How long can you push the 90k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the OP will be fine going 20k over. I estimate I drove on this compromised belt for about 20k. Total life of the belt was 115k.

Remember that one from when you first posted it. With hardened pins carving up the belt and milling the drive sprocket, the trusty 2FE just keeps on ticking for thousands of miles. These engines are bombproof!

Put it on your list to get done by the end of the year.

172k and counting, I just got a quote from the dealership today($350) I have already ordered EVERYTHING from beno...

image-3117703463.jpg

image-10289922.jpg

image-3117703463.jpg

image-10289922.jpg

I have 100500 on the ODO. I have postponed TB change till at least another year or 10K miles. Decided to do other stuff of higher priority. I heard from experts that the TB on these things is highly reliable. There is always a very very small chance of things going wrong though.

Good to know.. I just bought a 99 LC with 127k. Owner doesn't know if the timing belt was done, they are the 3rd owner.

I have a 4hr drive from grand Junction to Denver. So I think/hope I'm good till I get back in town.

PO neglected mine, so it was at the top of the list when I purchased it at 127k. Belt was fine... But... There mere fact that you're asking the question suggests that you should take care of it. TB swap trumps engine swap from a cost perspective every time.

While I haven't done it, Beno also had to rub it in on how the LC 90k is one of the easiest of them all (goodbye $1200 to the pockets of Mr. T). If you have good mechanical skills there are plenty of posts here to walk you through it and save some $$$$.

A little surprised at some of these responses from here, since the response to this frequent topic on other ToyoLex boards always seems to be "why would you risk it". Yes, on my 2000 the PO had not had it done at 150k despite being religious with everything else, so I went ahead and did it (and then hated the transmission so much I traded it in right after, go figure) and the belt did show minor cracking/fraying. But in other Toyota/Lexus timing belt threads I was made to understand that a visual check of the belt means little as it's typically the WP itself or timing belt *tensioner pulley* that fail and throw the whole works to a grind. The time interval is 9 years, but I haven't ever actually heard of a toyota belt snapping due to age. Again, supporting parts, not the belt.

Now, if it's true that the 2UZ-FE is non-interference, then who cares who really. But to me, the "safe" region is 120-130k. At 107 I'd concern myself more with ensuring that all the driveline parts had had their lube services (diffs, trans, TC etc). These, and even the hydraulic fluid for the suspension were all done at either 60 or 90k on the 2003 I picked up last week for resale which along with being a 1 owner Texas truck went a long way to why I snagged it.

Last edited:
Did anyone get their 90k done lately if so how much did you pay? if you guys don't mind me asking I'm pretty the OP would benefit from this question too :)

I had it done on my 2000 LX at a Toyota dealer in 2013 and I think it was 500.00 or so. It's a very vague recollection at this point.

EDIT: Geez, time passes fast. I went and looked at my old posts to see when I last posted here and it was 2012 not 2013. Still, it's pretty constant.

I just had my 90,000 service done at 170,000, yep.... i assumed original owner had done maintenance. ...... Never Assume That....

original timing belt, original water pump, original valve cover gaskets ( reason i took it in ), original spark plugs. I also had them replace all fluids in diffs to synthetic.

also did fuel filter at 160,000, it was muddy looking as contents poured out. . i use mobil 1 oil hope to keep this motor going.

and after all new was installed i still get 16mpg as when i took it in. ha ha ha ha. this is a BEAST !!! and still takes me anywhere i need to go or don't need to go.

Now, if it's true that the 2UZ-FE is non-interference, then who cares who really.

You do, or should. A broken timing belt is not something you want to have happen at the best of times, but its more likely to happen when its most inconvenient. Why have a crisis when you can simply do it and be done for another 100K mile plus?

I just did belt #2 this weekend. All pulleys, tensioners, water pump etc (not the fan bracket, replaced that separately last year) with toyota parts cost me around $650 for everything (including coolant and oil change)

You should be ok till 140-150k. Thats when I usually see them starting to crack. I'm a lexus tech so I see a few of them. But to be on the safe side I wouldn't push 120k. Its going to be done sooner or later so pony up the $$$. And if you tackle it yourself, its a no brainer to do it at the recommended intervals rather than pushing it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom