How good is your gas mileage?! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's cool if that's what you do, but I'm getting 10-20% more range than that with confidence. Big difference.

Range is for the Mercedes EQS. With the Land Cruiser if I can make it to nearest Costco, all is well 🤣

On a bit more serious note, I average roughly 14-15mpg mostly city driving with 300-ish miles of range. Good enough.

Couldn’t you argue that it is better to keep the fuel pump with the 4 gallons of fool in the tank as toyota intended? Cooling? Lubrication? Not an expert by any means, but that’s what I always thought.

the fuel pump is recessed, (there are pics posted on here somewhere that I’ve seen, wish I could find) I’d bet less than a gallon would keep it submerged.

on my LC, when the fuel light goes on, it will take 19.5-20.0 gallons, meaning 4.5 gallon reserve (23%). the 24.5 gallon tank, is small, why make it smaller and only use about 80%?

The way I look at it, when the light goes I have 3 gallons (+15% from 20 gallons noted above) to use before I get to a reserve.

Range is for the Mercedes EQS. With the Land Cruiser if I can make it to nearest Costco, all is well 🤣

On a bit more serious note, I average roughly 14-15mpg mostly city driving with 300-ish miles of range. Good enough.

all good, but coincidentally the eqs range of 350, matches my highway range 😜, but I’ve got 33s, a bigger fridge, and low range.

I’ve run out of gas three times, two of which were in my driveway.
It took two gallons to start the first time.
The second and third time an oem sub tank was involved, the filler of which splits the fuel flow randomly between tanks and and it took 4 and 8 to start. On an empty restart I don’t think the intratank siphon works very well. The 10 gallon was when both tanks were completely empty, and I’d restarted twice trying to limp it to the station. it died the final time about 30 ft from the gas pump. (Yes, I have since changed the way the fuel gauge reads the fuel volume for the main tank):notworthy:

The pump is in a white plastic bucket in the main tank.

Couldn’t you argue that it is better to keep the fuel pump with the 4 gallons of fool in the tank as toyota intended? Cooling? Lubrication? Not an expert by any means, but that’s what I always thought.

the fuel pump is recessed, (there are pics posted on here somewhere that I’ve seen, wish I could find) I’d bet less than a gallon would keep it submerged.

To expand on this, and as @grinchy alluded to, the pump is submerged in a removable bucket-like sump within the fuel tank that the overflow from the fuel pressure regulators on the engine return their excess fuel to. Idea being even if only an inch or two of fuel is in the tank, the pump stays fully submerged and will cool itself.

I believe the pickup into this sump is via siphon, and extra intake just overflows back into the main tank. All of this makes it so that even if the pickup itself is uncovered such as when descending a steep hill, the fuel pump has that sump’s worth of fuel to go before the lines to the rails actually receive air. Hopefully by then the vehicle is level again and refilling the sump.

Good info^ @bloc and @grinchy

i want to be conservative with fuel, and obviously not run out, but it seems as if the fuel light is over the top conservative.

is there a reason not use ~3 or so gallons of the stock reserve, just like the previous 20 gallons? That’s 15% and ~50 miles

To expand on this, and as @grinchy alluded to, the pump is submerged in a removable bucket-like sump within the fuel tank that the overflow from the fuel pressure regulators on the engine return their excess fuel to. Idea being even if only an inch or two of fuel is in the tank, the pump stays fully submerged and will cool itself.

I believe the pickup into this sump is via siphon, and extra intake just overflows back into the main tank. All of this makes it so that even if the pickup itself is uncovered such as when descending a steep hill, the fuel pump has that sump’s worth of fuel to go before the lines to the rails actually receive air. Hopefully by then the vehicle is level again and refilling the sump.
Very good info. Thanks.

I miss the old days in my VW where you drove until it ran out of gas and the engine began to "stutter," then you flipped a lever and you had about 1 gallon of gas left in reserve. Also, the manufacturer let you decide what grade of gas to use. No fuel gauge and no endless discussions of regular vs premium!

vwFuel.jpg

Last edited:
I miss the old days in my VW where you drove until it ran out of gas and began to "stutter," then you flipped a lever and you had about 1 gallon of gas left in reserve. Also, the manufacturer let you decide what grade of gas to use. No fuel gauge and no endless discussions of regular vs premium!

View attachment 2892154
You don’t even get that “feature” on motorcycles anymore.

Good info^ @bloc and @grinchy

i want to be conservative with fuel, and obviously not run out, but it seems as if the fuel light is over the top conservative.

is there a reason not use ~3 or so gallons of the stock reserve, just like the previous 20 gallons? That’s 15% and ~50 miles
As long as you are able to track that and not make mistakes I don’t see any problems. The fuel system is well-designed to protect itself even with this behavior.

It’s just taking a risk of running low.. and you seem to understand that risk.

2016 Stock LC best to date was 17.2 for 680 mile road trip (average for trip). Worst I seen is 11.8 on single tank where I was towing and going like 80+ that entire tank. Mostly I see between 15.8 and 16.4 as my average spread. I run the pump 83 stuff here in TX. I usually go about 200 miles then fill up. If I am road tripping I fill up about every 150 to 200 miles which is about all the seat time I can handle these days with out walking around for few minutes.

15 lx570 on 33’s. Last tank I got 11.5, almost all in town.
I hit the trip button when the low fuel light goes on, run the truck an extra 30 miles, and then fill up. Truck takes 19.5 to 20 gal. I’d run it longer, but Lexus beats that “low fuel” message into your skull with the dash message and random bings.

I wish that the miles for empty calculator was more accurate. On my Ford, when that sucker hits zero, I’m running on fumes.

My 2017 F-250 had a 7 gallon reserve which was insanely annoying, they ended up putting out a TSB and replaced all of the tanks and pumps to a more modest 3 gallon reserve.

2016 Stock LC best to date was 17.2 for 680 mile road trip (average for trip). Worst I seen is 11.8 on single tank where I was towing and going like 80+ that entire tank. Mostly I see between 15.8 and 16.4 as my average spread. I run the pump 83 stuff here in TX. I usually go about 200 miles then fill up. If I am road tripping I fill up about every 150 to 200 miles which is about all the seat time I can handle these days with out walking around for few minutes.
Just checking, did you mean 83 octane? Lowest I've seen is 85 at high altitude.
My LC doesn't seem to care about octane.
Best HWY I've got is 22, w/calm winds. That route is typically low 21's [I 80 from Fernley NV to E Sacramento (home)] full disclosure, I don't hammer up the Sierra to Truckee from Reno.

Just drove from Minneapolis to SLC, then Vegas and finally Yuma (AZ) - and back. It seems that wind and octane have the most impact on mileage in my experience. I saw MPG ranging from 11 - 15.5. My LC is lifted 3" with 33" KM3 tires and Icon wheels.

Not sure I see the point of tracking every tank, other than just for fun. Your averages range is from almost 21 down to 7, meaning, knowing the "range" is useless if you don't know what you are going to be doing. And if you are on regular roads, there's a gas station 5 minutes from wherever you are. If I was driving across Texas and I saw a sign that says next gas station 90 miles, I'm probably going to fill up if I'm under half a tank just to be safe.

On the fuel pump part of the equation, I get that it only needs a gallon of gas to keep it submerged, but if there is only a gallon of gas, are you getting much cooling function? You still need the volume of gas to absorb heat from the pump.

For mpg data points, My truck is probably AHC lifted a little, although I think I've brought it back close to stock. I think it was lifted when I bought it. And I'm running 34" tires, otherwise mostly stock weight. I get about 11-12mpg around town (my work commute is generally under 35mph) and I get 17.5-18.5mpg (corrected for 8% more distance covered over factory spec'd tires) on the hwy at around 75mph. When I was on my stock wheels/tires, I did about 150 miles on highway at almost 21mpg once. But that wasn't normal, not sure what was going on, maybe i had a good tailwind.

Just checking, did you mean 83 octane? Lowest I've seen is 85 at high altitude.
My LC doesn't seem to care about octane.
Best HWY I've got is 22, w/calm winds. That route is typically low 21's [I 80 from Fernley NV to E Sacramento (home)] full disclosure, I don't hammer up the Sierra to Truckee from Reno.
Yes on Octane and sorry I got numbers wrong 87 is low hear 89 mid and 93 is high her in texas

Not sure I see the point of tracking every tank, other than just for fun. Your averages range is from almost 21 down to 7, meaning, knowing the "range" is useless if you don't know what you are going to be doing. And if you are on regular roads, there's a gas station 5 minutes from wherever you are. If I was driving across Texas and I saw a sign that says next gas station 90 miles, I'm probably going to fill up if I'm under half a tank just to be safe.

On the fuel pump part of the equation, I get that it only needs a gallon of gas to keep it submerged, but if there is only a gallon of gas, are you getting much cooling function? You still need the volume of gas to absorb heat from the pump.

For mpg data points, My truck is probably AHC lifted a little, although I think I've brought it back close to stock. I think it was lifted when I bought it. And I'm running 34" tires, otherwise mostly stock weight. I get about 11-12mpg around town (my work commute is generally under 35mph) and I get 17.5-18.5mpg (corrected for 8% more distance covered over factory spec'd tires) on the hwy at around 75mph. When I was on my stock wheels/tires, I did about 150 miles on highway at almost 21mpg once. But that wasn't normal, not sure what was going on, maybe i had a good tailwind.

I don't track all my tanks, but I often do. I created an iOS "shortcuts" app that does it automatically in my iphone notes, I just enter ODO miles and gallons, and it calculates actual miles (+5% based on GPS comparison to odo) and logs it in a note.

Based on this exercise, I do know why my MPG will be based on what I'm doing. Flat highway 16-17.5, Up to 7000 ft (Tahoe) and back down 14.6, 4Lo 8-12, regular DD 15, etc.

As for the fuel pump, I learned on this forum, that Toyota actually uses piped fuel to cool the engine (as gas often boils as a result), so I'm not sure the fuel pump really needs to be "cool".

My main concern is using my tank's capacity and not running out of gas. Maybe stupid? Idk. But it seems a lot of folks are getting gas every 200 miles, when they could be getting it at 350 instead.

I don't track all my tanks, but I often do. I created an iOS "shortcuts" app that does it automatically in my iphone notes, I just enter ODO miles and gallons, and it calculates actual miles (+5% based on GPS comparison to odo) and logs it in a note.

Based on this exercise, I do know why my MPG will be based on what I'm doing. Flat highway 16-17.5, Up to 7000 ft (Tahoe) and back down 14.6, 4Lo 8-12, regular DD 15, etc.

As for the fuel pump, I learned on this forum, that Toyota actually uses piped fuel to cool the engine (as gas often boils as a result), so I'm not sure the fuel pump really needs to be "cool".

My main concern is using my tank's capacity and not running out of gas. Maybe stupid? Idk. But it seems a lot of folks are getting gas every 200 miles, when they could be getting it at 350 instead.
I guess I land in the middle on that. I usually am watching closely enough to know when I'm near E and I get gas before the light. I do also reset my trip meter every tank just so i know how much I traveled on that tank. But it doesn't mean much, because some tanks the light is coming on at 220 and some its coming on at 320. If the light comes on, I'm going to stop if I have time. I'm not comfortable having so little gas in my truck, and If nothing else, so I don't have to look at the light. Doesn't change the fact that I know that I have 40-60 more miles left if I need it in an emergency. Filling your tank earlier lets you fill the tank on your own schedule rather than getting to a point where you are forced to fill up or you will run out.

I'm not even sure what point either of us are making, if people like to stop and fill their tanks up every 100 miles, what difference does it make. We still have a gas gauge, we know how far we can go if we need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom