 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser. I am currently in 16,000 lumen range. Want to upgrade to ~60,000. Has anyone seen the difference? Newer LED bulbs have technology not to blind oncoming drivers. My current 16k lumen LED low beam bulbs go as far as my high beams almost. Do 60,000 lumens go farther?

lol @ “technology” not to blind oncoming drivers, despite 30 times the output and an inability to put the light emitting area in the exact location as the original filament.

“More is better” thinking here, and screw everyone else on the road, I guess.

Worse than the people that just drive with high beams on constantly. At least then it’s most often incompetence, not a choice to blind everyone else.

The 16k/60W LEDs I have currently do not blind oncoming drivers- I physically checked. It has 6000K which is not as sharp as 6500K esp when driving fast speeds. I think thats one way to reduce blinding.

I fully agree NOT to endanger myself/others by blinding them, have experienced it myself. Not trying to do it to others. That being said my 60W LEDs aren't super intense. Want to know how 120-200W LED bulbs do.

71P0CXcJjHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71qUVKKjSeL._AC_SX679_.jpg

1600ft (150W) vs 1200ft (60W). I keep getting close to hitting deer every night, having more light/distance is safer esp at high speeds.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, can not drive on streets/highway with roof bar lit in Chicago. Plus it requires custom construction. I have considered it as my favorite upgrades to LC involve super bright lights.

These guys are linking websites where bulbs cost $219 as opposed to Amazon which are $9. I have no problem paying $219 but have a hard time believing there is that much of a difference between them.
Compare the chips that the ones on Amazon have with the ratings, what I've always done. I can tell you from experience, Amazon sellers do not tell the truth for lumens or power.

Fully agree on Amazon Sellers lying/misrepresenting products. I just get surprised about the huge price discrepancy between a $9 bulb and $219 bulb. If $219 bulb was offering 200% the performance it would make sense, but I doubt it's doing even 10% more. I feel like these automotive lighting companies are marking prices way up and trying to make a fool out of someone. Thats what my issue is, I hate feeling like a chump.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, can not drive on streets/highway with roof bar lit in Chicago. Plus it requires custom construction. I have considered it as my favorite upgrades to LC involve super bright lights.
I'm pretty sure @yOHda is suggesting to get a bullbar or bumper. They call them Roo Bars down there (kangaroo).

Thank you, I am a huge outback fan and not up to date with the lingo. I do want a Roo bar and bought two different ones previously (ARB and dobsons). I was a wannabe baja/outback racer when I first got it and it would affect top speed and driving dynamics especially at 80+mph. I put a black aluminum push bar for time being as it didn't affect handling. Ive considered buying aluminum roo bars but don't want to lose my airbags as they have saved my life a number of times. Even scared to change seats over this even though I am dying for a comfortable seat after 300k miles.

"don't want to lose my airbags as they have saved my life a number of times."

The name checks out.

I'm pretty sure @yOHda is suggesting to get a bullbar or bumper. They call them Roo Bars down there (kangaroo).

The name checks out.

Sometimes I only get my humor, and that’s quite alright.

The name checks out.
I WAS RECKLESS but now CAUTIOUS. Need low beam bulbs to light up entire line of sight esp since I tinted front windshield.

How many lumens is a facepalm worth?

100,000. That's the magic number

I have a brilliant idea take the tint off your windshield so you can see. I know that's a novel out there idea but give it a try...

So your saying if you shine a normal flashlight at someone and a spotlight they shouldn't be blinded by either?

Use osram night brakes laser bulbs they are legal won't blind people and are better than any LED bulbs you can buy.
Led's pool light in front, hid project lights farther if you really want to have great light output retro fit lexus LS430 projectors in your headlights. 430 projectors are sought after and renowned for there light dispersing ability.

For low beams, there's a wattage limit, so you might be able to get a little brighter but the majority of the brightness is going to be due to how the headlight housing focuses and reflects the light beam. I have Philips Xtremevision HIDs on my 2013 (I know you have a 2009) and they are about the brightest low beams I found. They were not cheap (~$200 for the pair vs $30-40 for Chinese-branded HIDs on Amazon) but they are ~10% brighter (by my eye) than the OEM ones I replaced at ~100k miles.

If you want more distance though, add some driving lights (Stedi are awesome though they're not SAE-approved... PIAA LP570 are LED and SAE-Y marked/DOT approved) to your bumper or grill and wire them to your high beams. If you need more distance with your low beams you are driving too fast with other vehicles around, period. If you can somehow find a way to put out 500,000 lumens from your low beams, you're probably extremely illegal and likely to be pulled over in Chicago.

BTW in most states (Illinois included) you can have 4 lights on at any time... could be 2 fog lights and 2 low beams, or 2 low beams and 2 high beams, or 2 high beams and 2 driving lights... so long as they're DOT-approved (SAE marking) and are aligned correctly for the type of light (i.e. I think fog lights must be mounted <20" and have the correct cutoff, aux lights/high beams cannot be mounted higher than 36", etc). Yes I spent a ton of time reading up on the regulations.

Thanks, I have put super bright LED bulbs in my fogs and not seen much of a difference between brands/lumens. My $9 60W LED bulbs are giving more distance equal to high beams but some of the amazon ads had me thinking I could get more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom