How long do original airbags last? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's the deciding factor? Time/age? Usage? Vehicle mileage? What's the longest running airbags out there?

I've got an '06 with 160k, OEM airbags going strong. I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I'd kinda like to give it a lift.

Care seems to matter, and climate. If you are in the dry heat...they toast faster from what I have seen.

10 years on mine. SoCal rig

What's the deciding factor? Time/age? Usage? Vehicle mileage? What's the longest running airbags out there?

I've got an '06 with 160k, OEM airbags going strong. I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I'd kinda like to give it a lift.

you jinxed it for you right there by even mentioning :flipoff2:

we got the '04 DSRTGX at 170K - airbags diagnosed as bad a few hundred miles after

our '04 SWAMPGX at 130K is still going fine . . .

neither of which ever saw much offroad, one was raised in the desert, the other one in FL and TX, mostly

185K on mine.
WA state car for +130K then I think , 1 year in AZ, and I've put 35K on it.
I'd have to reference the maintenance sheet for exacting mileage but I don't recall seeing airbags in there when researching the rig.
Based on the condition it was in when I bought it (from a member here on Mud), I'm certain it was a pavement car, 100%, as such I've been giving the 'ol bushings a workout! ;)

I recently obtained a 2004 with 90K and original air bags. I don't think the PO ever touched the ride height switch. It was garage kept in Colorado. It has never been off-road or towed a trailer.

I recently obtained a 2004 with 90K and original air bags. I don't think the PO ever touched the ride height switch. It was garage kept in Colorado. It has never been off-road or towed a trailer.

That's how I got mine. Actually test drove 2 off craigslist, bought the 2nd, both had the same story.

"It's my wife's car, never been offroad, never towed anything, only selling it to get a brand new one." The dude kinda freaked out when I raised it and locked the diff. I think we've discovered a glitch in the market with these vehicles.

Mine lived in southern California for 11 years, then moved to Utah (road salt and snow :mad:) I replaced them a few months ago with 170K on the odometer. When I "tricked" the ride height sensors to stay in High, it sealed the cracks and nothing leaked. But living it's life in Normal wore out a small circle of rubber on the bags that eventually cracked in the high use area. Symptoms of leaking bags include, in no specific order:
  1. Car leaning sharply to one side
  2. a hissing/leaking sound coming for the rear air bag one or both sides
  3. coming back to the GX in the morning and the rear bump stops are sitting on the axle
  4. The air compressor (hidden behind the drivers side rear fender) keeps kicking on and off periodically
  5. ride height switch in the cab not working

My GX had all 5 symptoms. to kick start the switch to work again in item #5 I had to get into the tech/hidden settings of the nav screen and reset some stuff.

Replaced with a set from Amazon with a 2 year warranty for $110 when this was still going to be my wife's care. (its now become mine sooner than I expected) So far so good, when they go out I have a set of Old Man Emu springs and rear Fox shock take offs from my friends FJ that he pitched me when he went long-travel. Means I'll need bigger tires and a proper lift up front when that time comes.....:p

Wife's '04 just gave out about 2 months ago. 135k on the odo. Actually popped while on the highway (that was a fun ride home). Luckily I had the bags off my '07 that were fairly new (PO had them swapped at dealer about 2 years ago). Got home, 10 minute air bag swap and good to go again.

Wife's '04 just gave out about 2 months ago. 135k on the odo. Actually popped while on the highway (that was a fun ride home). Luckily I had the bags off my '07 that were fairly new (PO had them swapped at dealer about 2 years ago). Got home, 10 minute air bag swap and good to go again.
10 minutes? You're a better mechanic than I...of course a real jack would have sped up my swap a bit.

10 minutes? You're a better mechanic than I...of course a real jack would have sped up my swap a bit.

Haha, yeah, 2 jacks and the right size line tool make it easy. Lift the rear, jack stand it. Luckily her whole system was deflated so they basically fell out once I knocked the retaining clips off. Popped the ones from mine in and good to go.