How heavy are you? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What about “Water: 5 gallons in dromedary bags on floor“? I take it you out MSR bags of water in your floor on your trips. Please expound. Arent they vulnerable to leaking? Do you out your camp gear on top of them? Interesting idea, but dont fully understand.

What about “Water: 5 gallons in dromedary bags on floor“? I take it you out MSR bags of water in your floor on your trips. Please expound. Arent they vulnerable to leaking? Do you out your camp gear on top of them? Interesting idea, but dont fully understand.
So far they have proven leak resistant. They sit just behind the drivers seat on the floor board, and perfectly take up the dip in the floor so my sleeping pad stays flat in that area. Plus it keeps the ~40# forward and low, where it is unlikely to slide around from hard driving or off-roading. All that sits on top of it is some light camping gear and a duffel.

I used to keep a milk crate with four gallons in it but found it took up a lot of space and had to be strapped down to the cargo anchors to avoid sliding around. Every time I stopped to sleep it had to get unstrapped and moved to the top of the cooler. Very inefficient.

I’ll try to remember to get some pictures of the setup next trip take.

Oh, and I use an old CPAP machine I was given to dry them out after a trip. Works perfectly.

So far they have proven leak resistant. They sit just behind the drivers seat on the floor board, and perfectly take up the dip in the floor so my sleeping pad stays flat in that area. Plus it keeps the ~40# forward and low, where it is unlikely to slide around from hard driving or off-roading. All that sits on top of it is some light camping gear and a duffel.

I used to keep a milk crate with four gallons in it but found it took up a lot of space and had to be strapped down to the cargo anchors to avoid sliding around. Every time I stopped to sleep it had to get unstrapped and moved to the top of the cooler. Very inefficient.

I’ll try to remember to get some pictures of the setup next trip take.

Oh, and I use an old CPAP machine I was given to dry them out after a trip. Works perfectly.

could you please provide a link to the ones you bought? I only see 10 liter ones at REI

could you please provide a link to the ones you bought? I only see 10 liter ones at REI
10 is the largest they make. I have two of them getting me roughly 5 gallons of water.

@Markuson @Taco2Cruiser Any updates? and throwing this to the top in case other people learned things over the summer.

Plus I have this bad boy hanging off the back.

I'm currently working with Filthy Motorsports on a 2.5 King setup and find it interesting how much emphasis they put on whether you have a full-size spare on a swingout carrier.. which makes sense I guess. Still.. "less than 100#" hanging off the back, but it must matter.

2 of these

2 of these

Also check out Swiss Army surplus water bags.
(just one source)

Parameters: 7/12/2020- Daily driving with an empty 24 gal aux tank.

Front Axle- 3440 lbs
Rear Axle-4040 lbs
Combined-7480 lbs

I immediately found 50 lbs worth useless and redundant object in the drawers, and removed it. Theoretically, I’m down to 3990 lbs in the rear, with a combined weight of 7430 lbs with an empty aux tank, 7575 ish (4135 lbs rear axle) with a full aux tank.

I’m currently running OME NitroCharger shocks in the rear while my King 2.5s are being revalved by Filthy. The shop that originally spec’d and installed swears nothing is wrong, but the OME’s feel 1000x better. Hell, the factory Toyota shocks felt more stable before the upgrade! I’m looking forward to the results of Ben’s autopsy, and finally ending my year-long suspension headache.

Since this topic popped back up, this was my weigh-in ~2 years ago. Not much has changed, except I built a single drawer to store some of my crap. According to my notes:

"Fully loaded cruiser (2 adults (300#), 3 kids (240#), 1 big dog (75#), full cooler (75#?), 2 kayaks on the roof (70#)... Truck currently has a Gamiviti roof rack, Trail Tailor front bumper with Warn winch, White Knuckle sliders, 34" Nitto tires, and easily 50# of recovery gear in a bag in the trunk"

From Towing with a 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/towing-with-a-200-series-toyota-land-cruiser.932343/post-12394410...

1623780037531.png

Great to know the 200-series has big bones and can take it. Not apples to apples here but I've really needed to keep my rig light to keep its payload for heavy towing.

This was from a year ago to checkout WD tension after a sensor lift (needs more WD). Doesn't include some minor weight gain from 35s, sliders, etc. But full tank of gas including 12.5gallon LRA, family of 4 (2 small children) aboard, and trailer that weighs ~8,000lbs

She's probably just over 15k combined as she sits today, but handles herself surprisingly well with re-geared 4.3s and BBKs. AHC has no problems (other than not lifting to high on demand), but it dials in just the right spring rate and damping for smooth towing. I did add airbags recently to take some of the load so I can re-gain high on demand with 1200lbs tongue weight.

7UXdv24sUNjWuWsStVT5MlvfNewiF9lBBhTFVTkOceQcAIx4ABmN7l9Mcb7zRMVeMJFuDFcug9lA_C2CgBQ60ZcMak3oKPcc38xlBmU6s_gtexATjNz_AGECLhCUqSmOCZ8PNLIgClMJRjsywUE4Zp-Doj-UqMBAwbA1oceEM9iPQkneAQjG60HMCqILoKNObLn3axOPZqbvlMcp5Ulf9kwUtGXYetbgZjliNHaaTY2isg43H8JsUhXnNunvYfKa9X_oiWwX21FuBUzhcFF22thP3kp0gRdLBd8ZNPKA2CjfuxPAxfQDBZm9YNCPk2BRQY-De7Y_nzqiJ7CvMBUkDLlmjSIPrfc_4Flh4DgzzDJOjh_KNlYVcfzBEQN9GSEtZ73xzVLaT5ojIprr9T7ZdcihYJaETshgQPwrfqidj4BJogC6QO9Arlb10dem-7ZyN1u9Lm2M__xf9-dN8XyDR_ntj6KA8N6jyb7heueybbmXi15_HRIaFYb8pjWluhBcgNISq4jcSBUWr0PQzCaa3MIyvKfjWlUwocEn8srJjtfhWsxztgU0QBFS7vy5WFAE2_WqW3HQmc2vef6ii5LgNq1F2QQbEpLNrAfjSLPMKXL-f32ojk9YO_lMntBW5KSfJEwrN7WKsXin5u3-A7V2Ee89m-ILbKdbv9HtmRCK6a3fifvd93yFkt54Ourjvse0lDHw1hL86AYKfVXhBvvffVpp=w452-h927-no

Last edited:
Bump

Arb front bumper with winch
RLC Rear with full spare (33" Falken wildpeak)
Sliders, ARB drawers with some tools
1/2 a tank and no bodies onboard

20201113_172236.jpg

This was me pulling my Conqueror which has a 350lb tongue weight. Cruiser has all the calories… bumpers, skids, 40 gallon LRA, etc…. This weight was completely full of fuel as well as 2 jerry cans on the bumper and gear for camping.

61BA7C2E-E632-41C9-8070-C338A2426B48.jpeg

10 is the largest they make. I have two of them getting me roughly 5 gallons of water.

I dislike how rigid containers have sloshing noises when off-road. Do these pouches reduce that?

I dislike how rigid containers have sloshing noises when off-road. Do these pouches reduce that?
As long as you purge the air, which is very easy to do with these, they are silent.

As long as you purge the air, which is very easy to do with these, they are silent.

That's pretty cool. Combined with the space savings you mentioned... Will take a closer look. Thx

That's pretty cool. Combined with the space savings you mentioned... Will take a closer look. Thx
When I get home I’ll snap a picture of the adapter hose intended for use as a drinking tube.. makes hanging the bag up and getting water out for drinking or cooking quite easy.

When I get home I’ll snap a picture of the adapter hose intended for use as a drinking tube.. makes hanging the bag up and getting water out for drinking or cooking quite easy.

Finally remembered to do this.. If you find a MSR "hydration bag converter kit" you'll get the following hose and cap, and a valve.

I also tied up some small harnesses for the bags from cordage to hang from the seatbelt anchor.

IMG_7440.JPG

IMG_7439.JPG

IMG_7441.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom